'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Chev Avalanche - Trailer ?s

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-07-03 4:18 PM
3 replies, 2950 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

fullmoon
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2005-07-03 2:45 PM (#27554)
Subject: Chev Avalanche - Trailer ?s

New User

Hi there. I'm new to this board and did a quick search, but didn't see any threads regarding the pros and cons of an Avalanche for towing (other than NOT to get a GN).

I currently have a 2 horse BP (that I am considering replacing with a 20' stock trailer, also BP). Would the Avalanche (2500 4wd model) have the towing capacity for this?

I -would- like the Avalanche as it suits my "dual needs" and I already have a Ford F350 (currently in need of intensive bodywork to get it roadworthy), so what I'm looking for is something that will give me a decent drive to and from work, I can toss feed in, take a passenger (or 3), get in & out of my driveway if I don't have time to plow, but will still fit in the parking garage where I work...oh, and I'd like to haul 1-3 horses.

Pricewise, I know I'd be much smarter to get a Silverado, but after driving a Sebring convertible for the past 8 years, I want something a bit more stylish that just a truck (NOI)....besides, I'll soon have my Ford back for that. ;) (Oh, and I do love my Sebring, but it's just not cut out to haul horses and I can only get 4 bales of straw in the interior and 6 bags of feed in the trunk, LOL). Thanks!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Trailer Stud
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2005-07-03 3:31 PM (#27556 - in reply to #27554)
Subject: RE: Chev Avalanche - Trailer ?s

3 horses plus people plus equipment might be a bit much (althought I do not know the exact ratings, and it also depends on the trailer, horses, and what you're using them for ( obviously a 2 week trail ride or hitting the road for rodeo will take more equipment than a trip to the vet). So what kind of horses and trailer (stock? dressing room?) are you looking to haul? I wouldn't see a problem with it hauling a couple decent sized horses in a 3 horse BP plus equipment with the 3/4 ton model.
fullmoon
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2005-07-03 3:39 PM (#27558 - in reply to #27554)
Subject: Chev Avalanche - Trailer ?s

New User

I would usually be hauling 2 horses, maybe have 1 passenger and not a lot of equipment; 2 English saddles, 2 bridles and some pads, etc. in the back seat. Couple of bales of hay (at most) and 20 gallons of water in back of truck. I normally don't haul more than 2 hours to show and most are under an hour. Oh, and the horses are 16.2-17hh and between 1200-1400 lbs. Thanks.
Rander
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2005-07-03 4:18 PM (#27560 - in reply to #27554)
Subject: RE: Chev Avalanche - Trailer ?s

I've not had experience with the Chev Avalanch but it is basically a fancy body on the basic Chev Silverado pickup chassis/frame. The Avalanche 2500 should do the job for you. It specs out very close to the 2500 Silverado 3/4 ton. It has the Vortec 8.1 L engine, heavy duty transmission and brakes and can be equipped with a heavy duty towing package that should meet your needs. The Avalance 1500 is based on the Silverado 1500 1/2 ton platform and might be a little light for what you need. That 2500 has a MSRP in the neighborhood of 42K which is more than a similar pickup would cost. But they are discounting them pretty heavily, I understand. Go for it---have fun.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)