'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Interior damage to the trailer from horses, (particularly kickers)

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-06-22 3:19 PM
6 replies, 4697 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-06-21 11:57 AM (#26864)
Subject: Interior damage to the trailer from horses, (particularly kickers)

Expert

I'd like to solicit experiences and opinions about trialer damage done by horses.
In particular from kicking, e.g. against a side wall or wheel well (slant) or rear door (straight load), or ramp (if it isn't a step up).

How bad ?
Was it covered under warranty ? (as being too weak for the intended purpose)
How simple were repairs, i.e. was the trailer built to be easily repairable for such damage ?
How expensive were the repairs ? (if you had to pay for it)

What have you done to avoid recurrence ? (added a sheet of ply wood, shot the horse, etc.)
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-06-21 1:03 PM (#26871 - in reply to #26864)
Subject: RE: Interior damage to the trailer from horses, (particularly kickers)

Expert

The most damage I have had from a horse was a blind mare I had didn't travel well and would chew on the divider.  She would scrape all the paint off and it would rust. 

I had a friend who had a 2 horse BP and her gelding kicked the sheet metal off the door.  While she was doing 60.  She had the sheet metal replaced and 1x6's (or 2x6's don't remember which), installed into the channel that was already there.  The door had the channel for the wood, but it was missing.   She bought it used so there was no warantee.  Insurance covered the sheet metal and paint, she paid for the wood.

huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-06-21 6:06 PM (#26892 - in reply to #26864)

Expert

What a can o' worms!

Problem:  (Divider)I've had horses get into it while in transit and move a divider out of it's pins front, rear and sometimes both...approx three times.  (long learning curve on my part)

Fix:  I've drilled through the end of the pins and placed cotter pins through the holes so the divider cannot be pulled and knocked out of place unless the cotter pin is pulled first.

Problem:  (Door restraints)I've had the tail curtains over the top of my ramp rip free of their restraints and bend the doors.  (windy)

Fix:  Thank GOD I have a steel trailer and a great welder, $25 better than new.

Problem:  (Kicking at side walls)I've had horses peel my rubber mats from the side walls(straight load)during transit over time with their back feet.  I find this more of a problem with really tall horses 16.1+ and rear shod.

Fix:  Clean the walls and back side of the mats and apply adheisive per instructions and stick the mats back on the walls.  It's never like new but then once a trailer is used it's not new.

Problem:  (Bent ramp)I've had horses get into it and bend my ramp.  Standing at the end of the trailer looking across the width of the trailer you could stick your hand inside the bow.  The ramp still worked and work was put off, damage was only cosmetic.

Fix  Ramp was fixed at the factory because the trailer was given a birthday present after all the work mentioned above it deserved it!  (The trailer was roughly 15 years old by this point, maker couldn't believe it's near perfect condition.  Pictures of the trailer were taken by the maker, maybe they are on the walls of the office?)

I will say that I've easily put 100's of thousands of miles hauling during my experiences and I have hauled many first timers and crazy half-cocked hunters so to say that this is all that has happened is really an honor.  I love big horses and when big horses have a problem they can cause big damages.  Big babies are even worse!  I still use and love this trailer and never plan on selling it, I'll keep it as my run around trailer.  It is by far the finest steel trailer I have ever seen, even to this day.

Edited by huntseat 2005-06-21 6:08 PM
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-06-21 6:23 PM (#26895 - in reply to #26892)

Expert

Thanks Huntseat.
I've had the pins pulled out problem, but I chose a different fix.
This may not work on all trailers, but on both my 4-Star and Jamco trailers they're essentially J-Bolts used in foundation work. I just bought longer ones with threads on them for about 84c at Home Despot (-:
I didn't bother putting nuts on them, the extra length and threads just make it too much more difficult for them to pull out.

Yes, over time and mileage everything wears, gets eaten, kicked to heck, etc. )-:
I was just wondering about others' experiences (and warranty claims).
gemm
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-06-22 1:11 AM (#26910 - in reply to #26864)

Extreme Veteran

I never had a problem with trailer structure until I bought that little tiny Arab mare. Man oh man, does she kick! I posted about her a while back...still haven't tried the hobbles. What she eventually managed to do to my trailer was break several of the welds that hold the uprights that the slam latch attaches to. They're at the horse's butt side. The mare also nearly broke her leg in doing this damage! The hubby kept saying he'd fix it, since he can weld aluminum.....several (3) years pass, still no fix! I finally went out and got it done elsewhere (hubby unimpressed!). It was really expensive, something like $85/hr + materials. They spent 16 hrs...you can imagine my surprise when I heard the "grand"  total. Never even dreamed of trying to get the work done on warranty....Have dreamed of shooting the horse though.
NoSpam
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-06-22 9:10 AM (#26919 - in reply to #26864)

Veteran

My worst trailer damage is from a rescue that tried to jump out of the drop down window.  The aluminum frame around the window got mangled and needed hammered back into shape to get the window closed.  I never thought about turning it in on warranty work, as it was a freak accident.  The lady we got the rescue from was holding the filly in the trailer while we loaded the 2nd rescue colt, she let the rope get too long and the filly tried to escape through the nearest "exit". :-(

My 1300# mustang paws the trailer, but the aluminum Featherlite is taking it well...  Other than some mini-scrapes on the rubber wall panel, there's no damage.  He whacks it hard enough to rock the trailer while I'm driving, I'm glad/suprised the damage isn't worse.

Happy Trails,

Michelle

RichB
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-06-22 3:19 PM (#26939 - in reply to #26864)

Extreme Veteran

When I picked up a big filly, her first trailer ride, she kicked the #$#% out of my brand new trailer.  Only slightly dented a divider.  Because the horse area is triple walled with steel sheets, no damage.

My stallion paws, but does no damage to the rubber floor mats. 

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)