'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Exiss Sport LQ - comments?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-06-23 9:19 AM
10 replies, 4963 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

rollingrfarm
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2005-06-13 7:52 AM (#26439)
Subject: Exiss Sport LQ - comments?

Regular

Can anyone tell me about their personal experience with this trailer? 

We went to a dealer and hubby smoked over Exiss Sport, a Sundowner Sunlite and several others; he  crawled all around, under and in them.  He didn't  see much difference in the basic way they are made and put together.  He said that aside from different types of hinges, he doesn't see the difference and where the problems would be or what goes wrong with them. 

I know the skin is thinner than their next step up, but what problems have been seen with this thinner aluminum? What goes wrong with it?  Is it hotter in the trailer compared to thicker skin?  Does a flying piece of gravel pierce it worse than other trailers?

Dealer says urine eats away aluminum, but does it eat aluminum away more than steel?

Dealer said the Exiss doesn't hold up to a horse kick like the Sundowner, but pounding on the trailer, especially with the mats in the Exiss, I don't see how a horse could damage it with a kick any worse than in the Sundowner with the sprayed in coating/liner.

What am I missing that makes some folks say the Exiss and cheap and they wouldn't buy one?

Please give me your thoughts or warnings because we are thinking of buying a Exiss 307E Sport with LQ and need to know what problems with them we aren't aware of.  Stop us before we make a mistake, or are we on the right track?

KR   

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
MIfarmbabe
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-06-13 8:53 AM (#26443 - in reply to #26439)
Subject: RE: Exiss Sport LQ - comments?

Extreme Veteran

I wasn't impressed with them. I even had a dealer say he wouldn't push one on me either and he wasn't pushing any trailer on me either because he knew I knew exactly what I wanted. I went with the Event model and love it. The Sport is narrower in width, 6'9" compared to a full 7' width with the Event. Doesn't seem like alot but my horse fits much better in my trailer than a previous 6'8" trailer I had.

Hey, if you are doubting yourself on this trailer and asking for reassurance on this forum, maybe you should keep looking.

Horse Crazy
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2005-06-13 9:24 AM (#26446 - in reply to #26439)

Regular

My husband and I are looking at Exiss also. Or should I say we were. I had a dealer tell me the tubing that runs from the top to the bottom is hollw on an Exiss trailer. That's scary. I have also heard that Sundowner does not honor the warranty on their floor system unless it is cleaned after every use. If you go like we do, that's not good. I think we will end up with a Gore. It's a well made trailer. I don't think it is a popular trailer out West, but it is here in the East. It's an aluminum trailer with a wood floor. Gore offers a ten year warranty on the floor. We have done so much research on trailers. What we have found, the better trailers our out of price range. We have learned a lot through all our research. If I were you I would look at some more trailers. Your husband is smart to be looking at them from top to bottom and ask a lot of questions. Thanks to this website we have completely decided against the Bison trailer. Good luck with your new purchase.
packerpete
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2005-06-13 2:09 PM (#26469 - in reply to #26439)

Veteran

In the Exiss Sport Model the quality of the doors and (drop down) windows appeared to be decreased over other Exiss Lines. Try this test: open a drop down window hold it at the upper corners and twist...The sport model ( and some from Featherlight) appear to flex and twist. The Event Model Exiss encorporates better quality doors and windows that will not twist in this test. Also you get a Spare tire!
NickWilson1021
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2005-06-13 2:20 PM (#26472 - in reply to #26439)

I have an Exiss Sport and absolutly love it!!! I also have two horses that are kickers and they paw and I haven't have one scratch or dent in the trailer. I was also at a rodeo and somebody parked too close to my trailer. They tied their horse to their trailer and it ended up kicking the crud out of my rear tack door. I was so mad, I just knew there was going to be a big dent in my door, and nothing, I can't find a thing wrong with. That tells me that the alluminum is pretty strong. I did alot of research before purchasing a new trailer and this one past the test as far as I'm concerned. I haul alot going to AQHA shows a few times a month and rodeos every weekend. I haul my trailer at least 3 times a week to practice. It is doing great job. If  I had it to do over, this is the trailer I would choose. Hope this helps!!!

Horse Crazy
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2005-06-13 2:23 PM (#26473 - in reply to #26439)

Regular

It sounds like your putting a lot of miles on your trailer. What year is it? What other models have you owned in the past that you can compare it to.
Butch
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-06-13 7:22 PM (#26507 - in reply to #26439)

We noticed the exiss is so tall off the ground, it makes it harder to get in and out for you and the horses. Watch your horses how they unload.
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-06-13 7:35 PM (#26509 - in reply to #26439)

Expert

I do not have personal experience with the Sport model but I do own a Exiss. I have several friends who also own them. We are all satisfied with our purchase.

While they may not be at level of the Events, I don't think they are that much lower in quality that would effect its safety. I think they are filling the market for a less expensive trailer thats still all -aluminum. Just as you'd expect to pay more for a 8ft wide trailer, one would expect to pay less for something in the 6'8" width. If you are trailer shopping and you know the differences, you can make the call yourself.  You have to find what will fit into your budget and fill your needs.

MBRA518
Reg. Sep 2004
Posted 2005-06-13 7:37 PM (#26513 - in reply to #26469)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by packerpete on 2005-06-13 3:09 PM

In the Exiss Sport Model the quality of the doors and (drop down) windows appeared to be decreased over other Exiss Lines. Try this test: open a drop down window hold it at the upper corners and twist...The sport model ( and some from Featherlight) appear to flex and twist. The Event Model Exiss encorporates better quality doors and windows that will not twist in this test. Also you get a Spare tire!

The dealer I bought my trailer from also sells Exiss (I bought a CM) and he sells an upgrade on the windows... on a 3H I think it was $700 to upgrade the drops to the large metal frames one and add the Stainless nose cap to the goose.

I choose the CM over the Sport because I plan on keeping this trailer for Long long time and the CM was built more sturdy.

farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-06-13 7:37 PM (#26514 - in reply to #26507)

Expert

Oh I wanted to comment about the height issue- I have no problems loading or unloading my horses. I don't have a ramp- personal preference- and yet, the horse manage to step off anyway. Butch- I don't know what problems you are speaking of.
1mip2
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2005-06-23 9:19 AM (#26962 - in reply to #26439)

New User

I'm looking in to purchasing the Exiss Event SS20 http://www.wctacksupply.com/exiss.htm  Does anyone have an opinion on this?  After looking around at Silverlite, Logan, Trails West, Featherlite etc... the Exiss Event SS20 was much nicer in build and quality than the others were.  Please let me know what your opinion is on the Exiss Event SS20!!!!!!!

Edited by 1mip2 2005-06-23 9:20 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)