'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Hauling Question

Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-07-06 10:26 AM
77 replies, 14104 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Erin_CBT
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2005-06-29 12:24 PM (#27369 - in reply to #26902)
Subject: RE: Hauling Question

Gabz-

I agree that compromise is important, and that's why i said that for those of you that DON'T need a bigger truck, great. I understand what you are saying and i agree, i just think that you misunderstood what i meant.

for someone like you that pulls 10 - 15 times a year, what you have is fine. But for someone like me that shows 40 out of 52 weekends a year, most of the time traveling by interstate, a bigger truck that can safely pull AND STOP my rig is a must. happy trails to you and your horse.

Edited by Erin_CBT 2005-06-29 12:31 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
RichB
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-07-01 11:52 AM (#27484 - in reply to #27011)

Extreme Veteran

Accidents or a series of mistakes or whatever you want to call it,  will happen.  Humans make mistakes.  A bigger truck can give you a safety margin to recover, if stuff happens. If the driver of the explorer was in a bigger tow vehicle, like a dually, that trailer wouldn't have had the deadly effect it did on a small, lighter vehicle.  I towed a car trailer that empty, started swaying over 55mph.  In my dually, it's irratating.  Behind my 1500 Suburban, it could be deadly.   So, IMO, buying a vehicle that allows you a greater safety margin is never a bad idea.
hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-07-01 12:10 PM (#27485 - in reply to #27484)

Expert

"So, IMO, buying a vehicle that allows you a greater safety margin is never a bad idea." 

Exactly!  I just can't understand how there is any argument over this! 

chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-07-01 12:33 PM (#27486 - in reply to #27484)

Expert

Originally written by RichB on 2005-07-01 12:52 PM

Accidents or a series of mistakes or whatever you want to call it,  will happen.  Humans make mistakes.  A bigger truck can give you a safety margin to recover, if stuff happens. If the driver of the explorer was in a bigger tow vehicle, like a dually, that trailer wouldn't have had the deadly effect it did on a small, lighter vehicle.  I towed a car trailer that empty, started swaying over 55mph.  In my dually, it's irratating.  Behind my 1500 Suburban, it could be deadly.   So, IMO, buying a vehicle that allows you a greater safety margin is never a bad idea.
um ok, no one is disputing that its a bad idea, just is it any safer? and im not sure using a malfuctioning trailer is a good example. if it sways over 55 then get it fixed, or dont go over 55. of course if you think running substandard equiment is acceptable then by all means, do what you feel necsessary. btw that is an impressive horse in your photo.

Edited by chadsalt 2005-07-01 12:45 PM
hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-07-01 12:50 PM (#27487 - in reply to #27486)

Expert

"and im not sure using a malfuctioning trailer is a good example." 

Where in Rich's post does it state that the trailer was malfunctioning?  A trailer can be in perfect shape and still sway if the conditions are right for it.  A driver can't control wind shear, pot holes,  tractor trailer drag, etc.  Antisway bars help but are no guarantee.  As for only driving 55mph, do that in a 65 - 70mph area and you'll be pushed off the road or even ticketed for not going near the speed limit.  A larger tow vehicle does make a difference.  But you'll find that out when you get your 1 T.

chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-07-01 1:01 PM (#27489 - in reply to #27487)

Expert

Originally written by hav2ride on 2005-07-01 1:50 PM

"and im not sure using a malfuctioning trailer is a good example." 

Where in Rich's post does it state that the trailer was malfunctioning?  A trailer can be in perfect shape and still sway if the conditions are right for it.  A driver can't control wind shear, pot holes,  tractor trailer drag, etc.  Antisway bars help but are no guarantee.  As for only driving 55mph, do that in a 65 - 70mph area and you'll be pushed off the road or even ticketed for not going near the speed limit.  A larger tow vehicle does make a difference.  But you'll find that out when you get your 1 T.

as i understood(which could be wrong) he said it swayed over 55mph. i took that as all the time, like i said maybe i misunderstood. "As for only driving 55mph, do that in a 65 - 70mph area and you'll be pushed off the road or even ticketed for not going near the speed limit." i do this everyday at work in a tractor tailer. never been ticketed. also do so in my baby horse rig, again, never been pushed off the road or ticketed. as a matter of fact i may video tape my next trip and as im running 55mph straight down the interstate with no hands on the steering wheel as a tractor tailer passes me at 70mph maybe you might see something of interest. maybe im just to small to get caught in the turbulence.........right. and are the newer 1 tons different than the ones from years ago? didnt think so.....guess theres nothing for me to find out then. im actually expecting a little more sway possability with the 1 ton as i likely wont mess with the equal-i-zer hitch im using now.

Edited by chadsalt 2005-07-01 1:36 PM
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-07-01 2:33 PM (#27498 - in reply to #27484)

Expert

I towed a car trailer that empty, started swaying over 55mph. 

Most car trailers manuels tell you not to go over 50mph.  Some even have a sticker on the fender that you can read in your rear view mirror. 

RichB
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-07-01 2:35 PM (#27499 - in reply to #27489)

Extreme Veteran

The trailer was rented from United Rentals, a national equipment rental yard.  Perfectly working bumper pull trailers sometimes sway, for various reasons, it could be speed, the road, highway traffic, wind, load, etc.  This trailer would sway over 55 mph, like at 56 mph.  The point is, we don't live in a perfect world where everything works perfectly and we operate it perfectly.  So allow yourself some wiggle room when you choose a rig for your trailer. Better to have excess capacity than be at or over your limit everytime.   That's an ideal.  Course we have to do the best we can with what we have.   

Edited by RichB 2005-07-01 2:48 PM
hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-07-02 8:48 AM (#27515 - in reply to #27499)

Expert

"We are truck shopping and the first thing every GOOD dealer we have gone to asks is what will you be pulling? A 3 horse aluminum with one horse. ALL have said definitely not to the half ton. They all say the same thing, you can do it and dealers will tell you it's O.K. but it really isn't. I like those dealers and don't trust the ones who just worry about the sale. Normal driving, stopping O.K. but what about the unexpected!!!! Be safe and don't undertruck. While we were at one dealer an SUV went by pulling a trailer with a horse in it and when the light changed unexpectedly he really took time to get it stopped. He is probably so used to it he doesn't know the difference so he would say it hauls just fine. We all know people who do it and get by but the question is do we want to do it if we can get along with it or do we want to be as safe as we can be in case something does happen."

This was posted on the Pleasure Horse message board.  Thought it was timely.

Here's another from the same thread.

42014.32 in reply to 42014.1 
"This is to all, really.... My DH is a firefighter and he comes comes home with stories of wrecks that he has gone to and had to "clean-up" the messes of those who insist on using under rated trucks to tow with and just not horse trailers either...travel trailers, boats, utililty trailers etc.... just seeing the pictures that he has to take for reports and having to listen to him talk about having to cut people out of their trucks (or worse the innocent people that up getting caught up in the accident) or picking up body parts (and I am not talking about truck and car body parts either.... You would change your mind on using 1/2 tons to pull even 2 horse trailers with... *You* might think that you have enough stopping power....Just see what happens when someone cuts in front of you and the roads are wet and slick and you are coming down a hill......"

Edited by hav2ride 2005-07-02 8:50 AM
hconley
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-07-02 9:38 AM (#27520 - in reply to #26902)

Extreme Veteran

I've come across alot of wrecks over the years and most are caused by one or a combination of the following:

7  Driver inexperience - Countless times I have seen a wheel drop off the side of the pavement and the first thing they do is stand on the brakes. 

7Poor maintenance of equipment - either/both the tow or the pulling vehicle 

7Improper loading - an imbalanced load and we'll see you in the ditch

know your limitations, have a safe trip

Edited by hconley 2005-07-02 10:00 AM
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-07-02 10:18 AM (#27521 - in reply to #27515)

Expert

Originally written by hav2ride on 2005-07-02 9:48 AM

"We are truck shopping and the first thing every GOOD dealer we have gone to asks is what will you be pulling? A 3 horse aluminum with one horse. ALL have said definitely not to the half ton. They all say the same thing, you can do it and dealers will tell you it's O.K. but it really isn't. I like those dealers and don't trust the ones who just worry about the sale. Normal driving, stopping O.K. but what about the unexpected!!!! Be safe and don't undertruck. While we were at one dealer an SUV went by pulling a trailer with a horse in it and when the light changed unexpectedly he really took time to get it stopped. He is probably so used to it he doesn't know the difference so he would say it hauls just fine. We all know people who do it and get by but the question is do we want to do it if we can get along with it or do we want to be as safe as we can be in case something does happen."

"This is to all, really.... My DH is a firefighter and he comes comes home with stories of wrecks that he has gone to and had to "clean-up" the messes of those who insist on using under rated trucks to tow with and just not horse trailers either...travel trailers, boats, utililty trailers etc.... just seeing the pictures that he has to take for reports and having to listen to him talk about having to cut people out of their trucks (or worse the innocent people that up getting caught up in the accident) or picking up body parts (and I am not talking about truck and car body parts either.... You would change your mind on using 1/2 tons to pull even 2 horse trailers with... *You* might think that you have enough stopping power....Just see what happens when someone cuts in front of you and the roads are wet and slick and you are coming down a hill......"

ah yes, ive been waiting for the "red asphalt" approach.

hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-07-02 12:56 PM (#27523 - in reply to #27521)

Expert

So you think it's all a lie??
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-07-02 1:58 PM (#27524 - in reply to #27521)

Expert

Originally written by chadsalt on 2005-07-02 11:18 AM

Originally written by hav2ride on 2005-07-02 9:48 AM

ah yes, ive been waiting for the "red asphalt" approach.

i think its just more opinons. i was only commenting on how the talk had turned "bloody".

what kind of suv? how long is long? is this person qualified to judge a long stopping distance from the side of the road....i doubt anyone is. may have taken longer/gone a little far into intersection for the horses benifit.

as for the wet road on a hill....ill leave the physics out this time and just say, i guess ive got in made in my tractor trailer at work then.  got all those big wheels and brakes, must be like dropping an anchor when i stop. (sarcasm intended)

unlike that person(and some others) i know what happens when i stop in the rain, the truck stops. this is accomplished with adjusted speed for conditions, and has nothing to do with any vehicles capabilitys. and i mean for crying out loud....a wet road!! just about any piece of crap truck/trailer will lock the wheels in the rain, at that point you have little or no slowing of the rig being acomplished.

most of these examples only display the level of skill/understanding of the indiviual doing the talking.

JMO

hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-07-02 2:31 PM (#27525 - in reply to #27524)

Expert

I understood the "red Asphalt" comment.  But you disregarded the point about the wet roads.  The OP commented that she would rather have more than minimal stopping power, which is provided by having a larger truck, when something cuts in front of you on a wet road.  Of course you should drive for conditions but unexpected things happen which can cause an accident if not properly equipped.  I know my 450 stops my trailer much better than my 350 did but I still drive defensively.  You'll see a huge difference when you tow your 2H with the 1T.  But I doubt that you'll ever admit it.

chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-07-02 3:16 PM (#27526 - in reply to #27525)

Expert

Originally written by hav2ride on 2005-07-02 3:31 PM

I understood the "red Asphalt" comment.  But you disregarded the point about the wet roads.  The OP commented that she would rather have more than minimal stopping power, which is provided by having a larger truck, when something cuts in front of you on a wet road.  Of course you should drive for conditions but unexpected things happen which can cause an accident if not properly equipped.  I know my 450 stops my trailer much better than my 350 did but I still drive defensively.  You'll see a huge difference when you tow your 2H with the 1T.  But I doubt that you'll ever admit it.

i still think youre unclear as to my experiance, you seem to be under the impression ive never hauled with anything other than what i have now.....anyhow i dont doubt it will tow "better(definitions will vary)", it will likely be only half the 1 ton capacity.  what happens when i load the 1 ton up with a big GN? ill be right back where i am now. sure id be "safer" with a lawnmower behind me, and id be "safer" yet with no trailer at all, so would your f450.  "saftey", at the level youre trying to discuss it at, is a moot point. 

heres an example, i ride sportbikes, have done so for years. i follow the trends, specs, races etc.  now i frequently engage in discussions with people about which bike in the open class is best.  all these bikes track times are often seperated by less than tenths of a second. does this matter in the real world? absolutly not. is one better than the other? only in the eye of the beholder.

this is the same discussion we keep having, but like i said i dont have anything better to do. its too hot for me to ride.

Edited by chadsalt 2005-07-02 3:17 PM
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-07-02 3:55 PM (#27527 - in reply to #27521)

Expert

"The Red asphalt approach"

Chadsalt: either you seem to miss the point or you're inured to highway accidents. 

It's not for the low fuel mileage a larger truck is used to tow with.  Nor is the higher cost of the heavy truck used to impress the neighbors.  Or the hike from the far corners of the parking lot needed for one's health & fitness because the dually doesn't fit the drive through.  The whole point of under using the truck's tow capacity is avoiding the "red asphalt"

I would expect your attitude toward other drivers on your job and hauling your horses as "Me first, the devil take the rest of ..."

To the lurkers and newbies looking for guidance:

Avoiding "red asphalt" is really what we're talking about.  The other drivers on the road don't care that you're hauling 10,000 pounds of horses and trailer behind you.  I've seen many driver's dive into a space in front of OTR semi's just to cut into a line for the exit.  They are oblivious to the semi's 80,000 pounds mere feet away from crushing their car.  

They won't think about you either, maybe less since you're only a little suv.  The horse trailer is not even in their mind.

They WILL pull out in front of you when you least expect it.  You make your choice here and now.  It'll be too late to change when it happens.  And it will.

chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-07-02 4:32 PM (#27528 - in reply to #26902)

Expert

well now, if i could be offended, that may have done it. my attitude while driving at work is purely professional.....no middle fingers, no air horn blowing, courteous to the fact the 4 wheeler blocking my wide right turn has no idea theyre doing so. i generlly drive well under the speed limit, legally you can not run the speed limit while pulling a trailer(this is a whole other can of worms.)  and i drive the same way no matter what car, truck, etc i happen to be driving.

when i hear someone talking about how they were "pushed" though an intersection, or almost ran into the back of someone, or i just couldnt get stopped, i can all but guarantee that their experiance is lacking. barring equipment failure, they were simply traveling too fast, their attention wandered, or are not used to compenstating for a trailer behind them.

so until someone sets up a scientific test with cones and mesurements, several size test vehicles loaded to their respective GCWR with horse simulators, etc. and puts an end to this speculation and opinon......... ill just have to say, everyone be carefull. and to the guy who just cut me off,  i knew you were going to do that.

Edited by chadsalt 2005-07-02 4:45 PM
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-07-02 4:46 PM (#27529 - in reply to #27526)

Expert

I have things I'd rather do... But I believe guidance to newbie’s important enough to sit here and type.  My wife is patiently waiting while I finish this, for us to go to a dinner party.

I'm a sum of my towing experiences like everybody else.  When I first started towing, I didn't know there was a difference in 1/2, 3/4 1 ton pick-ups.  I bought a 3/4 ton pick-up by the grace of God.  The axle ratio was terrible for fuel mileage but right for towing.  I didn't know one could get other axle ratios.  I didn't know the difference between 1/2 & 3/4 ton trucks.

I have since learned, and not been ashamed to learn further.

As for that tenth of second mentioned earlier.

It made a tremendous difference in several lives about seven years ago.  We were driving home from Mose's Cone Park in North Carolina.  The road back was a two lane road.  Out of the mountains, the road is downhill, (Duh!)  On Sunday, the tourist traffic was pretty heavy.  The truck was a C20 (3/4 ton) pulling a 2 horse steel GN straight load trailer with 2 horses.

The opposite lane was full of vehicles bumper to bumper going to the tourist area.  As we came up to the entrance to the Blue Ridge Parkway (on our right) the traffic was stopped waiting to turn left.  I had as usual, left extra distance between us and the car in front.  Safe and defensive driving you know... I had lots of distance if the traffic suddenly stopped. 

The waiting cars decided my stopping zone was the perfect spot to make their turn.  Two cars made it through; the third car tried, but didn't anticipate the line of cars would stop, putting him stuck in my path.  I can still vividly remember the details. A white Honda Accord, The traffic on the left had started to move, closing off my escape to the left and his reverse escape.  The right was blocked by the cars in the entrance.  There was nothing to do but lay on the horn and stand on the brakes.  I can still see the wide eyes of the passenger in the right rear seat of the Honda.  His eyes and mine were locked together as the Parkway entrance cleared and the Honda moved out of our path.  Several lives and our horses were separated from harm by a tenth of a second and three feet.

I use a dually rated for 22,000 pounds GCVWR to pull a 3 horse gn trailer rated at 9950 pounds.  I am over trucked.  

You make your choices to live with.

Edited by hosspuller 2005-07-02 4:51 PM
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-07-02 5:01 PM (#27531 - in reply to #26902)

Expert

im a little unclear as to how being overtrucked had a bearing in that situation.  doesnt sound like you were driving that fast, so it cant be the "little trucks wont stop" theory.  doest look like you performed any death defying slalom manuvers.  please clarify, to me(and it is likely my fault) the moral of the story.

and enjoy your dinner party.

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-07-02 7:30 PM (#27533 - in reply to #26902)

Expert

O-MI-GOSH !
Firefighters cut people out of wrecks ?
I had no idea.
All this time I had assumed they cut the wreck from around the people.

This just after supper, 'scuse me I need to go to the ba......

That was BAD !
Hey Chadsalt, maybe time to just give it up, eh ?

red ashphalt,
red cutting tools,
red sails in the sunset,
red suspenders on firefighters waders,

redi ?
Yeah, I'm outta here.
hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-07-03 1:21 PM (#27546 - in reply to #27526)

Expert

So, Chadsalt, what IS the extent of your horse hauling experiences, i.e. truck/trailer combos and # of years? 

"tow "better(definitions will vary)","

Here's my definition of towing better. With the 1T, which is total overkill with a 2H because even a 3/4T could do the job very nicely, you will have more hauling power, more stability, and more braking power than with your Trailer Blazer.  Your engine and trans will not work nearly as hard, therefore lessening your chance of breakdowns.  Of course, you already know all of this but since you seemed a bit confused... 

HaulinHorses
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2005-07-03 2:53 PM (#27555 - in reply to #27527)

Regular

Originally written by hosspuller on 2005-07-02 3:55 PM

To the lurkers and newbies looking for guidance:

Avoiding "red asphalt" is really what we're talking about.  The other drivers on the road don't care that you're hauling 10,000 pounds of horses and trailer behind you.  I've seen many driver's dive into a space in front of OTR semi's just to cut into a line for the exit.  They are oblivious to the semi's 80,000 pounds mere feet away from crushing their car.  

They won't think about you either, maybe less since you're only a little suv.  The horse trailer is not even in their mind.

They WILL pull out in front of you when you least expect it.  You make your choice here and now.  It'll be too late to change when it happens.  And it will.

I hope the lurkers and newbies pay close attention to what you are saying!  These are my sentiments exactly.  There should be no argument "against" having too much truck.   I'll get blasted for this, but REAL men don't eat quiche, and REAL horse people don't pull trailers with SUV's...no matter what they saw in the movie "The Horse Whisperer". 

chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-07-03 3:37 PM (#27557 - in reply to #27555)

Expert

ok youre right, im only 12 years old and ive never ever ridden a horse.

im going to take your advice reg, im out too. of course ill be there when the next guy asks if he can pull...........

Edited by chadsalt 2005-07-03 3:43 PM
Summit1
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-07-04 2:02 PM (#27574 - in reply to #26902)

Just got back from a four day trip to the interior of BC, haven't read all of these posts but this has only been our second trip with our trailer, 4 horse gooseneck with full living quarters and mid tack.  We have a one ton Duramax dually.  My husband is thrilled with it, we had a full load (4 horses, one being a very large Percheron, full load of hay on the hay rack, 80 gallons water plus all the associated tack and kids stuff!!!), this truck pulled like a dream through the mountainous hills, up to 7% grade.  I wouldn't want to have any doubts when hauling as to whether or not the truck can pull satisfactorily or not. You know how you pat your horse and say good girl, good boy, well my husband was patting his truck saying "good boy".  Just my 2 cents worth!
Flooper
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2005-07-05 8:24 AM (#27593 - in reply to #27555)

Veteran

Originally written by HaulinHorses on 2005-07-03 2:53 PM

REAL men don't eat quiche, and REAL horse people don't pull trailers with SUV's

Oh puhleeeeezzzz!!! Can't we have an informed, adult discussion without stupid, arrogant and uninformed statements like this. It all comes down to weight, trailer condition, vehicle configuration and driver experience...I'd rather be sharing the road with a safe, well-maintained, within-its-weights SUV pulling a trailer it can handle than with a 1-ton pickup that's pushing it's limits, with underinflated tires, a 4H gooseneck that's dang near pointing to the sky riding mostly on its far back axle, and an idiot behind the wheel...and I've definitely seen both. An SUV that's properly matched to the trailer it's pulling is as safe as any other vehicle.

I guess I'm gonna have to tell my neighbor up the road who is a state champ can chaser and trailers her horse 40 out of 52 weeks a year to events with her Yukon that she's not a "real horse person."

Edited by Flooper 2005-07-05 8:31 AM
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)