'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Tire Alignment For Trailer

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2022-11-28 9:45 AM
4 replies, 1113 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Lazy M
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2022-11-19 4:46 PM (#185452)
Subject: Tire Alignment For Trailer

Regular

Hi
So the tires on the rear axles on my 2003 Elite have worn badly on the inside, tires on front axle seem to have worn evenly.
So I took the trailer into tire shop and had the bearings and axles checked and I am told both are fine but that I should get
an alignment on the trailer.   I have never head of this, if this really a thing or would I be paying for a service I don't need?
Opinions?
Thanks
Joan
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
RTSmith
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2022-11-22 8:32 AM (#185454 - in reply to #185452)
Subject: RE: Tire Alignment For Trailer

Elite Veteran

Well, they are right, and wrong. Your Elite will have a torsion axle on it, which means there is a solid steel beam bolted to the frame, and at each end a swing arm / spindle mounted in rubber- pushed into the end of the beam. Normally- trailer and big truck axles are aligned by literally bending them. But since you have that rubber connection in the middle- not possible. Dexter (a large torsion axle maker) for example clearly states "no" regarding any alignment to that product. So yes- tire wear shows a need for alignment, no- that axle isn't supposed to be aligned.

For what it is worth, oftentimes rear tire inside wear can come from a trailer that is nose high. The slope puts a higher load on the rear axle, causing negative camber causing tire wear. We have seen simply leveling the trailer may help. Otherwise, a new axle is in order.

Also however- how long did that take to happen? Generally rear tires wear worse than front, so it is the norm to rotate the tires when the bearings are packed.  

Edited by RTSmith 2022-11-22 8:33 AM
Lazy M
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2022-11-26 8:11 AM (#185457 - in reply to #185452)

Regular

Thank you for your reply to my post.  My trailer does ride a little nose high, truck seems tall for it.  How many inches should  be allowed between the trucks bed rail and trailer to be safe? 
Also, I haul one horse in the rear stall and I am wondering if that also has an effect on rear axle weight.     I have been told that it should't be a problem with a living quarters due to the
weight of the interior conunteracting  the weight of the horse in the last stall..
These tires are 4 years old.
Thanks
Joan
goldenbear2001
Reg. May 2014
Posted 2022-11-27 11:04 AM (#185458 - in reply to #185452)

I have approximately 5.5" between the underside of the gooseneck and top of truck bed rail. No clearance issues. 2019 Ram 3500 4x4 Dually & 2015 Lakota 8411 w/slide. Fairly heavy. I'm at the last notch on the shocker hitch coupler too.
RTSmith
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2022-11-28 9:45 AM (#185459 - in reply to #185452)

Elite Veteran

I typically shoot for about 7-8" (two fists on top of each other) between truck bed and trailer. Your terrain may require different spacing.Yes- older trailers sat lower, which is causing problems with new trucks. That's why you'll see a lot of new trailers advertised as zero degree axles, or blocked axles - all done to raise the rear end for a level ride. 
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)