'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
2005 Hawk trailer problems !!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-07-18 9:12 AM
13 replies, 8288 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

highgatefarm
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-06-28 1:43 AM (#27258)
Subject: 2005 Hawk trailer problems !!

Regular

I picked up my 2005 Hawk 2 horse LQ gooseneck from Salt Lake City, UT last Thursday night where I meet a driver who gave me the pink slip and split.  On my way back to California I stopped at a well lit truck parking lot and checked the trailer out better.  First thing much to my dismay they had covered the dressing room with steel skin no holes for outlets wires gas lines, etc...I had told the dealer that sold me the trailer several times that it was going to a conversion company and to leave it bare ribs inside the dress area.  When I talked to the dealer the next moring he said no one told him to leave it empty.  When I called Hawk they told me they send all there trailers finished with steel inside to the conversion companies in the midwest.  They said the steel skin makes it stronger.  No kidding, this trailer is like a tank and with wood on top of steel with cabinets I am afraid my 2003 f-250 power stroke will not handle the load.  As is empty, It pulled fine coming home but felt it was close to the hauling limite. At rolling, stopping, or going, it feels like the coupler is banging into the hitch.  It got started to bug me and could not see how any horse could deal with that.  The ball is the right size 2 5/16 just like the coupler calls for.  It feels like there is slack in the coupler.  It did not pop off, thank God.  No matter how slow I stopped and started it jerk the bed.  Brakes or no brakes. 

I could never get my brakes adjusted right.  So rode with them off the trailer in stop and go traffic.  Still the hitch clunked against the coupler.  They were either to much or to little.  And at times felt like they were not working the trailer at all.  At the end of my trip home my brakes felt stiff like they had back pressure.  Once I unhooked the trailer they were fine.  It was a bumpy jerky ride for 9 hours.  High speed highway was fine.

Last but not least the door locks are really scketchy, the pass through door is broken and will not open at all, thankful it is stuck in the closed position.

They did not bring the inside wheel wells up the wall like I asked.  I pray my horse will not climb on them.

They put 4' windows in the gooseneck, I asked for 3'.  Now I have no room for bunk cabinets like I planned.

The wood planks vary in size down to 3" and are split at places were they were screwed in.

I think this is a great trailer, but am so disapointed that this is hardly the trailer I ordered and the workmanship is lame.  It was like here ya go to bad its not all that you ordered its yours.  I don't know what to do.  I am taking it to a dealer on Weds. to have the coupler and the brakes looked at.  I am waiting to hear back from my conversion company to see if it is ok that there is now steel sheets welded to the frame in the dress LQ area that he no has to drill through.  Any Advice out there ???

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-06-28 11:05 AM (#27270 - in reply to #27258)
Subject: RE: 2005 Hawk trailer problems !!

Expert

Take it back and call HAWK headquarters.  I'm betting your dealer didn't do something upon ordering.  I have never heard ocmplaints like this about Hawk before.

If it's not the trailer you ordered then it's not the one you'll be paying for(tell them this).  I bet you are wishing you'd inspected it before you took delivery.

Last resort call your lawyer.

Erin_CBT
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2005-06-28 12:25 PM (#27281 - in reply to #27258)

Definitely call Hawk and keep talking higher and higher until someone will work with you. You shouldn't have to make do with a trailer that doesn't meet your expectations. Hawk has a good reputation and I'm sure they want to keep it that way! If all else fails, a lawyer is a good idea.

gabz
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-06-28 12:46 PM (#27285 - in reply to #27258)

Expert

wow - sorry to hear of your trouble.

So far as your coupler ... I am wondering if you were connected correctly? Was the coupler fully opened when you dropped it onto the ball? and then locked closed?

xyzer
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2005-06-28 1:07 PM (#27291 - in reply to #27258)

Extreme Veteran

What kind of a hitch in the truck are you using? Filp over...turn over?

Edited by xyzer 2005-06-28 1:08 PM
highgatefarm
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-06-29 9:03 AM (#27352 - in reply to #27258)

Regular

Thanks for the reply's.  I hooked up the trailer yestrerday totally myself.  The first time since the delivery driver hooked me up.  When I un-hooked after the trip home from Salt Lake City I noticed it was really hard to crank the hitch up off the ball.  I had to move my truck around and it finally came loose.  I think the guy did not hook me up right.  It was his first job since He was fired from his last hauling gig he told me.  Great...hu.  He insisted the hitch was on and I told him no I could see the pin was not all the way down.  The new paint made it hard to manuver.  Thank God I was in the bed making sure it was in.  I must have be lined up weird or yes maybe the coupler was not in the right open position.  I drove it around yesterady and low and behold it pulled the way a gooseneck should.  No jerking on the ball take off or stop.  As far as the other stuff....I talked to my conversion company and a couple other at random company's and they all said they could work around the steel skin inside the LQ area.  Just extra weight but should not add to much they said, right it adds about 800lbs.oh well.  The extra large windows in the gooseneck prevent me from haveing the cabinets I planned for months, but thats life.  I don't think hawk would give me another trailer beacuse the windows are to big above the sink and bunk or because they put up steel skin, and low profile wheel wells.  I will ask what they are going to do for me. 

The big thing for me was the wheel wells in the horse area.  I do think Hawk should pay to have them slope up to the wall higher if my big filly starts stepping on top of them.  They will pay to replace the floor and bulkhead latch under warrenty. 

I do think this is an beautiful custom trailer, wish you could see it.  I have learned a great great lesson.  Never never buy a trailer unless you see it first ( before delivery ), even if you think you have every detail worked out.  Handing a check that big to a guy in the middle of the night, tied, and confussed about what opptions you got is a bad idea.  Very Stressful.  I blame my dealer for not relaying my order correctly.  He lied about the wheel wells, interior, and windows.  I will keep the trailer and see how it works for me if not then sell it in a couple years and try again.

Thanks all for the support, I love the site !  T 

Kay
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-06-29 11:38 AM (#27362 - in reply to #27258)

Extreme Veteran

I am so sorry for your disappointment when you must have been really excited about getting your hands on your new trailer.  It sounds like the dealer screwed up when he ordered the trailer.  Hawk is wonderful about customizing and changing to suit the customer.  There are smaller windows available, as well as other changes.  The communications must not have been too good on this unit.  We sell lots of Hawk trailers, and have made some requests that I expected to have denied, but they just bend over backwards to make the trailer the way we want it.  Also, it sounds like the coupler was not on the ball correctly or completely.  You may have just been lucky that all it did was clunk and bang.  It takes quite a bump to make a Fulton or Atwood (the brands Hawk uses) gooseneck coupler jump off the ball, so even if it was not latched, it easily could have stayed in place.  Good luck in finishing your conversion.  All the extra strength and insulation in that double wall should serve you well. 
NoSpam
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-06-29 12:06 PM (#27367 - in reply to #27258)

Veteran

Hi,

Did they write you up an order?  I couldn't tell from your post.  If there's a written special order and major things are wrong, I would definitely ask them to take it back & fix it.  If it's just a verbal order, then I'd still contact the manufacturer & give them a chance to make it right.

Happy Trails,

Michelle

highgatefarm
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-06-30 1:48 AM (#27393 - in reply to #27258)

Regular

I never had a complete order faxed or emailed to me.  The wheel well issue was verbal and he said it would not be an extra charge.  I see in my list of options that he did send that I had orderd 22" + 36" Louvered windows for the gooseneck.  That is 3' not 4'....I am going to fax this to Hawk and find out were the brake down happen and see what they can do to make me feel better about these giant windows.  Not a lot of privacy unless you pull the shade all the way down.  I rode in the back and it is a very nice ride for my horse.  I had to take the divider out to get my horse in and it was easy to remove.  I will find out what happen.  I would like to tell people to buy a Hawk.  Thanks all...
grinanride
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2005-06-30 8:48 AM (#27400 - in reply to #27258)

New User

Sounds like you will have a really nice trailer, my Hawk is great! but, the dealer must not have ordered it exactly like you wanted, I would sure be calling the dealer to see what they would do since they are the ones that tell Hawk what to build.
Ray
RodeoRosa
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2005-07-11 8:24 AM (#27882 - in reply to #27258)

New User

which conversion company were you taking your trailer to?
highgatefarm
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-07-11 9:54 AM (#27886 - in reply to #27258)

Regular

Bottom line is I am not happy with these giant over sized gooseneck and galley windows ( I have no room for cabinets ), steel lining in dress area, and low profile wheel wells.  Every one of these areas was gone over in detail with my dealer.  I have asked to see the order form Hawk recieved from him.  I have also asked him to send me the trailer I ordered and take this one back.  Hawk said they built the trailer to the dealers specks.  He is blaming my conversion company.  I asked JR Interiors if they had ordered these huge windows and they said absolutly not.  That they would never change anything without my ok.  The dealer said he was going to call JR this week and set him straight, that JR Interiors is a liar.  wow....I told him I just want the trailer I ordered, why should I settle.  I love the trailer but I want it built to my specks not someone else.  Otherwise I would have bought a trailer off a lot.  I will let you know how it turns out.  I hope they build me my trailer and send it out ASAP.  Summer is so short where I live.
highgatefarm
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-07-11 11:20 PM (#27941 - in reply to #27258)

Regular

My dealer emailed me this morning with my options.  The well give my money back and come get the trailer.  They will build me the right trailer.  They will give me some money back on the trailer I have.  I am very happy to have these options but now have to decide which one to take them up on.   
highgatefarm
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-07-18 9:12 AM (#28182 - in reply to #27258)

Regular

My deal and or Hawk changed there mind and have only given me one option.  Keep the trailer.  I will have to take what they decided to build not what I ordered.  I am taking it to the conversion company and as long as they can work around the steel liner I wont have to go to battle with the dealer and or company.  I expect to be compensated for this disapointment, very frustrating to say the least.  I learned you need to have everything in writing and signed.  If I had to do it again I would have insisted on pictures of the whole trailer before they brought it to me.  It is better to buy local I think now.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)