'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Skitters.....vs... Deet???

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-07-05 9:03 AM
3 replies, 3341 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

xyzer
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2005-06-30 1:49 PM (#27430)
Subject: Skitters.....vs... Deet???

Extreme Veteran

I posted this question on the trailer side of this site and figured it belonged over here so here it is....What kind of Mosquito(sp?) repellent REALLY WORKS!!! these are mean big ones! Some products say Mosquito and Fly spray and have the same ingrediants as Fly spray. Flys are easy to deal with! We use  fly sheets but can't cover everything. They drive them nuts when they are in the corral, besides the welts and itching. I talked to the Vet about using DEET and he couldn't think of a good reason why not. I have sprayed there exposed areas, use a fly mask and the DEET works for sure. If I can't find somthing that really works I'll buy several cans and stick with it. I'm just getting tired of spending big money on bottles of fly spray with mosquito stamped on it! Oh and yes they are vaccinated for WNV!

Thanks......

Clarification on Vet statement (He is a very good vet and has been at it for a long time))....He knew of no Precautionary statement in the Vet world concerning DEET. He felt if it was tested for humans for external use and follow the directions it should be reasonably safe?! I have wiped in on my dogs muzzels to keep them off and it does well with no apparent ill affects. I have wondered why the spray people haven't jumped on the DEET idea...with the WNV issue maybe there is a good reason why not! Any Vets out there with the knoledge we need? ......Just called the 1-800 # on my can of Backwoods Cutter couldn't get an answer from them ...they said talk to your VET....

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-06-30 10:57 PM (#27449 - in reply to #27430)
Subject: RE: Skitters.....vs... Deet???

Expert

Pyranha it comes in yellow containers and smells of pyrethrins.  It's semi-oily and stays on in the sweat!

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=pyranha+horse+fly+spray&hl=en&lr=&biw=1123&sa=N&tab=ff&oi=froogler

Edited by huntseat 2005-06-30 11:22 PM
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-07-01 2:04 PM (#27494 - in reply to #27449)

Expert

A lady at stable we are boarding at right now suggested pyranaha.  She said it is oily, but works great.  The flys are so thick around here it makes me wish I was already headed home.
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-07-05 9:03 AM (#27600 - in reply to #27430)

We used a "Deet" spray this weekend;  but it didn't seem to do a whole lot of good.  Maybe the Backwoods spray is better.  Used a thermal fogger on the campsite and flytape.  The bugs are really bad around here this year.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)