'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Traveling long distance w/ horses - Horse motels

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-06-22 11:12 AM
21 replies, 7191 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

irideaqh
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2005-06-15 10:55 PM (#26625)
Subject: Traveling long distance w/ horses - Horse motels

It's official - we are moving from Virginia to Oklahoma. My husband
got orders to Tinker Air Force Base in Midwest City, OK yesterday and
we have to be there no later than November 30.

We will be splitting the 23 hour trip into 3 days and plan on
stopping at horse motels so our guys can get out and have time to
relax and stretch their legs.

Does anyone have any experience using horse motels? I found the
website horsetrip.com and have found several possible places to stay,
but am not sure how to determine which ones to use. We will be
traveling down Interstate 40 for the majority of the trip and
according to Mapquest it looks like we will need to stop in eastern
Tennessee and Arkansas. Has anyone used a horse motel in either of
these areas?

Also, the farthest I have traveled before with horses is about 8
hours. Any of you pros have tips or suggestions???

Thanks,

Lisa in VA (soon to be OK)
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Dawnya
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2005-06-15 11:42 PM (#26627 - in reply to #26625)
Subject: RE: Traveling long distance w/ horses - Horse motels

Extreme Veteran

Tip: water, water, water the horses.

We've also called ahead to vet clinics or arenas/fairgrounds

Edited by Dawnya 2005-06-15 11:48 PM
rockyrider
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2005-06-16 1:11 AM (#26631 - in reply to #26625)

Extreme Veteran

Need to check each state for health paper requirements. I think some states require a cert of health in addition to neg coggins. It'd be a bummer to get horses impounded and quarantined on top of the move.

http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/forum/thread-view.asp?threadid=2950&posts=29

Edited by rockyrider 2005-06-16 1:14 AM
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-06-16 6:27 AM (#26634 - in reply to #26625)

Expert

I got close to a bad experience with horsetrip.com, not with them but with a place they had listed. Fortunately I checked the place out when I didn't have horses with me, it was a dump and I made other arrangements. The bad part is that horsetrip.com doesn't seem to have a working e-mail address, so I couldn't get the particular BBB & B de-listed. Don't worry, it isn't on your route (-:

http://www.bbonline.com/horse.html
lists places that horsetrip.com doesn't, I had good luck finding a place in Nebraska with them.

On watering, offer it as soon as you stop - and again when you've done your own feed and bio break, they'll take more in two small drinks than one big one. Don't worry if they don't take any on the first water stop, or maybe even the second one. Another thing that SEEMS to help is if you take the stall bucket that they're used to (every little thing, etc.). If you're using 5 gallon ones maybe you'll want to put 2 gallon pails in for a week or two before the trip, they're a lot easier to hold up when nearly full.

Good luck, enjoy the trip, make check lists.
heritage lane farm
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-06-16 6:41 AM (#26635 - in reply to #26625)

Regular

Glad you are breaking the trip up into 3 days..very wise. We brought a horse from Denver to our home in Southcentral Pennsylvania. I put "horse motel" in the search engine, and did a state by state search. We took a different route, and used a horse motel in Lexington, Kentucky, the huge fairgrounds in central Missouri, and another stable in Kansas. The rates were reasonable, and accomodations very satisfactory. I also kept a folder with horse motels in all states we were going through - never know when the unexpected may happen. I called several weeks before the trip to reserve a spot, then called again when we were about 4 hours out as a courtesy to the horse motel, and I wanted no surprises! We had flat on the trailer on the interstate-make sure your spare is good, and jack operational. We also are firm believers in giving the horses a full hour rest over lunch. Trailer travel is hard work! If you are tired, the horses are tired. Our horses always have hay in front of them, and are offered water at each stop. At the horse motel, walk your horse for a while before putting him in the stall. This will stretch his legs, and give him a chance to pee and poop. I take water from home (5-10 gallons), so he has familiar water at least for the first part of the trip. I know this is conservative, but my motto is better safe than sorry!

Take Care,

Brenda

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-06-16 7:23 AM (#26637 - in reply to #26625)

Expert

Re 23 hours: If you used mapquest to figure the time I suggest you use their mileage, but calculate your time based on a 50 MPH average for freeways, with horses you'll be very lucky to do much better than this. I think they assume an average equal to the speed limit, you won't make the sort of times the mapping programs predict.

QHHUS
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-06-16 8:05 AM (#26640 - in reply to #26625)

Hi Lisa!

You will love OK!   I moved here 3 years ago from Indiana.   There are so many horse related activities here that you shouldn't ever be bored.  I make the trip back to Indiana about once a year with my horse so I can show with my family.   I have used both www. horsemotel and http://www.horsetrip/ for overnighting and have always had pretty good luck.   One of those sites has a rating system for the facilities and I have found that helpful in picking places.   Since I assume from your username that you have QH's, you can also find many farms in the QH Journal that are along the way and they are usually more than accomodating. 

Take your time and enjoy the trip.   I would also highly suggest starting your horse on electrolytes before the trip.   That always seems to keep my horse well hydrated. 

If you need any additional info about the area, let me know and I'd be glad to help.   Congrats on becoming an Okie!!!

Traci

Edited by QHHUS 2005-06-16 8:08 AM
Horse Crazy
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2005-06-16 8:21 AM (#26645 - in reply to #26625)

Regular

Wow! I'm green with envy. We live in SC. I'm sure you will just love it in OK. Along with equipment that is familiar to your horses, you may even want to take some of your own water. Sometimes the difference in the water from one area to another will deter them from drinking. Good Luck!
Dawnya
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2005-06-16 8:35 AM (#26647 - in reply to #26625)

Extreme Veteran

Here.  I print this out and keep it in the trailer:

Edited by Dawnya 2005-06-16 8:44 AM
lucky
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2005-06-16 9:07 AM (#26652 - in reply to #26625)

Regular

Lisa,

We are looking at moving to Virginia.  What are the horse activities like there?  Good trails to ride in the mountains?  How populated are the trails - I mean are you going to run into tons of people?  Anything you or anyone else that lives there can share is appreciated.

hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-06-16 9:13 AM (#26655 - in reply to #26652)

Expert

Originally written by lucky on 2005-06-16 10:07 PM

We are looking at moving to Virginia.  What are the horse activities like there?  Good trails to ride in the mountains?  How populated are the trails - I mean are you going to run into tons of people?  Anything you or anyone else that lives there can share is appreciated.

Depends on where you're going to be.  VA is a diverse state.  The mountains in the south .. around Mt Rogers is prime trail horse riding.  We just took a week riding point to point camping along the way.  I used to live in N Va, the hunt Jump bunch is very active.

So where are you

lucky
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2005-06-16 9:58 AM (#26662 - in reply to #26625)

Regular

Looking to relocate to the Richmond area.  Thanks for the info.
irideaqh
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2005-06-16 1:01 PM (#26684 - in reply to #26662)

We live about an hour west of Virginia Beach near Suffolk.

Virginia has lots of horse stuff for just about every discipline. Near where we live there are two active horse show associations that hold local shows all spring & summer long. There is tons of trail riding in the western part of the state in the Blue Ridge Mountains. I have shown at AQHA shows at the Richmond Fairgrounds but don't really know what else goes on up in that area.

I am sure that you will be able to find whatever it is you are interested in doing.
appydeb
Reg. Sep 2004
Posted 2005-06-16 2:23 PM (#26690 - in reply to #26625)

If you don't already have it, I would look into USRider.org travel ins. It is like AAA auto club, but is designed for those of us pulling horse trailers.

Oklahoma is a VERY horsey area (I grew up a Kansas cowgirl) - if you are a western rider, you will be happy. I sure miss pulling a trailer along those nice FLAT highways! Mountains are the pits for hauling. Are you planning to take I-40 through Asheville? If so, be prepared for the Old Fort grade just East of us - it's a doozy.

You can get a lot of info about traveling with horses from those Endurance folks who haul all over the place. We had riders here recently from Florida, Texas, MN - go to Endurance.net and ask away on Ridecamp. Very helpful bunch.

Good luck! deb in Asheville, NC
Erin_CBT
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2005-06-16 2:38 PM (#26692 - in reply to #26625)

Traveling with horses doesn't have to be hard. I'm from Indiana and have made trips to Texas a lot showing QHs. Definitely make sure you have health papers and coggins. In some states, like Illinios, you even have to have your vet register your health certificate with the State Board of Animal Health, it's a pain. Make sure the horses have plenty to drink. It's also a good idea to wrap legs or use shipping boots to support legs, standing is hard on them! You may also want to check with different fairgrounds along the way. Sometimes 4-H groups will let you use their facilities at a much cheaper price! Good luck and safe travels!
RichB
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-06-16 3:23 PM (#26696 - in reply to #26625)

Extreme Veteran

Looks like everything has been covered, except make sure your horses are up to date on all their vaccinations and any vaccinations particular to the areas you will be traveling through.   Ask your vet when he/she comes out for the health certs.
AbbyB
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-06-16 8:59 PM (#26717 - in reply to #26625)

Veteran

IMO, one of the best investments you can make is buying the book "US Stabling Guide".  Phone # for it is 800-829-0715 - usually runs around $25.  It lists places to stay by state & is invaluble in case you are not able to reach your planned destination & need to find another.  I literally have hauled horses from one end of the country & back - east to west & south to north & used this book ALOT.  One of my friends just hauled horses out here from MI & she bought the newest one & LOVES it, too.   Lots of good suggestions on here for the horses....one I would add is to buy the "all net" hay bags - not the rope type, but the bags, but they are totally the mesh net instead of the solid nylon.  Then, shortly before you load up each morning, fill them w/good grass hay & soak them w/water.  (with them being the mesh net, they will drain & get air to the hay & not have a pile of water in the bottom of it to mold) It is a help to get moisture in the horses & it also keeps any potential dust down in an already enclosed, potentially dusty environment.  (some people do not like to feed hay while hauling - we do simply because it keeps the horses gut working & less chance of impaction).  We always carry our own hay w/us so we are not switching types/quality on the road or as soon as we "land" at our destination.  Oh, and another website for potential places to stay - or to camp or take a vacation - ck out  http://www.horseandmuletrails.com/

Good luck on your move!

Potomac Creek
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2005-06-21 7:50 AM (#26842 - in reply to #26662)

Regular

Hi Lucky,

We live in Fredericksburg, VA currently.  We are moving to King George in September.  Be careful choosing a place to live with horses here in VA.  We have found that some Home owners association can change covenants in horse communities quite easily.  Make sure the horse owners are in the majority.  I have had a bad experience.

We like to go to Fort Valley in the Blue Ridge Mountains. You then have access to the George Washington National Forest for trail riding.

The north side of Richmond is Ashland.  From here through Northern VA you will find shows of all disciplines.  My daughter is getting into Hunter/Jumper and Fox Hunting. 

Good Luck with your move and be prepared to sit in traffic on I 95.

Warren

rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-06-21 10:18 AM (#26855 - in reply to #26625)

Great info here.  We use a cherry flavored electrolyte powder which helps to disguise the different water.  also some folks around here use lemonlime soda pop to flavor water so the diferences aren't so noticeable to the horses.  Good luck on your move, and happy trails.

irideaqh
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2005-06-21 1:04 PM (#26873 - in reply to #26625)

I have had several suggestions of staying at fairgrounds.  Does anyone know how I can locate fairgrounds along my route?

Thanks for all the great suggestions.  I really appreciate them!!

Lisa

AbbyB
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-06-21 5:27 PM (#26889 - in reply to #26625)

Veteran

There are some listed in the above book I recommended
irideaqh
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2005-06-22 11:12 AM (#26925 - in reply to #26625)

Thanks! I ordered the book a couple of days ago and am anxiously awaiting its arrival.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)