'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
floor paint / sealing

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-06-22 11:28 AM
2 replies, 4251 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

NoSpam
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-06-22 9:39 AM (#26921)
Subject: floor paint / sealing

Veteran

Hi, I'd like to re-seal my Trailswest floor in the horse compartment and am not sure how to proceed.  It has a coat of gray paint or primer on it, apparently from the factory (albeit 10 years old).  The boards look very good.  So should I repaint it (and with what?) or can I topcoat it with Thompsons and redo the Thompsons annually?  For prep, will I need to sand it lightly to rough it up, or can I just pressure-wash?

Today I am painting the newly fabbed wall between the horse and shower compartment, so I have paint on the brain.  Yesterday I got that wall prepped and one coat of red oxide on one side of it...  Hope to finish that project today.

Thanks!

Michelle

Edited by NoSpam 2005-06-22 9:41 AM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
santelikk
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-06-22 11:15 AM (#26926 - in reply to #26921)
Subject: RE: floor paint / sealing

Regular

I have had bad experience with painting boards especailly when exposed to moisture.  What happens is moisture will get under the paint and rot the wood, not good for a trailer floor.  I have used tomphsons and reapplied every year and it looks good so far. JMO

luluwhit
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2005-06-22 11:28 AM (#26929 - in reply to #26921)
Subject: RE: floor paint / sealing

MICHELLE

I HAVE BEEN WATCHING YOUR POST AND AM IMPRESSED THAT YOU TOOK ON SUCH A PROJECT.  YOU GO GIRL!  THE BOARDS IN THE HORSE COMPARTMENT I WOULD SUGGEST TO LEAVE ALONE.  SEALING THEM WITH PAINT OR THOMPSONS THEY CAN GET SLICK WITH NOTHING ON TOP OF THEM IF THEY GET WET(URINE OR RAIN).  IF YOU INTEND ON PUTTING MATS OVER THE BOARDS THEN NEXT TIME YOU CHANGE THE OIL IN YOUR TRUCK USE THE USED MOTOR OIL.  PUT IT ON THICK AND LET SOAK.  IT WILL REPEL ANY MOISTURE AND PRESERVE THE BOARDS AND WILL NOT NEED TO BE REAPPLIED FOR YEARS.  SOUNDS KINDA CRAZY BUT I HAVE DONE IT TO 3 TRAILERS.  WE ALSO USE IT ON OUR PADDOCK BOARD FENCES AT THE FARM.  WE USE RUFF CUT LUMBER FROM THE SAWMILL TO BUILD THE FENCES AND THEY LAST FOREVER.  GOOD LUCK AND I WILL BE WATCHING FOR MORE UPDATES.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)