'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Slant load -vs- revers slant??

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-06-21 11:20 PM
8 replies, 4654 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

barrelracer4sure
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-06-17 9:34 AM (#26729)
Subject: Slant load -vs- revers slant??

What are the $$$ differences? Does it cost more to get a reverse slant? Are they really that much better for the horse?

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-06-17 7:51 PM (#26755 - in reply to #26729)
Subject: RE: Slant load -vs- revers slant??

Expert

I'd GUESS it would cost more, if for no other reason the fact that it isn't regular production.

I'd WAGER that it would cost you more when you try to SELL it, due to lower demand, lack of "appreciation" in the used trailer buying public, etc.

I've no idea if it is in any way "better" for the horses. The only article I remember reading was that horses travel with a lower heart rate when facing backwards in a head to head trailer - my guess is that they have a better (smoother) ride there because it is more nearly halfway between the gooseneck coupler and the trailer's axles. Just my guess.
HaulinHorses
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2005-06-20 12:06 AM (#26784 - in reply to #26729)

Regular

A reverse slant Platinum will cost around $2800 more than a regular slant because you need a side ramp, removeable center post, extra butt bars, extra reinforcing for the bigger door, and full partition for a full across rear tack, instead of the normal 1/2 wall. 

My demo this year is not a reverse slant, but I wish it was...it will be next year.  If you are a barrel racer, you will have NO problem reselling a reverse slant load.  Charmayne James and Janet Stover both pull one, among many others.  They are in high demand among rodeo people.  Make sure it's 8' wide and has an escape door at the rear horse's head, and it's also nice to add an extra foot to the length for the bigger all the way across rear tack.  Make sure it's a 4 horse - most buyers want mangers, and 3 mangers would help the resale value, unless you are like me and don't want them.  The reverse slant we had in stock sold instantly!

When horses ride backwards, the weight distribution shifts from the front legs to the rear end.  When you step on the brakes, the huge rump muscles take the weight and the horse stays better balanced.  When they ride facing forward and you brake, the front legs absorb the shock, and the head bobbles.  They are less fatigued when you get to your destination, and in the long run, will probably stay sounder, longer because hauling is as hard on a horse as the runs are.

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-06-20 11:59 AM (#26798 - in reply to #26784)

Expert

A reverse slant Platinum will cost around $2800 more than a regular slant because you need a side ramp, removeable center post, extra butt bars, extra reinforcing for the bigger door, and full partition for a full across rear tack, instead of the normal 1/2 wall. 

Why do you need a removable center post, extra butt bars, a bigger door, and full partition for a full across rear tack?  I had a friend who changed his 4 horse slant and all he did was turn the dividers around and add hinges on both ends so they could open either way, and have a door/ramp and but chain added to the first stall.  He didn't change the rear tack or door at all.

Steph
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2005-06-20 2:01 PM (#26807 - in reply to #26729)

All I can say is I have a Platinum Reverse Load and I love it!  I don't know that I will be able to go back to the straight slant again. 

barrelracer4sure
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-06-21 1:06 PM (#26874 - in reply to #26784)

Originally written by HaulinHorses on 2005-06-20 12:06 AM

My demo this year is not a reverse slant, but I wish it was...it will be next year.  If you are a barrel racer, you will have NO problem reselling a reverse slant load.  Charmayne James and Janet Stover both pull one, among many others.  They are in high demand among rodeo people.  Make sure it's 8' wide and has an escape door at the rear horse's head, and it's also nice to add an extra foot to the length for the bigger all the way across rear tack.  Make sure it's a 4 horse - most buyers want mangers, and 3 mangers would help the resale value, unless you are like me and don't want them.  The reverse slant we had in stock sold instantly!

When horses ride backwards, the weight distribution shifts from the front legs to the rear end.  When you step on the brakes, the huge rump muscles take the weight and the horse stays better balanced.  When they ride facing forward and you brake, the front legs absorb the shock, and the head bobbles.  They are less fatigued when you get to your destination, and in the long run, will probably stay sounder, longer because hauling is as hard on a horse as the runs are.

Thank you for that. It will be a couple of years before I can actually get a trailer. But I am looking at all my options.

sundance's girl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2005-06-21 1:42 PM (#26876 - in reply to #26729)

I have an open stock trailer type, big enough for my horse to walk in and turn himself around to walk out.  Could I, or should I, tie him "backwards" for the benefits of a reverse slant?    All the stuff you find out that you never knew you didn't know!
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-06-21 5:13 PM (#26887 - in reply to #26729)

Expert

Resale on reverse slants is very high...due to the fact that people in the know will hunt forever and a day for one.  We hardly ever see them on the market because they don't make it this far...very much like some trailer brands, snatched up before the owner puts a price on it.

Edited by huntseat 2005-06-21 5:17 PM
jzthoward
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2005-06-21 11:20 PM (#26909 - in reply to #26729)

New User

Are you wanting a reverse slant or reverse load? I have a reverse load Platinum and I love it!! I have seen reverse slants though, don't know much about them.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)