'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
#$%@!! Ramp doors... OUCH.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-06-15 6:13 PM
12 replies, 4645 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

NoSpam
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-06-12 10:06 PM (#26430)
Subject: #$%@!! Ramp doors... OUCH.

Veteran

My TrailsWest trailer has a ramp and above that a half door.  The half door, when open, is just high enough off the ground that if you are wearing a hat, you don't see the door (it's just above the brim of my hat) and you can walk right into the #$%^!! thing face first when walking around the trailer.  It has now happened three times to various people around my trailer.  Is there any way to make it less of a face-breaker?  I have a long ribbon hanging off of it, but last time it happened my husband had just taken the ribbon off to close the door, and *I* walked into it while putting my tack up.  OUCH!!  I am ready to rip the dang door off!  It's just not safe.  Any great ideas to make the darned thing visible when it's open?  I even though about changing the hinges so when it's open, the door sits flush against the rear tack compartment door...

THANKS!

Michelle

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2005-06-12 11:18 PM (#26435 - in reply to #26430)
Subject: RE: #$%@!! Ramp doors... OUCH.

Expert

I can imagine what that's like.I had  a WW thoroughbred(tall) trailer w/ramp and double doors above the ramp.I don't know if your trailer is alum,GN or what,but I could remove the doors above the ramp and did so.Yours may not be able to be taken off,but if you can I'd sure do it if I were you.I got rid of mine because I was headed for the neuro/ortho man from picking the %*&!# ramp up to close it!
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-06-13 7:21 AM (#26437 - in reply to #26430)

Expert

So do both of my trailers (have such doors above the ramps).
They're in one of only 2 states; open, shut, or transitioning between.
In this case 'open' means secured against the side of the trailer.
I hope I misunderstood your post, but it is POSSIBLE to read that you leave these doors unsecured and able to flap in the breeze, then get surprised when you walk into them. For EVERYONE'S sakes PLEASE tie these doors back when open, they can spook a horse when they flap and as you've already experienced, they can hurt humans fairly directly.
Again, I hope I misread your post.

Edited by Reg 2005-06-13 8:14 AM
barry
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-06-13 8:20 AM (#26442 - in reply to #26430)

Veteran

Try placing a orange cone on the ground to make you walk around the "point of contention."

Otherwise you may have to do like a new horse I just bought.  Everytime he unloaded he raised his head and hit the roof.  I kept trying to figure out how to protect his head . . . but finally he hit it enough that he figured out how to avoid the roof before I figured out how to stop him.  Of course, just because you figure out how not to hit your head won't help a passerby . . .

Edited by barry 2005-06-13 8:27 AM
NoSpam
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-06-13 8:59 AM (#26445 - in reply to #26437)

Veteran

Hi Reg,

Mine does have a latch that holds it from flapping in the wind...   

Unfortunately, it does not fold flat against the trailer when it's latched open - only for loading, unloading, or cleaning the trailer.  If it's not directly in use, it's closed.  It sticks straight out to the side (perpendicular to the trailer) when it's open.  It's mounted on a simple piano hinge.  If it could fold further back to the side of the trailer, all the problems would be solved because that's so much further back than it goes now.  My Featherlite trailer has nice doors that fold further open - I think this is probably you have on your trailer...  The doors on my rig are an older design and definitely not the same as what's used now on TW's.

Maybe I can just get hold of some specialty door hinges that would allow it to open all the way?  That's something I will look at today as a possible solution.  Otherwise, for now, I will have that door whacked off of there.

I can post a picture if anyone wants to see the @#$%~!! thing!

Happy Trails,

Michelle

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-06-13 11:38 AM (#26451 - in reply to #26430)

Expert

Bumm'rrrr !
Yes, my rear ramp doors fold back 270 degrees and cli[p against the sides of the trailer, the side ramp ones go 180 to clip against the side.
I was going to send you a couple of spare hold back clips, but it sounds like you couldn't use them anyway (-:
I've "busy bodied around" at a few events and secured a couple such doors that people have just thoughtlessly left flapping, so that was probably why I overeacted to your post (-:
Any chance you could use bungies ?
How about the cone idea already suggested and maybe hung from the door's edge on a bungie ?

Good luck with this one, I havn't slammed my fingers in a door for MANY YEARS now, but it took me a while to learn not to.

NoSpam
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-06-13 2:29 PM (#26477 - in reply to #26451)

Veteran

Barry - the cone idea is a good one...   Thanks!

Reg - We do CTR and I would lose points for a door left flapping.  I totally concur about keeping camp setups as safe as possible.

I found a good looking 270 deg. hinge in Redneck's catalog, that seems like the right solution.  It didn't occur to me to change out the whole hinge until your first post, so thanks. :-)  The piano hinge is just riveted and spot welded, so how hard can it be to change out? (famous last words)  Hahaha!

Happy Trails,

Michelle

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-06-14 10:26 PM (#26575 - in reply to #26477)

Expert

Originally written by NoSpam on 2005-06-13 2:29 PM

Barry - the cone idea is a good one... Thanks!

Reg - We do CTR and I would lose points for a door left flapping. I totally concur about keeping camp setups as safe as possible.

I found a good looking 270 deg. hinge in Redneck's catalog, that seems like the right solution. It didn't occur to me to change out the whole hinge until your first post, so thanks. :-) The piano hinge is just riveted and spot welded, so how hard can it be to change out? (famous last words) Hahaha!

Happy Trails,

Michelle

Well, it depends how handy you are, what tools you have and how good you are at getting by with only those tools (-:

If you believe the 270 degree hinges you've found will work AND you can find good places to mount them it could work out. You'll need to mount them to the FRAME of the trailer and to the FRAME of the door. Remember, they need to be mounted strong enough to take a pounding down the road and in and out of fields.

I'd try to figure out how to put them on with the piano hinges still in place, one advantage being that you can back out and just leave the piano hinges there if things look too hairy. Also, you shouldn't have to take the doors down and heave them back up into place, they'll already be in place and aligned for you. I've accepted that 4-Star's method of rivetting hinges on works very well and is very strong, so I'd use rivets if at all possible ESPECIALLY if this is an alumin trailer. You can get stainless steel rivets, but they're aweful tough to pull in, they need the big two hand rivet gun. Be absolutely sure that the hinge axis is parallel to the existing piano hinge. I think I'd drill out the spot welds, then drill out the piano hinge's rivets. After that you can swing it open and locate where the hold back catches have to go. Clean up any ragged edges with a grinder, prime and paint if steel or sand and polish if alumin.

Yeah, a possible task (-:

NoSpam
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-06-15 9:04 AM (#26582 - in reply to #26575)

Veteran

Hi Reg,

Thanks!

If I have to remove the door, it does make very good sense to drill a couple of holes in the door and screw it to the trailer frame nice and straight while installing the new hinges (thanks, I thought of that based on your idea)...   It was originally installed a bit off camber and it hits the ramp door when you close it - which caused the lower spot weld of the paino hinge to fail.  I'd really like to raise it up just a bit and fix that (yep, got burly friends to help with that :-))).

The trailer still needs paint, so no worries about messing with the body.

Happy Trails,

Michelle

gabz
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-06-15 11:35 AM (#26588 - in reply to #26582)

Expert

Back your pickup up to the back of the trailer to work on the rear doors.  You might even want to remove tailgate - but it gives you a great height and sturdy, wide, platform. : )
NoSpam
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-06-15 5:12 PM (#26604 - in reply to #26588)

Veteran

Thank you, Gabz, for another great idea.

I took my welder to lunch today to butter him up...  Hopefully he will help me out on this project.

Happy Trails,

Michelle

Turfa
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2005-06-15 6:02 PM (#26607 - in reply to #26430)

Veteran

How about changing the hinges to the backside of the ramp.  Have them fold down and latch to the ramp.  If the ramp is down the doors are out of the way.

Turfa

NoSpam
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-06-15 6:13 PM (#26609 - in reply to #26607)

Veteran

I appreciate the creative idea. 

That would definitely get the door out of the way, but it would make the @#$%!! ramp heavy and the hinges would be under the ramp edge when it's down, which might not be good in the rocks and mud... 

My husbands idea is to cut the door in half and hinge it down the middle, so it folds up smaller. 

The welder said to hang a mudflap off of it to make it visible...  Or just keep running into it face first until I learn to 'not do that'.

Happy Trails,

Michelle

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World