'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Propane Heat vs. AC with Heat Pump in LQ?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-06-24 8:30 AM
8 replies, 5002 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

rollingrfarm
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2005-06-23 12:52 PM (#26972)
Subject: Propane Heat vs. AC with Heat Pump in LQ?

Regular

Hello:

I won't be using the LQ of the trailer when the weather is below freezing very much if at all.  One dealer suggested rather than propane heat which they said was overkill in an 8foot LQ, that I add a heat pump to my 13,500 AC. Has anyone used a heat pump and does it keep the place warm in 40-50 degree temps?

I had origanlly wanted propane heat so I didn't have to run the generator all night but the dealer said that the propane heater still needed electricity to run and woundn't go all night without the generator.

Can anyone clarify this and give me their thoughts and experiences.

Thanks, in advance for all your help.

Karen

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
xyzer
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2005-06-23 1:18 PM (#26974 - in reply to #26972)
Subject: RE: Propane Heat vs. AC with Heat Pump in LQ?

Extreme Veteran

The propane will take lots less elecrical energy to run for heat! An extra battery will run it through the night easy. Then charge the batteries during the day with the generator. I think when the outside gets below 45-50 deg. the heat pump becomes an electric heater. It has heater coils that take over. Not as efficiant but it should still keep things warm. Ask the dealer about that. I can't sleep with a generator running!

hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-06-23 3:21 PM (#26979 - in reply to #26972)

Expert

Originally written by rollingrfarm on 2005-06-23 1:52 AM

One dealer suggested rather than propane heat which they said was overkill in an 8foot LQ, that I add a heat pump to my 13,500 AC.

I've a question here.. Add a heat pump?  or do you mean a heat strip??  If you already have an A/C unit, they mean add a heat strip ... small money compared to a propane furnace.

If  they really mean a heat pump.  A unit that runs the refrigerant one way for cooling and reverse for heating.  I'd like the heat pump.  Don't know about relative cost between the two options, but having the weight of one heat pump unit vs two units is attractive.

rollingrfarm
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2005-06-23 3:52 PM (#26983 - in reply to #26972)

Regular

No, this isn't the virtually useless heat strip, they said its a "Heat Pump".I wonder if it can run on battery or I guess it would have to be on the generator.My reason for liking propane heat is so I don't have to listen to a generator all night long.  But if the strip is efficient it may be better.  They want $200 for the strip and $450 for propane furnace.

KR  

barry
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-06-23 3:59 PM (#26984 - in reply to #26972)

Veteran

Have you check out the ventless propane wall heaters at Home Depot/Lowes? I have one in my house in the $100 range for a room that doesn't heat well. Don't require a fan for small areas, etc. Some warn not to put in a bedroom but that would be your call. Mine came with an low oxygen sensor that shuts off the flame in the 02 level drops. Just another possibility.
FTguy
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2005-06-23 7:08 PM (#26993 - in reply to #26972)

I don't know why I have heard so many people say the heat strip is useless. I have one in my trailer. It is a 4ft short wall with insulation on the cieling and the walls. I have camped several nights where the temp got into the mid 30's. It got so hot in there, I had to get up and turn it down. The only annoying part is that the fan runs constantly (like the airconditioner).

FTguy
hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-06-23 7:27 PM (#26995 - in reply to #26983)

Expert

I hae a heat strip and propane furnace in my 12' LQ.  The heat strip does fine down to about 45 -50 degrees, so they aren't worthless.  I am not familiar with heat pumps in trailers but you could probably do that and get a little ceramic heater with a thermostat.  A friend uses one to heat her 13' LQ and it does a nice job.
martyg
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-06-23 10:54 PM (#27013 - in reply to #26972)

Veteran

I would suggest a olympian catalytic propane heater. They will heat your lq and use no electricity, so I wont be listening to your generator all night. :) Check out phrannie.org for some pratical info on these. They are available online. If you do some searches online of people who spend a lot of time "boondocking" in rvs, you will find this is a very popular lp heater. Its very safe, very low odor (none) and lower temps than a open flame wall heater and no blower. My unit is only 12x12x3 inches and is mounted on a low wall in my bath. It heats my 8'lq on low in all but the coldest temps. Of course, with any heater that burns fuel, you must crack a window. I crack the door window about 1/2" and the vent above my shower about 1/2 inch. This heater will probably heat your lq for months of occasional use without emptying a 20lb propane tank. Thats my 2 cents worth.
dman
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2005-06-24 8:30 AM (#27026 - in reply to #26972)

The Heat pump will only be effective above 40 degrees per the literature that comes with the unit. I believe it would require replacing your AC unit with one that the heat pump is already installed in. the heat strip can be added to most any unit, I paid $60.00 at Bills RV in Elkhart Indiana and took about 15 min to install. The Penquin AC/heat pump also requires an electronic wall thermostat to operate which could mean tearing walls apart to route wires. I just went through this same scenerio with my trailer and felt it not worth the effort.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)