'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
99 Dodge question

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-06-08 5:39 PM
6 replies, 3607 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

ksCowgirl78
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2005-06-07 4:01 PM (#26182)
Subject: 99 Dodge question

Ive noticed on my last couple of rodeo trips that my truck is making a noise when I turn left. I hear a high-pitched squealing noise under the front end of the truck. It's not the brakes and only stops when I turn or jerk the steering wheel to the right. I also have noticed that the truck pulls the left harder when I go to stop with the trailer. It doesnt really do this with out the trailer - the pulling.Any ideas?? Its a 99 2500 Dodge 4X4 with a Cummins and a shift kit. Automatic.Its going to the shop tomorrow, and im truly frightened that its going to cost an arm and a leg!!!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
RichB
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-06-07 4:32 PM (#26187 - in reply to #26182)
Subject: RE: 99 Dodge question

Extreme Veteran

Could be any number of things.  Have the shop tell you what the problem is and give you a written estimate.  Don't let them do any work though, let them know you need to think it over.

Then go here:  http://www.turbodieselregistry.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26 and post a thread asking for some help.  You will be able to get some valuable information from people who may have had a similiar problem, as far as the problem and the cost to repair.   Don't let them do work unless you feel comfortable. You can also post the results here and get some good info.  Mr. Truck can help.

MrTruck
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-06-07 8:53 PM (#26201 - in reply to #26182)

Elite Veteran

TDR is a great source. Could be a ball joint or the netorius tracking bar which would make steering looser.  Luke's Link has an adjustable replacement end for the tracking bar. I'd jack up the front axle and turn the wheel and try to track it down.
ksCowgirl78
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2005-06-08 9:42 AM (#26214 - in reply to #26182)

I tried TDR, looked to see what they had and couldnt find anything similar to what I was experienceing. DIdnt have a whole lot of time to search.I took it in to the shop this morning, and the left wheel bearing is about to break. Its taken out a number of surrounding things they said. The service manager said parts would be $480 alone, and it would cost me nearly $1000 to fix. Does this sound right?
RichB
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-06-08 3:51 PM (#26239 - in reply to #26214)

Extreme Veteran

What's their labor rate? What kind of shop, is it the dealer?    At $65/hr, that 8 hours.  That seems high, both for a labor rate and the amount of time, unless it's the dealer.  And what kind of parts, Dodge parts or other?  If it's Dodge parts, expect to pay a premium.If it is a dealer, make sure they are a 5 star, at least they are concerned about what you think of their service, plus you'll get a warranty.  Costs more but I like the piece of mind.  Unless you have a shop you really trust.   Do you have a mechanically inclined friend who can look at the damage?   It is just hard to say without visually seeing the damage and knowing what needs to be done.  Also, since it's a 4wd, you have more things to replace up front if something goes wrong, so I would expect it to cost more than a 2wd.
ksCowgirl78
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2005-06-08 3:59 PM (#26240 - in reply to #26239)

Originally written by RichB on 2005-06-08 3:51 PM

What's their labor rate? What kind of shop, is it the dealer?    At $65/hr, that 8 hours.  That seems high, both for a labor rate and the amount of time, unless it's the dealer.  And what kind of parts, Dodge parts or other?  If it's Dodge parts, expect to pay a premium.If it is a dealer, make sure they are a 5 star, at least they are concerned about what you think of their service, plus you'll get a warranty.  Costs more but I like the piece of mind.  Unless you have a shop you really trust.   Do you have a mechanically inclined friend who can look at the damage?   It is just hard to say without visually seeing the damage and knowing what needs to be done.  Also, since it's a 4wd, you have more things to replace up front if something goes wrong, so I would expect it to cost more than a 2wd.
Not sure what their cost of labor is, but it is the local Dodge dealer, and they are 5-Star. They are Dodge parts too, as he said used or rebuilt parts wouldnt be worth the time and effort. Dad thought that the quote seemed about right especially since it is a dealer and the parts. I guess i will see when I get the bill. He said too they will stand behind it. Ive had work done at this dealer before and they always made it right if something wasnt up to par.
RichB
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-06-08 5:39 PM (#26243 - in reply to #26240)

Extreme Veteran

I wouldn't worry too much about a 5-star dealer playing games with you.  A dealer has a higher labor rate (because of the higher overhead), and the parts are expensive, but at least you know the mechanics are familiar with your vehicle and will use the right parts, plus they will stand behind their work.  For the piece of mind, I'd do it.   
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)