'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Ramps ????

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-07-04 6:03 PM
32 replies, 7731 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Rostrenga
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2005-06-28 12:40 PM (#27284)
Subject: Ramps ????

Veteran

I am ordering a new trailer, I am thinking about loading ramps at the rear doors. please post all pros and cons, as I have never had a trailer with ramps. Thanks
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
FordLvr
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2005-06-28 12:55 PM (#27289 - in reply to #27284)
Subject: RE: Ramps ????

I used ramp loads a few times and have two thaughts. When the ramp was wet (raining out), even with rubber matts on the ramp, the horses slipped on it. Potentially dangerous had a horses slipped off the side and skined itself on the ramp edge (thank goodness this didnt happen). Second, when trying to teach a horse that is scared to load that trailers are not as scary as they think, we like to lead the horse till just its head is in. We then let horse sniff and due what ever it needs to to decide its okay to load. This may be a very lengthy procedure and takes a lot of repetiton until the horse really accepts the fact that trailers are okay and not going to eat them. With a ramp load, this method is very dificult because scared horses will pull back at the bottom of the ramp which is a few feet away from even getting to the big scary trailer (LOL). Just my experience but Im sure others love ramp loads.
MIfarmbabe
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-06-28 1:01 PM (#27290 - in reply to #27284)

Extreme Veteran

I have never owned a ramp load trailer until the one I have now. I wasn't sure if I would like having one or not but the trailer I purchased already came with one attached. So far I really dig it. My horse has always been a super loader/unloader so he has no issues with it. I have loaded him and unloaded him in rain and the ramp was not slippery at all. One more thing that is a bonus with having a ramp is that it is easier to get saddles in and out of the rear tack since you are higher versus being on the ground. The ramp is lightweight and easy to lift. I can understand potential problems with having a ramp for young or bad loaders. You just need to do your ground work before believing any horse will load into any type of trailer.
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-06-28 1:18 PM (#27293 - in reply to #27284)

Expert

I've had ramps for nearly 20 years now and I can say they are the way to go FOR ME.  I get young, old, lazy, crippled, injured, cranky and everything inbetween types of horses and I've NEVER had one injured on the ramp.  I have had several injured on step up/down trailers.  They judge the distance wrong and step just right to skin themselves or bruise a precious leg.

You can't beat the versatility when you add a ramp.  Imagine pulling out the center divider and taking the lawnmower in for service!  Instant moving van!

In some countrys, horse trailers only come with ramps, ever wonder why?

I will caution you to lift the ramp several times.  Not all ramps are created equal!

xyzer
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2005-06-28 1:33 PM (#27295 - in reply to #27284)

Extreme Veteran

My old trailer didn't have much of a step up......the new one is a big step up! Wish I had one! It is a lot cheaper to get it put on at the factory!....I know!

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-06-28 2:12 PM (#27297 - in reply to #27284)

Expert

I prefer them, the horses that I chauffer around seem to be ok with them.
Only thing I'd add, for the OP who hasn't used them before, is to carry around a few short lengths of 2 x 6 to use as packing pieces for when you HAVE TO load/unload on uneven ground and need to shim up one corner of the ramp. No matter how sturdy your trailer is many horses get nervous if they step on a ramp and one corner goes down about 3 inches - and ramps DO flex.

arroyoseccofarm
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2005-06-28 5:11 PM (#27310 - in reply to #27297)

Veteran

Great idea, Reg.

Re ramps:  Love 'em!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  There is no downside for me.

NoSpam
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-06-28 5:42 PM (#27313 - in reply to #27284)

Veteran

My new (to me) trailer has a ramp.  My horses seem to really like it.  They have been hauled alot in a step-down trailer, and despite being seasoned haulers, still hurry a bit after that first step down.  With the ramp, they back out slower and more carefully, which I greatly prefer. 

Happy Trails,

Michelle

KelanSasu
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-06-28 8:53 PM (#27322 - in reply to #27284)

I will not load or help load a horse into a trailer without a ramp. Period.

KS
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-06-29 7:58 AM (#27349 - in reply to #27284)

Expert

I have no preference. I have never used a ramp. My horses seem to load/unload fine without it. If you get a trailer with a ramp and later figure you don't like it, they can generally be removed.
gabz
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-06-29 12:43 PM (#27372 - in reply to #27349)

Expert

Lots of pros and cons....

What I have noticed is that with the large LQ trailers, they sit pretty high... so asking a horse to step down, backing up from one of those trailers would be dangerous. A ramp would be necessary.

I do not like bending over, behind horses, to raise a ramp. Puts my head in kicking range. So if I ever had a ramp, I would want doors too. Adds quite a bit of weight to a trailer.

I have tried many different ramps - new and used. They seem to be too heavy and awkward to my liking. Maybe it's because I'm old and short.

I didn't like working with one young horse on a ramp because I had to stand on the ground - next to the ramp - which put the horse higher than me - very uncomfortable position from a getting kicked standpoint.

If I had small horse(s) (under 15 hands), I would seriously consider a ramp. If the horse is able to turn around to unload - not so much of a problem, but if the horse must back out on a high step... not a good thing.

I like step-ups because the horse will automatically lower their head to step into the trailer (balance thing).
I don't have to worry about where my feet are if I have to get out of the way in a hurry.
I like step-ups because when they get old and rusty - I don't have to worry about the ramp falling off or getting hung up in a "closed" position when/if a hinge or spring fails.

The ramp is in the way once you unload, unless you close it - which means you can't use the back of your trailer (unless of course, you have a half-wide ramp like someone on here has) or a suitable emergency exit doorway (full-height with a step). I've seen people and horses trip over a ramp that was left in the down position. Some tie rings (most notably on 2H trailers) are at the back corner so if the horse is tied, it's banging into the ramp if it doesn't stand still.

When parking on uneven ground, it's unsteady (use blocks of wood like Reg said)... and I do camping, etc.

My 15" wheels and no underbody holding tanks puts the floor of my trailer down very close to the ground. One of the reasons I chose it.

huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-06-29 2:04 PM (#27377 - in reply to #27284)

Expert

I have never heard of a person getting kicked in the head while putting a ramp up/down.

I have heard of horses breaking a leg by sliding under a step-down and thus being put down.

I have had plenty of horses that upon the backing out portion raise their heads and bash them open while exiting the trailer.  Daily meds or ramp?  I choose ramp.

farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-06-29 3:26 PM (#27379 - in reply to #27284)

Expert

Oh please- seriously, there have been accidents loading on a ramp or without. Its not a safety issue- some people perfer them and thats ok. Horses are capable of jumping 5 ft, I think they can also manage to step up or down out of a larger trailer. If you want, try out a ramp, you can always take it off if you're not happy with it.

gabz
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-06-29 5:21 PM (#27380 - in reply to #27377)

Expert

Hunt - I've never SEEN a person get kicked in the head, but I saw a VERY near miss....

chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-06-29 6:58 PM (#27385 - in reply to #27379)

Expert

Originally written by farmbabe on 2005-06-29 4:26 PM

Oh please- seriously, there have been accidents loading on a ramp or without. Its not a safety issue- some people perfer them and thats ok. Horses are capable of jumping 5 ft, I think they can also manage to step up or down out of a larger trailer. If you want, try out a ramp, you can always take it off if you're not happy with it.

exactly

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-06-29 9:21 PM (#27391 - in reply to #27380)

Expert

Originally written by gabz on 2005-06-29 5:21 PM

Hunt - I've never SEEN a person get kicked in the head, but I saw a VERY near miss....

Not to pick on you Gabz, but I at least TRY to not get behind the horses when lifting the ramp. I get to an outside corner, much safer and you still have all the leverage.
I'm putting 3 and 2 together and not getting 4, but if you have a back issue with ramps AND worry about getting kicked in the head - well, I'd guess you're bending down, loosing sight of the horses and lifting with your back instead of your legs.
Obviously I could be wrong, I've never seen you close a ramp (-:
MBRA518
Reg. Sep 2004
Posted 2005-06-30 10:11 AM (#27410 - in reply to #27377)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by huntseat on 2005-06-29 3:04 PM

I have never heard of a person getting kicked in the head while putting a ramp up/down.

I have heard of horses breaking a leg by sliding under a step-down and thus being put down.

I have had plenty of horses that upon the backing out portion raise their heads and bash them open while exiting the trailer.  Daily meds or ramp?  I choose ramp.

(second hand story here but) There was a woman in Onatrio a few years ago crushed by a ramp when the horse freaked out and ran backwards as she was lifting it. I agree you should be off to the side when lifting a ramp - and people have been injured in accidents on a step up too... but something to consider. I personally wouldn't reject a ramp for that reason - it's just something to be consious of if you have one.

I've had both. I, and my horses, prefer a step. My one horse sliped on my old ramp once - and even though I installed rubber mats to teh ramp after that and he never slipped again in 4 yrs... he would still rush off the trailer and stop once all 4 feet where on soilid ground. WHen I first got the new trailer he did the same and was very nervous backing off. But now after only about 5 rides in the new trailer - he back off slowly and calmly... He seems very pleased with the new set up :D

Most horses I've had don't seem to mind either - but Luc definatly is more comfortable with the step.

retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2005-06-30 10:22 AM (#27412 - in reply to #27284)

Expert

I kinda like the idea of a ramp over doors type setup. I believe that this may be a little safer setup plus it's much stronger. Think about getting tagged from the rear by someone yaking on their cell phone. Our trailers don't have ramps, next one I buy will have a ramp at every door, including the LQ. I'm stuck in a wheelchair so my thinking is "you can't have too many ramps".
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-06-30 10:46 AM (#27415 - in reply to #27412)

Expert

Re getting crushed by a ramp.
We DID notice that SOMEONE managed to pull the butt bar's retaining pin out with his tail one time. This could have turned nasty if we hadn't seen it and he had started to back out while the ramp was being lowered. I give full credit to the other human present for noticing it - I didn't, but I check more carefully now before I unlatch the ramp (-:

Live and learn - if you live through it.
ponytails
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-06-30 1:03 PM (#27426 - in reply to #27284)

Regular

I prefer a trailer with out a ramp for the horses. I had a few bad things happen when I owned one and - well I dont  want another one. BUT!!! I sure wish I had one when I have to haul the lawn tractor around!!!!

NOW !! I have an idea for a great trailer invention-this would be better than the big change in trailers since slant loads.... are you all listening ??  I would love it if there was a ramp on every horse trailer- that slid under the trailer. so there would be none of this lifting, no hinges or springs, just some sort of roller system and the ramp disapeared under the trailer. so- then there would be no more debate about ramp or no ramp- every body would have what they needed when they needed it. some horses hate ramps- they had a bad fall in the rain or what ever. some horses dont like to hop up or down to get out and people like me- I would have the ramp for hauling lawn tractors and stuff like that.

wonder why somebody dont make one of these ??

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-06-30 1:16 PM (#27427 - in reply to #27426)

Expert

I actually thought of that the last time we moved.  As I was hauling the freezer up the ramp I told my husband a ramp like that woud be nice on the horse trailer.  He thought I was nuts.

I talked to a welder neare my house about addding one and he said it would add to much weight.  ???  He has tried to talk me out of everything I wanted to do to my trailer.  I think he doesn't like working on them.  Too bad he is the only one in the area.

jltlawns
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2005-06-30 4:15 PM (#27436 - in reply to #27284)

New User

Dont do it, stay away from ramp's. hers my nightmare.  Great horse would load into any thing. Then one day I returned from a ride and were unloading from my older two horse trailer. The horse was backing down on the wet ramp. He stopped for just a second on the top and BOOM he went down. He slid down the ramp for about 4'. He got up with no injury.  NOW YOU CANT GET HIM CLOSER THAN 5' to the trailer and he stops...PERIOD.

Take a step up and hes on his way. I cut the ramp off on the trailer and made a door. STILL HE HAS NOTHING MORE TO DO WITH THIS TRAILER...thats now been 6 weeks working with him.. ANYONE PLEASE HELP..yes Ive tried feeding him in it. but his neck is longer that the trailer..Thanks

GOOD LUCK

retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2005-06-30 4:29 PM (#27438 - in reply to #27284)

Expert

Did you try loading him as soon as he fell down? If not he had a while to think about it and now his mind is made up, NO WAY. Load him as soon as he gets up and the bad experience goes away and he remembers coming out with out slipping. Like falling off the horse or bike, get back on now cause by tomorrow you may not want to do this anymore.
MIfarmbabe
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-06-30 4:38 PM (#27440 - in reply to #27436)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by jltlawns on 2005-06-30 5:15 PM

Dont do it, stay away from ramp's. hers my nightmare.  Great horse would load into any thing. Then one day I returned from a ride and were unloading from my older two horse trailer. The horse was backing down on the wet ramp. He stopped for just a second on the top and BOOM he went down. He slid down the ramp for about 4'. He got up with no injury.  NOW YOU CANT GET HIM CLOSER THAN 5' to the trailer and he stops...PERIOD.

Take a step up and hes on his way. I cut the ramp off on the trailer and made a door. STILL HE HAS NOTHING MORE TO DO WITH THIS TRAILER...thats now been 6 weeks working with him.. ANYONE PLEASE HELP..yes Ive tried feeding him in it. but his neck is longer that the trailer..Thanks

GOOD LUCK

Key words here "older trailer". The "newer trailer" ramps in my opinion are better than they used to be. Less slip, lighter, you get the idea.

xyzer
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2005-06-30 7:41 PM (#27443 - in reply to #27284)

Extreme Veteran

I know I'm a bit over trucked....but my older 2 horse side by side has a half ramp...you can take it off if ya want...has good ventalation on those hot days....is self cleaning...and they don't bang there head on the way out! and it has a saddle rack on both sides! They just don't makem like the used to!

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)