'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Hauling CA to KY, anyone done it?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-07-03 2:06 PM
9 replies, 4292 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Quelah
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2005-06-30 6:08 PM (#27441)
Subject: Hauling CA to KY, anyone done it?

or the reverse?  I got a request to take someone's nice rig and nice horses from CA to KY, just wondering if anyone has done the trip and how long it took.  Thanks!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-06-30 7:36 PM (#27442 - in reply to #27441)
Subject: RE: Hauling CA to KY, anyone done it?

Expert

Originally written by Quelah on 2005-06-30 6:08 PM

or the reverse? I got a request to take someone's nice rig and nice horses from CA to KY, just wondering if anyone has done the trip and how long it took. Thanks!

I'd do it (-:

There have been a few other threads recently on multi-day hauling - relocation trips. From my limited experience I suggest you plan for 500 miles a day and don't expect to average much over 50 with water stops, etc., even on the interstates. I admit to having done 2500 in 4 days recently, the horses were ok with it, but I was definitely tired.
I recently found a Massachusetts law that requires horses be taken OFF the trailer after no more than 10 hours. It was probably written before the interstate system was built, these days you can traverse the whole state in under 10 hours. There may be similar laws still on the books in other States. DO check that you comply with all the requirements for every state you'll travel through. Your chances of actually getting stopped may be close to zero, but it is worth some effort to minimize the hassle factor.
It is also worth a bit more effort to find the B&Bs with stables. I found that putting horses in a stable and THEN finding a hotel was very tiring. It was also easier to rest knowing that I was within a few hundred feet of the horses at all times.

Check your legal and liability status before taking this on.
If you do it for PAY you are either an employee or a "commercial" hauler.
You might want to do it as a favor - and later accept a (large) token of appreciation. {Not a suggestion or recommendation}

Edited by Reg 2005-06-30 9:39 PM
hconley
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-06-30 9:40 PM (#27445 - in reply to #27441)

Extreme Veteran

Start out with a good maintained vechile. Is this an older horse, Is the horse healthly. Long distance traveling is stressful on all horses. Dehydration, heat and lack of ventailation is hard on thier immune system. Horses can't see that corner ahead or the car stopping in front of you, and all of that bracing can cause muscles to cramp. Use something on the floor to soak up urine and clean it out once or twice a day.
Just some food for thought. Have a good trip
Lobo
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2005-06-30 11:04 PM (#27450 - in reply to #27441)

Regular

We use http://www.horsetrip.com/ and http://www.horsemotel.com/.  We try to stop every 450-500 miles. Between these two web site's, we've managed that. 

When choosing a stop, you want to make sure that the horse space is safe and you can turn around.  Nothing like trying to back a 35 footer down a winding drive!  Some will note in their ad that they have RV hook-ups.

Edited by Lobo 2005-06-30 11:05 PM
Quelah
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2005-07-01 10:59 AM (#27483 - in reply to #27441)

Thanks Lobo, that was the kind of advice I'm looking for. 

I've had my own local hauling business for a long time, and the client is a very big name vet who was a client of mine before.  Rig is new and immaculate, horses are well behaved and healthy.  Just looking for people who've done that trip.

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-07-01 12:53 PM (#27488 - in reply to #27483)

Expert

http://www.bbonline.com/horse.html is good, has some listings that horsetrip.com doesn't.
http://www.horsetravels.com/
and
http://www.natbarn.com/STOPOVER.HTM
are also worth a look.

OK, now that I know you've actually DONE THIS PROFESSIONALLY, I'll withdraw my previous amateur advice (-:

Safe trip.
Lobo
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2005-07-01 7:06 PM (#27506 - in reply to #27483)

Regular

Originally written by Quelah on 2005-07-01 10:59 AM

Thanks Lobo, that was the kind of advice I'm looking for. 

I've had my own local hauling business for a long time, and the client is a very big name vet who was a client of mine before.  Rig is new and immaculate, horses are well behaved and healthy.  Just looking for people who've done that trip.

I want to add just a word of caution, we always used fly mask on our horses.  Until we got screen's for the window's.  There's a very, very nice gelding running barrel's who was hit in the eye with an object that flew through the window.  No screen's and no fly mask.  He's blind in that eye now, and still running barrel's. 

AbbyB
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-07-01 10:50 PM (#27512 - in reply to #27441)

Veteran

IMO, one of the best investments you can make is buying the book "US Stabling Guide".  Phone # for it is 800-829-0715 - usually runs around $25.  It lists places to stay by state & is invaluble in case you are not able to reach your planned destination & need to find another & of course, no internet access site to find one!  I literally have hauled horses from one end of the country & back - east to west & south to north & used this book ALOT.  One of my friends just hauled horses out here from MI & she bought the newest one & LOVES it, too. 

PAWALKER
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2005-07-02 5:20 PM (#27532 - in reply to #27441)

Regular

Quelah, I hauled my own three from PA to CA in November, 1998.   I hauled them from CA to TN in September, 2003 to my semi-retirement home.

On the 2003 trip they were 17, 16, and 10-1/2.

I made both trips with a 1988 Ponderosa open stock bumper pull hooked to a 1978 GMC 4WD with a custom-built 454.  I took 4 nights and 5 five days each trip.

Coming to TN, I did not pull the horses out of the trailer until we were at our lay-up.  I should add that my trailer is double floored (I added the 2nd layer) with thick mats.  No one stocked up, but I don't have Performance horses. 

My PA vet had told me that it's the superior athletic horses that will tend to stock up and possibly become ill.  Also, me hauling my Boys greatly reduced their stress because they were familiar with my "driving drill".

Make sure the health certs and coggins are in current order for each horse.

1.  Once I got my trip tik from AAA I figured my daily driving at around 550 miles.  I don't know if horsemotel.com was around in 1998, but I made use of it in 2003 and HIGHLY recommend it.  Also horseandmuletrails.com

2.  I did not change my horses' grain, but did cut rations way back.  Gave them plenty of hay and water.

3.  At each gas stop (I only have an 18 gallon tank-lol) I had small plastic pails and offered the horses BOTTLED water at each stop.  I kindly refused water out of those gas station hoses.  Anything that stinks can't be good.

4. As someone else mentioned, unless you have screens, by all means keep face masks on the horses while traveling.

My Boys dropped around 20-30 pounds apiece on the PA to CA journey.  Coming to TN they didn't drop an ounce.

Also, every place I stayed, I left the boys in Roundpens or small pastures.  That gave them the freedom to move around and stretch outside, plus kept them calmer for the long hard trailer ride the next day.

You and the horses will be warmly greeted where ever you stay.  Myy Boys were treated like they were Royalty going to CA and coming to TN.

One lay up that I well remember and that I can HIGHLY recommend was in OKLA City.  Kenn and Donna Robinson's Barn-Bed-Breakfast.  They have turned two stalls into the neatest "motel rooms"  1-877-733-2443.  Donna MAY remember me as the lady (in Sept, 2003) that blew a rr truck tire on the Freeway at supper hour going 75 MPH and I had to switch trucks with hubby so he could get my truck fixed, while I took the horses on to Kenn and Donna's.  It takes an awful lot to rattle me, but I was sure rattled that evening.

Hope this helps. If I can offer up anything else, please let me knowJudy 

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-07-03 2:06 PM (#27550 - in reply to #27441)

Expert

A lot of the fairgrounds here in the west all offer boarding. Here in Utah the Legacy Center in Farmington Utah will be packed with rigs all of July.  Many of the cowboys working the rodeo circuit lay over here between rodeos. So it must offer what they need.

I have often pulled into a fairground in the middle of a hot afternoon.  Got the horses out and hosed them down in the wash stalls.  Let them stretch while I eat something.

I don't know your route. But there are good facilites in Farmington Utah, Spanish Fork Utah, and Hurricane Utah  (all on I-15) Moab (in South Eastern Utah). I have also used the fairground in Laramie Wyo on I-80.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)