'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Bumper install - what do you think?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-06-28 11:27 PM
12 replies, 4626 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

appydeb
Reg. Sep 2004
Posted 2005-06-15 6:33 PM (#26611)
Subject: Bumper install - what do you think?

I just picked my Bison 2 horse trailer up from the dealer where I had a back bumper installed. I actually took it in to get a connection in my lights repaired and asked about bumpers. They acted like they had to be specially ordered (I was inquiring for a friend who was told to get one put on her CM trailer) - they told me to have her call and give them the model & VIN #. I asked how much they cost and was told they had a used one they would sell me. Sounded good. Well, when I was paying, I was so concerned about why my lights quit working that I forgot about the bumper. The guy casually mentioned that the bumper was a little wider than the trailer so they put "end caps" on. I ASSUMED we were talking less than an inch! Nope, got it back to the farm and when I looked at it I couldn't believe it. The bumper sticks several inches out of each side AND there is no end cap - what he was talking about was a bracket they attached to my trailer that also sticks out and holds the ends of the bumper. I can't believe a place that sells horse trailers could possibly think that was acceptable - I now have a major hazard ready to rip up a horse's leg the next time I tie one to my trailer - and it cost me $100 to boot. I am trying to calm down before I call them tomorrow. Any suggestions about how to deal with them? Am I asking too much to have them remove it and give me ALL my money back? I hate controversy. I just wish they had called me and told me it was too wide and did I still want it installed.... deb in Asheville, NC
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-06-15 7:24 PM (#26616 - in reply to #26611)
Subject: RE: Bumper install - what do you think?

Expert

is this the kind of "bumper" youre refering to? 

http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=30e07fdd-7b6a-11d5-a192-00b0d0204ae5 

and if i may, what dealer are you refering to?  pm me if youre not comfotable posting that.  thanks

Edited by chadsalt 2005-06-15 7:45 PM
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-06-15 8:29 PM (#26619 - in reply to #26611)

Expert

I think it is totally unacceptable to put a wrong size ANYTHING on ANYTHING for a customer. I don't think it is different if it new, used, good deal or free.

BTW, at a guess they stuck a bumper for a 7ft 6in trailer on a 6ft 8in trailer, no excuse.

I don't know how you handle these things, but if you shy from conflict you might want to suggest that they made an innocent mistake that could get them in a liability situation that they're likely to regret (or somesuch...)
appydeb
Reg. Sep 2004
Posted 2005-06-15 8:48 PM (#26620 - in reply to #26616)

Yes, that's the bumper. (Now I also see that I didn't get such a great deal buying a used one!) I didn't even know there was such a thing til I told a friend I was taking my trailer in for the lights. She recently went to pick up a new (rather expensive) horse in her trailer and the sellers suggested she get a bumper to protect the horse when loading/unloading. So she wanted me to find out if my dealer sold/installed them.

Now I feel so stupid. I have GOT to learn (I'm originally from the midwest) that I can't trust ANYBODY!! I should have looked at it before I left, but I just went merrily on my way. They made such a big deal about it having to be the "right" one for a trailer, I never dreamed they would bolt one on that stuck out so far. It wasn't easy either - they had to bolt L-shaped brackets on each side of my trailer so they could use it to bolt the ends of the bumper onto something. If I had taken my trailer to someplace like Bud's Body Shop, I could understand them doing something horse-unfriendly like this. But, not a shop sitting in the middle of a huge lot of horse trailers! I can't even take a hacksaw and cut it off the way it is. Why didn't they just cut it to size before attaching it? I guess I'll find out tomorrow when I call..... deb in Asheville

As for the dealer's name - I think I'll see how they handle this situation first. But, dang, it will mean another trip out there - at least this time I can just drop it off and pick it up. Yesterday, I had to leave the truck/trailer overnight because of the light problem.
appydeb
Reg. Sep 2004
Posted 2005-06-15 8:57 PM (#26621 - in reply to #26619)

Thank you, thank you! This is what I needed - support AND you gave me ammunition. But, even so - I'm expecting them to tell me to bring it back and they will happily remove it and refund the cost of the bumper. I need to prepare myself for the possibility that they refuse to refund the labor charge - or maybe even charge me labor to take it off. That would be hard to swallow! deb in Asheville, NC
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-06-15 10:12 PM (#26623 - in reply to #26620)

Expert

Originally written by appydeb on 2005-06-15 9:48 PM

Yes, that's the bumper.

But, not a shop sitting in the middle of a huge lot of horse trailers! 

they should have cut the bumper to fit.  i would not like to be the guy i had to go back and ask what the h### he was thinking.

hmmmm......a shop in the middle of a huge lot in the ashville area?  ive already got a good idea who were talking about.

let us know how that turns out.

Edited by chadsalt 2005-06-15 10:14 PM
appydeb
Reg. Sep 2004
Posted 2005-06-16 11:23 AM (#26667 - in reply to #26611)
Subject: Bumper install - what do you think? UPDATE

I decided to call the trailer place and talk to a woman in the Sales Dept. who was involved in the purchase of my trailer (my salesman is long gone). When I told her the situation, she was shocked and immediately took action. She has a new bumper coming in with a shipment tomorrow and I am taking the trailer over there on Monday to have it installed.

Now I'm just hoping they don't have to drill more holes to put the other one on (i.e.I hope they line up). Wouldn't that weaken the structure of that piece? I'll still be left with the holes on the side of the trailer where they attached that L-bracket, but I can live with that.

I have no idea what this might cost me - I'll let you all know next week. Thanks for letting me "unload" on this MB - it really helped me deal with this. deb in Asheville
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-06-16 11:31 AM (#26668 - in reply to #26667)
Subject: RE: Bumper install - what do you think? UPDATE

Expert

Originally written by appydeb on 2005-06-16 12:23 PM

I decided to call the trailer place and talk to a woman in the Sales Dept. who was involved in the purchase of my trailer (my salesman is long gone). When I told her the situation, she was shocked and immediately took action. She has a new bumper coming in with a shipment tomorrow and I am taking the trailer over there on Monday to have it installed. Now I'm just hoping they don't have to drill more holes to put the other one on (i.e.I hope they line up). Wouldn't that weaken the structure of that piece? I'll still be left with the holes on the side of the trailer where they attached that L-bracket, but I can live with that. I have no idea what this might cost me - I'll let you all know next week. Thanks for letting me "unload" on this MB - it really helped me deal with this. deb in Asheville
hope it works out well for you, and ill tell you exactly how much id pay for them to fix their mess.... $0.00i suspect a few extra holes, if the new bumper doesnt line up, wont cause any major problems.
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-06-16 12:33 PM (#26677 - in reply to #26667)

Expert

I'd want them to do something to the holes on the side of the trailer too.  It will let in water and cause rust.
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-06-16 1:58 PM (#26688 - in reply to #26677)

Expert

I'm surprised it is so expensive.
From the picture it looks just like ordinary rubber dock bumper (generic).
There are a couple of short lengths of it on my Jamco ramp to act as landing bumpers. This stuff comes by the foot (I'd guess at half the price at truck repair places), just cut to length - I think there is a metal backing strip to prevent bolt pull through.
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-06-16 3:15 PM (#26694 - in reply to #26611)

Expert

on this same note, i would like to thank all the lousy mechanics at the auto/motorcycle/trailer shops ive dealt with over the years. their incompetence forced me to become a rather capable mechanic myself. thanks again.
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-06-27 8:05 PM (#27251 - in reply to #26611)

Expert

so what happened?
appydeb
Reg. Sep 2004
Posted 2005-06-28 11:27 PM (#27333 - in reply to #27251)
Subject: Bumper install - what do you think? NO UPDATE YET!

Nothing. It isn't that convenient to get the trailer back over there. I have been out of town and they are closed for an extended July 4th holiday. I told them I would bring it back after that. Glad I don't have horse hauling plans for the 4th! (too rainy anyhoo). I'll add the final chapter to this event when it finally happens! Thanks for the interest.... deb in NC

EVERYONE HAVE A SAFE AND HAPPY FOURTH!!!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)