'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
donating a weanling?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-06-30 7:03 AM
5 replies, 3666 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

gus4
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2005-06-26 10:05 PM (#27169)
Subject: donating a weanling?

I bought a 3 yr old mare through the sale ring in Sept. Unbeknownst to us (and supposedly the sellers)she was bred. She foaled in March and we have not been able to track down the stud. The foal is a filly who has a personality to die for - problem is that we had bred our Sonny Dee Bar/Mr. Baron Red mare to Northern Leaguer (we got a BEAUTIFUL filly!!) who foaled in March also. I do not have time to work with two babies much less two two-year olds when the time comes!! I am looking into donating the first filly to a university program. Does anyone know anything about this type thing? I want her to go to a good home, I am very concerned that her being a grade filly will get her bounced from sale ring to sale ring with horse traders. I am willing to keep her until she is two or find a good home for her - I have no money invested in her and want nothing for her in return to assure she goes somewhere nice. Any advice or suggestions please

Edited by gus4 2005-06-26 10:09 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-06-27 11:53 AM (#27205 - in reply to #27169)
Subject: RE: donating a weanling?

Expert

You could look into some of the horse rescues that do not give up ownership of the horse.  If the person that adopts her can't or doesn't want to keep her anymore the rescue finds her another home.  LSER in Tx is one of them.
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-06-27 2:34 PM (#27230 - in reply to #27169)

Expert

In my experience you should give her to a rescue.  Universities like registered mares for breeding programs and yours ain't.  Too bad about the filly being a mistake.  You may find another equine program that would take her in and I'd bet she'd be adopted out very fast!
gus4
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2005-06-27 10:18 PM (#27256 - in reply to #27230)

I have spent some time this afternoon looking around at rescues. They are so geared for abused and mistreated horses I would hate to take up a spot from a needy horse for this filly. She is truly such a sweetheart. at 3 months she already clips, has her feet worked with and loads in the trailer - I have been following Clinton Anderson's methods and have been so pleased with the results. I don't mind keeping her for a while, she is no problem I just know I can't keep her forever and am concerned that her being grade will make it difficult for her to get to a good home. I am in education and have the summers off (yeah right!) so i do have more time now than will this fall etc. I am going to contact a rescue about her availability and will ask them to let me know if they have anyone looking for a weanling or yearling to keep us in mind. Thank you for the rescue idea.
verushka
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2005-06-29 11:44 AM (#27363 - in reply to #27169)

Regular

There is nothing wrong with a grade horse. I horse with good manners is much more important. I'm sure you will find somebody that will love this horse. I already have three and another Grade Haflinger on the way. If I had room I take yours and have a fifth.
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-06-30 7:03 AM (#27396 - in reply to #27169)

Grade or registered, a good well-mannered horse is a good horse.  If you want, we will take her. 

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)