'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Bedding in trailer or not?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-06-30 10:34 PM
15 replies, 6543 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Flooper
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2005-06-30 8:29 AM (#27399)
Subject: Bedding in trailer or not?

Veteran

Am trailering the boys on their first long trip next week...about 450 miles. I usually only travel about 100 to 150 miles, and don't put any bedding in the trailer...just the rubber mats. I'm wondering if I should throw some sawdust on the trailer floor for the longer trip...just to absorb stuff and maybe make it a little more cushy for them. Any opinions? Does it make a difference one way or another?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
xyzer
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2005-06-30 8:51 AM (#27401 - in reply to #27399)
Subject: RE: Bedding in trailer or not?

Extreme Veteran

I always use bedding...shavings, Helps with the cleanup. I think they feel free to pee...not all the splash, also soaks it up, and gives some traction when wet.  I always haul with fly masks on to protect the eyes from external material, and also on hot days with all the windows open it tends to blow the bedding around. On real hot days you can spray the shavings and the evaporation will keep it cooler for awhile. Never tried that trick but it makes sense?! I've never had a problem with using shavings. If I had none I would use course sawdust.

Edited by xyzer 2005-06-30 8:52 AM
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-06-30 9:04 AM (#27402 - in reply to #27399)

Expert

Originally written by Flooper on 2005-06-30 8:29 AM

Am trailering the boys on their first long trip next week...about 450 miles. I usually only travel about 100 to 150 miles, and don't put any bedding in the trailer...just the rubber mats. I'm wondering if I should throw some sawdust on the trailer floor for the longer trip...just to absorb stuff and maybe make it a little more cushy for them. Any opinions? Does it make a difference one way or another?

Not to be too picky on your wording, but SHAVINGS not saw DUST !
Most of the benefit is for YOU at clean-up time. I'm more likely to use shavings if I know I'll be away and won't be able to hose the trailer out for a week or so. For me it is the dry clean-up method of choice, so I also do it in winter when I know I can't use a hose for freezing reasons.

Sounds like they're not used to it ?
If so they might be hesitant to load.
SOME horses get a bit weird if there are ANY changes in the trailer, you could spend some time watching them sniff at pine shavings. You MIGHT be able to chuck the shavings in after loading, it depends on how comfortable they are with you doing that around their rear ends and how comfortable you are doing it. I only put 4 or 5 double handfuls (NO shoveling) around the back half of each horse. I think of it ONLY as a pee absorber, not as "bedding". I don't think it makes any difference to the ride for them, unless you want to pack it 6 or 8 inches deep.

retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2005-06-30 9:05 AM (#27403 - in reply to #27399)

Expert

What xyzer said except for the fly mask. Always had a fear of a "BEE" or something getting between the mask and the horse, not good tied in a trailer running 70 mph. Ever seen what a flymask can do to an eyeball, looks like you hit it with a rasp. We don't use shavings anymore, we use nafcore, comes from the kenaf plant and last alot longer than shavings. In the trailer we wet it a little for it to expand and soften up some, just a light sprinkle or fog will do. For some info on nafcore, check with Greene Natural Fibers in Snow Hill N.C. The stuff is expensive but it cuts way down on what you have to pull out of the stalls everyday.
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-06-30 9:30 AM (#27404 - in reply to #27399)

Expert

xyzer's post reminded me of something.
Looking at the calendar and since the original post is about a longer than usual trip "next week". A little suggestion on planning for traffic jams.

I carry around a 3 gallon garden sprayer for misting the horses if I ever get stuck in traffic on "the hottest day of the year". I've only used it a couple of times and even then it probably wasn't NECESSARY, but it seemed to give them some relief. It is a backup, obviously I try to not travel at peak traffic periods, but accidents can lead to backups that hold you up for HOURS.
Don't worry, I bought it specifically for this purpose, it has NEVER had anything but clear water in it (-:
hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-06-30 9:48 AM (#27406 - in reply to #27399)

Expert

I ALWAYS use SHAVINGS, not saw dust, for the reasons already mentioned.
laxpatrick
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2005-06-30 10:00 AM (#27408 - in reply to #27399)

Veteran

We do shavings, like their stalls.  Soaks up the pee, prevents the river effect.  Used to also be more of an issue before we had a LQ with a bathroom...   Non-equine pee, that is...  Crazy horse girls.

retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2005-06-30 10:10 AM (#27409 - in reply to #27399)

Expert

REG is correct about the water mist. A shot of rubbing alcohol in the spray water helps also, aids in the evaporation process which is what makes us feel cool, works good on me too. Just need to keep it out of their eyes. We carry 25 gallons in an upright tank in the rear tack, use a 12 volt 2 gpm pump with hose and fine spray nozzle, don't use alcohol in this tank for it is also their drinking water. Longest haul I've had was from Rocky Mount N.C. to Panama City Beach Fl. and back. Once on the road we didn't stop for anything but fuel and to water the horses, kept plenty of hay in the bags and we rolled, I mean hammer down. Didn't take horses out of the trailer till we got to where we were suppose to be. Sooner you are off the road the safer you'll be.
Flooper
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2005-06-30 10:38 AM (#27413 - in reply to #27399)

Veteran

Thanks for all the advice. Great idea about the pressure tank with water to mist them down in case of traffic jam, etc.!!!! I will definitely do that. I did mean shavings, not actual sawdust...sorry for the confusion. Still can't decide if I should do it or not...mainly because as someone pointed out they haven't seen it before...and would have to stand by the back of the trailer and "investigate" for an hour or so, no doubt. They even get upset when I wash the poop residue out and it smells like trailer soap in there. Maybe I'll put some in this weekend and get them used to it. Again, thanks for the sage advice...much appreciated.
marlenaanne
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2005-06-30 12:13 PM (#27419 - in reply to #27399)

Regular

I use shavings when I haul long or short trips.  I add more for long trips.  I agree with the horses preferring to have shavings absorb and not splash.  On long trips the horses can poop a lot which can get slippery if there's nothing to mix with it.  I was also told that the shavings help with the heat factor.  Keeps down some of the road heat that warms the mats and floors.  I bring water from home for drinking ... even though they often refuse water while in trailer.  I lightly spray my shavings and walls of trailer with bug spray if it's that season.  Seems to help.  Just some other thoughts.  Good luck.
MIfarmbabe
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-06-30 12:32 PM (#27422 - in reply to #27399)

Extreme Veteran

Yep shavings here as well for reasons  as above mentioned.  

ponytails
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-06-30 12:37 PM (#27424 - in reply to #27399)

Regular

ponytails
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-06-30 12:43 PM (#27425 - in reply to #27399)

Regular

I like to use Sawdust- but it is damp- actually it is not kiln dried either. A guy down the way makes pallets and has his own sawmill- (there are lots of little saw mills in michigan) anyway- it is sawdust from poplar trees and it is raw and kinda damp. I also then put old hay or straw on top of it. one thing I have noticed is they always sort of scoot the bedding away from the front feet. seems like they want to have a solid footing there. I seem to always go on longer trips-a short trip for me is 3 hours. anyway- every horse I have will pee in the trailer and I dont mind it- actually I encourage it. If they wont pee on a long trip- they wont drink water either and that can lead to problems. I have a 96 Sidekick and the aluminum floor looks brand spanking new when we pulled the mats for the FIRST time last year.
luluwhit
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2005-06-30 1:22 PM (#27428 - in reply to #27399)

WE FOUND USING BAGGED MULCH FROM THE GARDEN STORE WORKS WELL.  IT IS ABSORBANT, NOT DUSTY, DOES NOT FLY AROUND EVEN IN OUR STOCK TRAILER.  GOOD LUCK ON YOUR HAUL.  LAURA
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-06-30 1:44 PM (#27429 - in reply to #27399)

Expert

I use sawdust without problems.  note I said sawdust not shavings....even with all windows and air vent, duest isn't a problem....
Lobo
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2005-06-30 10:34 PM (#27447 - in reply to #27428)

Regular

Originally written by luluwhit on 2005-06-30 1:22 PM

WE FOUND USING BAGGED MULCH FROM THE GARDEN STORE WORKS WELL.  IT IS ABSORBANT, NOT DUSTY, DOES NOT FLY AROUND EVEN IN OUR STOCK TRAILER.  GOOD LUCK ON YOUR HAUL.  LAURA

Peat Moss?  some use a layer of that under the shaving's or other bedding they use.  Help's with road heat build up.  Also mist whatever you put down. 

If you don't have screen's for your window's, use fly mask on  the horses.  There is a very nice gelding running barrel's in the mid-east who lost the sight in one eye due to debris flying the window and hitting him in the eye. 

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)