'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Flatbed gooseneck info wanted, what is best?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-07-05 10:20 PM
9 replies, 6562 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

david
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2005-07-03 9:25 AM (#27542)
Subject: Flatbed gooseneck info wanted, what is best?

Regular

I am in the market for a 24 ft or 26ft , gooseneck flatbed trailer. I need to haul hay and the tractor every now and then. Iam going to pull it with a Dodge 3500 Quad cab dually, Cummins motor. Does any body have any advice on what brand pulls well. I have an 1978 24ft Hillsboro and it is been great, they seem to be one of the more high price ones. It has the old 14.5 donut wheels. I would like duall tandem wheels are they worth the extra money.Any info would be great. Also I have borrowed a Rolls Rite brand with duall tandems and when empty it will under certain load condition make my truck get to jerking so bad I have to push in the clutch til it stops . This has never happened with the Hillsboro. Thanks
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-07-03 10:40 AM (#27544 - in reply to #27542)
Subject: RE: Flatbed gooseneck info wanted, what is best?

Expert

"Best" is subjective.
Hillsboro certainly seem to be very good, though not "best" (lowest) price.
I think Hudson has an economy line, you'd probably do better looking at equipment trailers. Also ask the question in a construction equipment oriented discussion group.

WRT donut wheels: Do you mean field wheels ? I think they're not supposed to be used on the public roads.

WRT the one that jerks your truck around: That could be due to a bad coupler, neck or brakes.

OT: I have a Hillsboro alumin flat on my truck - NICE !
Partly as a result of having something Hillsboro I've noticed that they have what looks to be a substantially built line of horse trailers now.
I havn't checked into pricing yet as I've only seen the slant loads at a show, so didn't get to the "How Much ?". Anyway, Lucky's in Royalston VT is carrying them, so I might enquire - sometime.

MrTruck
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-07-03 1:55 PM (#27548 - in reply to #27542)

Elite Veteran

Tandem duals are the best but more expensive than triple singles. Featherlite makes a nice flatbed. Since flatbeds are relatively easy to build, allot of local shops build them. So do a search on the web and you should turn up allot near you.

I had a 32' and 33'. I started with the trailer house donut wheels and switched hubs with the 6 bolt Chevy wheel. Then up to 8 bolt wheels on my last trailer. You might even luck out and get the same wheels as your truck. Also I started with shackle springs and repaired and repaired and then went to slipper springs and never worked on them again.

On flat beds hauling bigger loads, I like the slipper springs that have an equalizer. Torsion axles are independent and going over a rail road crossing ridge can put all the weight on the axle at the peak. I had a bed on the neck to for more hauling capacity, but wouldn't recommend it unless you are using a tall tall truck like a two ton and can cut the neck down. Much weight on the neck causes problems since they can move more than a 5th wheel hitch. Also if you haul often, get the oil bath hubs but if you only haul occasionally get grease hubs. A oil bath seal can dry out on top if not used.

david
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2005-07-03 2:02 PM (#27549 - in reply to #27548)

Regular

Where did you get hubs to change over your donut wheels. And what size wheels did you use?
MrTruck
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-07-03 2:17 PM (#27551 - in reply to #27542)

Elite Veteran

Well David that was 20 years ago, but they were 6000 # axles and the 6 bolt hub which fit the Chevy wheel was common on that size of axle. I got the hubs from a trailer dealer who's in his eighties now. But the hubs fit fine, even the brakes. I could tell you stories about trailer house axles and all the donuts I went threw, both kinds. Even at 14 ply you had to keep 90 psi in those dad burned tires or they would disintegrate.

And I had triples to boot so you know the front and rear tires where trying to pop off anyway on corners. I was always overloaded so tripples helped at the DOT portable scales but they are a pain.

Rander
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2005-07-03 2:37 PM (#27553 - in reply to #27542)

David: Here's a link to an outfit that lists a good variety of goosenesk flatbed with lost of options and various manufacturers. May be a good site for getting some leads. http://www.trailersforless.com/equipment_trailers.html
trcampidilli
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2005-07-04 8:50 AM (#27565 - in reply to #27542)

New User

I had a 30' + 4' dove flatbed w/ 2 7k's, it was ok except when I put a skidloader with all attachments on and then wanted to put on a pallet of sackrete or pallet of posts. I had the room but knew the trailer wouldn't handle. So, I bought a 30' + 5' dove wtih 2 10k's and can put about anything on it. I got oilbath hubs because they were cheaper on 10k but didn't really want them because I have to drive a lot of gravel roads and the dust is hard on the seals. The bigger axles are more expensive to work on - brakes,and tires, but you can crank a circle and not worry about popping a hub. The other thing to consider is your I-beam strength, on a trailer with 7k you will probably get a 10"-12lb per foot rated beam unless you order something differant like 12"-14lb beam. On a trailer with 10k it should bee standard to get 12"-19lb beam. As for your jerking, if you have your load not right in the center,or right over the axles that is a good way to get your trailer to jerking. I hope I was of some help, if you have any more questions call Robert at Texas Trailer Ranch (thats were I got mine) tellhimTyson told ya, his number is 888-261-8319.
Dawnya
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2005-07-04 8:57 AM (#27566 - in reply to #27542)

Extreme Veteran

Why not change the axles?
We have a dove tail which is great half the time but not so great for hauling hay.  The slope is wasted space and very slick  with hay on it!
efaubert1
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-07-04 9:18 AM (#27568 - in reply to #27542)

Elite Veteran

Alot of Hillsboro's ride comes from the way they set the neck up. On the newer ones you'll notice it is angled so you get more of a up/down movement than a jerking motion if your unloaded too.
suttonbeeman
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2005-07-05 10:20 PM (#27649 - in reply to #27542)

Dawnya

Got a 29 foot redi haul with alumn bed and 3' pop up dove and fold up ramps. If you get the pop up dove it will work great for hauling hay ect and easy to load a wheeled vehicle. We haul 22k to 31k from/to Fl and Ky. Two 12k oil bath torsion dexters. Pulls great! even with 98 Dodge Rick
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)