'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
staining wood panels

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-06-10 1:16 PM
4 replies, 3038 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

NoSpam
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-06-09 6:07 PM (#26294)
Subject: staining wood panels

Veteran

Hi,

Is there a great/fast way to stain wood paneling, like using an air gun or airless sprayer?  We have an airless, but it takes forever to clean out after using it.  The air guns look like they might be easier to clean (and we do have a compressor).  However, I have not tried spraying stain/polyurethane through a gun...

I would like to seal both sides of my wood paneling, and am looking for the most efficient way to git 'er done. 

Will enamel primer be good enough to seal back sides of the wood?  Then stain/polyurethane for the front sides?

This is obviously my first rodeo. :-)

Thanks in advance!

Happy Trails,

Michelle

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Dawnya
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2005-06-09 6:09 PM (#26295 - in reply to #26294)
Subject: RE: staining wood panels

Extreme Veteran

We used polyurethane and those wide sponge applicators.
santelikk
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-06-09 8:19 PM (#26300 - in reply to #26294)

Regular

I worked in a custom furniture store for 8 or so years, in the finishing department. This was all wood furniture that we would stain, or paint depending on the customer's preference. We used an air gun to do the painting and sealing, I experimented with the stain and had very little luck getting a nice even coat with the air gun application. For sealing the wood we used both the water based and oil based polyurethane and I really like the results of both. Oil in my experiance took usually only two coats. Water depending on the wood around three sometimes four coats. the only difference was i could usually spray the water twice a day where as the oil only once. I would reccommend oil for a horse trailer use. It stands up to moisture a lot better. I would just use the poly for both sides, makes it quicker when spraying and you don't have to switch liquids in the spray gun.KevinIf you have any more questions feel free to ask.
NoSpam
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-06-10 8:43 AM (#26316 - in reply to #26300)

Veteran

THANKS so much!!   That's going to save me a lot of time.  I really appreciate it.  I sealed up some wood with a brush yesterday and realized it was going to take me forever to do all the paneling.

Happy Trails,

Michelle

gabz
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-06-10 1:16 PM (#26337 - in reply to #26316)

Expert

Micehlle

For the back side of your paneling, I suggest a can of primer, paint pan and roller. Once you prime it, you shouldn't need to paint it, if it won't show. The primer will protect against mildew, etc.  You can have the primer tinted if you want.

When I was testing colors of MinWax stain, I also had a can of the "pre-conditioner"... I had dipped the brush in the conditioner, applied it to the scrap of wood, then dipped in the stain and applied that... got me thinking... why not mix the stain with the preconditioner??  So - I did.

I just sorta guessed at amounts. I ended up using 2 small cans of conditioner to about 2 large cans of stain. Used a 3" wide brush and a thick terry towel to wipe off excess. Didn't take me very long at all.

Now I have to apply the polyurethane... slowly and carefully to avoid those runs and drips.

MY color is a mix of Sedona Red and Ipswich pine... can't wait to post photos ... (still in camera - not a digital)

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)