'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Black trailer Skin ?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-06-27 7:17 PM
13 replies, 6360 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Palmetto
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-06-27 8:23 AM (#27179)
Subject: Black trailer Skin ?

I am looking at a aluminum cherokee trailer with black skin, and want to know everyones thoughts on black skinned trailers.  I know that black draws heat, but they sure look good.

I am hoping to get an idea that I have not thought of yet; out of this thread.

Thanks

Phillip

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-06-27 8:31 AM (#27181 - in reply to #27179)
Subject: RE: Black trailer Skin ?

Expert

I wouldn't get it unless it was totally insulated.  They do look nice when they are clean.
FordLvr
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2005-06-27 8:47 AM (#27185 - in reply to #27179)

I have a white skin trailer and it takes a lot of work to keep those black streaks off of it from the aluminum roof and window trim. While I love the trailer and dont plan to replace it anytime soon, I have always thought in my mind that my next one will have colored skin. Integrety sells trialers in black, red or yellow skin. Just my 2 cents..good luck!
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-06-27 9:49 AM (#27194 - in reply to #27181)

Expert

Originally written by hav2ride on 2005-06-27 9:31 AM

I wouldn't get it unless it was totally insulated.  They do look nice when they are clean.
hey theres 2 things we agree on. i have a white trailer, yes the black streaks are a pain, but in the intrest of the horses comfort ill just have to put up with it. colors do look better but no matter how much insulation they will still be hotter than white.
MIfarmbabe
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-06-27 11:16 AM (#27201 - in reply to #27179)

Extreme Veteran

I think the one thing that helps to prevent those black streaks is having a metal lip, not sure what it is called, that goes around the top just below where the roof meets the white skin on the sides. So when it rains the water runs to the back of the trailer and falls to the ground. The streaks are coming from the aluminum roof. My previous trailer didn't have  this on it so I was always fighting with the streaks and it just looked bad. The trailer I have now has that "lip" and there are no black streaks and looks new.

Yes if you are going to get a black skinned trailer, an insulated one will help with the heat in the horse area.

xyzer
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2005-06-27 11:21 AM (#27202 - in reply to #27201)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by MIfarmbabe on 2005-06-27 9:16 AM

I think the one thing that helps to prevent those black streaks is having a metal lip, not sure what it is called, that goes around the top just below where the roof meets the white skin on the sides. So when it rains the water runs to the back of the trailer and falls to the ground. The streaks are coming from the aluminum roof. My previous trailer didn't have  this on it so I was always fighting with the streaks and it just looked bad. The trailer I have now has that "lip" and there are no black streaks and looks new.

Yes if you are going to get a black skinned trailer, an insulated one will help with the heat in the horse area.

Gutter..Drip rail....wish i had them!

ASJ
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2005-06-27 12:56 PM (#27218 - in reply to #27179)

Veteran

Hi, I am now on my second black skinned trailer. My first was 7' tall and had insulation on the wall but not the ceiling, I had the rear slide windows replaced with small drop windows for extra ventilation( which I have done with all my trailers) and the horses are just fine. My now second trailer is 7'6" tall with insulated walls and not ceilings. I ordered it with drops on the rear for ventilation and I LOVE IT..  It's hot in the south!!

There is extra care for a black trailer though, You cant use a brush to clean it. You will need a soft lofty mitt. A brush will scratch it! We also wax our trailer to keep it shiny. Be careful when waxing any colored skin, do not get wax on the mill finish parts of your trailer. The wax and its residue will pit be raw aluminum. Rinse immediately after waxing to get any dust  particles off the mill finish.

ASJ

Fergie
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2005-06-27 1:45 PM (#27223 - in reply to #27179)

New User

Hey guys--It does not matter if the trailer is black or white it is still going to get black streaks. The black streaks, tree sap, and everything else that sticks to them will make the black extremely dull. The black trailers look great when they are new and clean...however I think they are harder to keep up then keeping up with the black streaks on white. Black streaks are not a problem for me any more...I picked up a product at Camping World in Denton, TX called Streak Master. The service manager there told me that he had tried everything and Streak Master was the product to get. He was right...no more scrubbing for me. I think all the Camping Worlds carrying it. If not just search for Streak Master. Any why if the streaks are no problem, give your horse a break...

ASJ
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2005-06-27 2:21 PM (#27226 - in reply to #27179)

Veteran

If you have never owned a black trailer and used it, then you really don't know. But I guess everyone has to give an opinion whether they know or not. People  think that just because its black then it is automatically gonna be hot, This is not true. Make sure you are looking at a well made trailer and no matter what color you buy it will be OK for your horses. Go to the trailer lot and stand in the horse area of all colors and make your decision. If the DR is not insulated it will most likely be hotter. Insulation is the key. 

Also the Black gets streaks too. They show up as gray.. its the oxidizing of the raw aluminum top rails and rain running down the sides that cause most of the streaks. If you let the streaks stay on to long, then they are almost impossible to remove.

ASJ

huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-06-27 2:26 PM (#27227 - in reply to #27179)

Expert

You are from Houston, you should know better than to get a black trailer in Texas!
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-06-27 3:07 PM (#27234 - in reply to #27179)

Expert

now im not saying a black trailer will "cook" the horses. and hopefully the top will be white. but insulation also works both ways, horses exert some effort standing in the trailer which means heat. and not to mention my house is insulated far better than any trailer, have you ever turned off the ac while on vacation and come home? takes forever to get it cooled back down. the heat will get through the trailer, it may just take a little longer. as far as im concerned all trailers are hot. as usual on this forum....hairs are being split.
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-06-27 4:26 PM (#27239 - in reply to #27179)

Expert

I had a black 2 horse WW and if it was all closed up it was burning hot.  That's how I stored it because it would cook the bees that tried to nest in it.  When the plexi sliders, vents on the roof and feed doors were open and the rear door tops were removed it let in a breeze and was no hotter than standing under the trees.  Of course in S. Texas thats not saying much.
JustinM
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-06-27 4:56 PM (#27242 - in reply to #27179)

Veteran

Just one way to look at black trailers, if they werent hotter than white trailers then why arent many refrigerated trucking companies getting them? hmmmmmmm, makes me wonder why. i mean black trucks with white trailers looks good, but black trucks with black trailers sure would look great.

N2ridin
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-06-27 7:17 PM (#27250 - in reply to #27179)

Elite Veteran

I have a black skinned trailer and I love it!  Just got back from a Tennessee trail ride where the temperature was in the 90's all week.  My trailer stayed cool (guess that A/C in the LQ helps!)  I pulled 2 horses with a weeks load of stuff in the 1st stall on a 92 degree day and my horses seemed fine.  Not even sweaty.  Now I do use a soft auto brush to wash mine and I have not had any trouble with scratches.   I ALWAYS wash mine as soon as I get home.  All I know is . . . if you want a black trailer, get one.  They sure are pretty.  At least I can tell people "I'm the black trailer on the second row", I'm easy to find since all the other 498 trailers were white.

happy trails

Nancy

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World