'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Can you recommend a guide to fixing up a trailer?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-07-07 10:57 PM
5 replies, 3846 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

zazzy
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2005-07-01 3:43 PM (#27502)
Subject: Can you recommend a guide to fixing up a trailer?

Regular

I want to find out what it really takes to refurb a very nice well built trailer that is starting to lose the war with rust.  It isn't too late, but the rust progress needs to be stopped.  The floor and all that are fine, it is a steel trailer with an aluminim skin, but around the door and a few other areas the rust is getting pretty bad.

The situation is that I have a smallish, newer 2H slant that I really dislike for my new BIG horse.   I found a wonderfully built older trailer with an excellent "floor plan" but needs some work and I want to get an estimate on how much it will take/cost to refurb it.  It is the walk through straightload style build for warmblood style horses, truly heavy duty enough and big enough for my draft cross.

Sheryl

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-07-01 4:18 PM (#27503 - in reply to #27502)
Subject: RE: Can you recommend a guide to fixing up a trailer?

Expert

Originally written by zazzy on 2005-07-01 3:43 PM

I want to find out what it really takes to refurb a very nice well built trailer that is starting to lose the war with rust. It isn't too late, but the rust progress needs to be stopped. The floor and all that are fine, it is a steel trailer with an aluminim skin, but around the door and a few other areas the rust is getting pretty bad.

The situation is that I have a smallish, newer 2H slant that I really dislike for my new BIG horse. I found a wonderfully built older trailer with an excellent "floor plan" but needs some work and I want to get an estimate on how much it will take/cost to refurb it. It is the walk through straightload style build for warmblood style horses, truly heavy duty enough and big enough for my draft cross.

Sheryl

Sounds like auto body shop basics: Grind, patch, fill, prime, paint.
If you want it done vs doing it yourself I suggest you take it around to a few local body shops for estimates. Ask them to EXPLAIN their estimates. Materials are relatively cheap, so you'll be paying primarily for TIME.
Compare and contrast the quotes, go with one that doesn't have a lot of half finished jobs sitting around.
Other alternatives are to take a night class yourself at the local community college, or to have it done at the local voc tech school - sort of as OJT for a senior class sthudent (or two).
BigT
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-07-01 5:23 PM (#27504 - in reply to #27502)

Extreme Veteran

It sounds like a typical old hybred trailer built before the use of galvaneal or powder coating. If the rust is up to the point where the aluminum skin and the steel frame meet, there is probably rust under the skin. Then you  will have to remove the skin, or loosen it, to get to the source of the rust. Once you grind to bare metal, bondo if necessary, prime with epoxy, prime again, and then paint. you will then be ready to put mylar tape on the steel frame, to act as a barrier between the steel and the aluminum. If you really don't want to do this, then find another trailer, either all aluminum, or a newer hybred with sometype of rust preventive on the steel.

Edited by BigT 2005-07-01 5:27 PM
Rander
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2005-07-03 3:52 PM (#27559 - in reply to #27502)

zazzy: I'm currently in the process you describe, I'm renovating a 25 year old Hale 2 horse gooseneck that had a lot of surface rust but fortunately no structural weakness. Mine has steel skin rather than aluminum but otherwise sounds like what you are looking at doing. First, you have to decide how cosmetically perfect you want it to be. If you want it "new trailer" smooth you need to do the grinding, prime, bondo, prime, paint route. If you can tolerate a bit of "less than cosmetic" I'll share a few thngs I've learned with no guarantee they're what a pro would do. If the rusty areas are structurally sound you can use a power wire cup brush. (I use one mounted on a 4 1/2" angle grinder.) and knock the loose scaly rust off. Then get some Por-15 ( http://www.por15.com/ ) and apply it according to direction. It is a bit pricey and you must follow directions exactly for the best result. Alternatively, you can use a rust converter such as Pickelex 20 or Gemplers. They aren't as long lasting as Por-15 but cheaper and less finiky to use. Then you can apply a primer and top coat over that. The surface will still show roughness from the rust but it will be stable and look a lot better. If the rust is between the skin and frame you will have to seperate them. If it is riveted you may want to drill out the rivets until you can get to the frame and knock the loose rust off. Use some Por-15 or rust converter and prime on the frame. What I've had luck using between the skin and frame is a rubber or neoprene window and door flashing from Home Depot. It is about 4" wide and 50' long roll long and sticky on one side. I slide it between the frame and skin and pop-rivet through it. For what it's worth. I was told that when I rewired the trailer lights to run a seperate ground wire from the light and brakes back to the trailer plug and and to the ground pin on the truck plug. Supposedly using the trailer for the ground circuit sets up currents that cause accelerated corrosion at points where the aluminum skin contacts the steel framing. Hope this is some help. Sorry it got so long winder. Good luck and have fun.
Dawnya
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2005-07-03 11:08 PM (#27563 - in reply to #27502)

Extreme Veteran

Send a PM to MCWALL.
zazzy
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2005-07-07 10:57 PM (#27764 - in reply to #27502)

Regular

As much as I like the trailer, seems like a lot of work. I guess I didn't realize the extra issue that is caused by the rust being under the aluminum. It is pretty bad right there. I think I am going to keep looking for something with less rust. Thanks everyone!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)