'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
1985 Featherlight????

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-06-26 8:58 PM
2 replies, 3112 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

budgoetz
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-06-26 2:19 PM (#27133)
Subject: 1985 Featherlight????

I want to buy a trailer, but of course my non-riding wife says I don't need one, I can always borrow one from a friend (to me, borrowing always leads to trouble!)

Ideally, I want a 3 horse slant load with a small dressing room that I can convert to LQ at some future time.  Of course I'm looking at $10 - $15K for one of these.

Meantime, I found a 2 horse straight load 85 featherlight gooseneck with DR, asking $6500, it's been for sale for over a month now so I bet the price is pretty flexable.  I could get by with a 2 horse a borrow a 3 if the need arose.

So, here are my concerns

1. it has mangers, I've read here that a lot of people don't like them.
  2. The floor has been replaced, is this a sign of deeper problems
  3. The steel frame that holds the gooseneck has some rust (doesn't look real bad) but I'm concerned about corrosion on the rivets that connect this frame to the rest of the trailer.
  4. The trailer is 20 years old.

Am I being overly critical or are these legitimate concerns.  Seems like a good price from what I compare to on the for sale ads here.

Any comments appreciated.

Bud

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-06-26 5:43 PM (#27150 - in reply to #27133)
Subject: RE: 1985 Featherlight????

Expert

Most 2 horse straight loads have mangers and a new floor on a 20 year old trailer is probally a good thing.  Pull up the mats and slide underneath to look at the steel supports and make sure they are sound.  I don't know about rivits holding the frame to the rest of the trailer.  On my trailer it is welded everywhere except for the fiberglass on the roof.
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-06-26 8:58 PM (#27168 - in reply to #27133)
Subject: RE: 1985 Featherlight????

Expert

what terri said.....and get someone who knows (a trusted shop or mechanic) to look at the gn/rivets, wouldnt want it to come loose. as for the 20 years old, it takes a lot of looking to find all the problems or potential problems.

just my opinion, considering you could have a brand new model, though not a featherlite, for a few grand more ......i belive id pass.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)