'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Single Axle Bumper Pull?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-06-22 11:08 AM
11 replies, 11147 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

OldRookie
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-06-07 11:44 AM (#26157)
Subject: Single Axle Bumper Pull?

I have had a tough time finding a 2 Horse bumper pull trailer and finally found one worth the money.  The only potential problem is that it is a single axle.

I like pulling a single axle trailer, but my question is, will the horses feel any difference?

Thanks for your help,

Doc

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
rodear
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2005-06-07 5:41 PM (#26191 - in reply to #26157)
Subject: RE: Single Axle Bumper Pull?

I don't know if the horses will feel any different but if it were me, my guts would be in a knot worrying about a blowout.  I have had 4 blowouts over the 7 years I have owned my tandem wheeled trailer and each time, I just pulled to the side of the road, pulled onto the jiffy jack, changed the tire and went on my way.  I don't even want to imagine what could have happened at 65 mph on the interstate if the trailer only had a single axle.
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-06-07 7:10 PM (#26194 - in reply to #26157)

Expert

Rookie, take everyones advice and listen when I say:

"A single axle horse trailer isn't worth the money."

There are tons of trailers with two axles in your price range...tell us what ya want and people on this board will help you out.  We take pride in making trailering safe and fun for both you and the horse!

Don't monkey around with unsafe trailers...in this Texas heat a horse can die in a trailer broken down on the side of the road.  Safety is your most important factor in picking a trailer.

OldRookie
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-06-07 8:44 PM (#26199 - in reply to #26157)

Thanks very much for your frank responses.  I am looking for a usable 2 horse trailer in the $1000 $1200 price range.  I keep answering adds to find them already sold.  The single axle I mentioned here has an asking price of $850 and it's available so I had to give it a look.

I have been looking for a month or so and every time I answer an ad the trailer is already sold.  Even the ones for $1800 or so are already sold.

I will heed everyones frank advice and continue my search.

Thanks again,

Doc

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-06-08 1:17 PM (#26230 - in reply to #26157)

Expert

I was just looking through the bumper pull trailers and saw this one.  Might be something to look at.

http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/home/trailerdetail.asp?ID=54543

OldRookie
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-06-08 1:36 PM (#26233 - in reply to #26157)

Thanks for the link Teri, but that one is Single axle also.

Well, I had decided NOT to buy the single axle, but now I find myself "waffling" on the idea.

The single axle naysayers in this AND the trailers forum, bring up some excellent points, but the worst of it would be changing a flat.  The pro single axle guys make good points too.

I've had tire failure on single axle and tandem axle trailers and as far as what happened while still traveling at speed, I did not experience anything dangerous.

A VERY good point to think about is having to leave the trailer beside the road in the Texas heat and the health risks for the horse under such conditions.

Here is my personal situation for this case:  I am a MUCH better mechanic than I am a horseman.  If I have GOOD tires on the trailer and a good spare PLUS proper equipment to use for a tire change, I don't think it will be a problem.  I just put a two post lift in my shop and no longer need my heavy floor jack.  I could put it in the tack compartment along with a length of two by twelve to use under it on a soft surface.

The trailer I'm looking at is so cheap that I could buy two brand new tires to up the odds even more.  Also I am very dilligent in watching tire pressures.  Show me a tire cap laying in the road with the truck still there, and it is VERY likely that I can show you someone that let the tire pressure get too low on that tire.

I'm leaning toward this trailer at this point.

Any rebuttals toward my thinking?  I have gotten some good points so far, any further thoughts?

Have a great day,

Doc

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-06-08 4:52 PM (#26241 - in reply to #26233)

Expert

I didn't even notice that it was a single axl.  If you have good tires and follow the MANUFACTURES speed limits it will probally be safe.  We used to have one when I was small and my mom would always complain about having to go slow with that trailer.  I don't know if it was her rule or if it was in the trailer manuel or a misbehaving horse.

Reg. Dec 1899
Posted 2005-06-09 7:51 PM (#26296 - in reply to #26157)

A horse in a single axel trailer is like a horse on a teeter-totter: the axel is a fulcrom upon which the trailer is balanced, and even slight shifts forward or backward will tip the front-down/rear-up or vice-versa, which will alternately pull up/push down on the toungue. I had a two-bumper trailer but the axels were very close coupled and I hauled a horse that like to sit on the but-bar, which lifted the tongue and thus my drive-wheels - not a pleasent driving experience. I can't imagine how much worse it would have been with a single axel.

Another point: the same trailer had a brake lock: I was able to remove the wheel and drive it on 3 weheel: couldn't have done that with a single axeled trailer.
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-06-10 4:50 PM (#26355 - in reply to #26157)

Expert

You can try that two ton floor jack on the side of the road...but when that horse(s) had had enough and starts to move around...that two ton floor jack won't mean squat!  (Horses won't hold still no matter how much you want them too...I think of them as 2 year old boys, would you expect them to sit totally motionless while you changed a tire?  The horses WILL move the trailer when they get restless.)

I have hauled many miles and let me just say now, you can always plan ahead but part of that is planning for the flat!

I don't tempt fate...it always finds me.

Edited by huntseat 2005-06-11 12:07 AM
heritage lane farm
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-06-14 3:40 PM (#26559 - in reply to #26157)

Regular

Will the horse feel any difference? Stand on a utility trailer, both single axle and then a tandem. Have someone pull it down the road with your butt firmly planted in center of the trailer. Which one do you like best??? A thousand pounds of horse flesh in a single axle - let's see, it is a windy day, and a semi roars by at 85 mph, or your horse starts to wall climb or sway, or both these situations happen at the same time. I sure would want the stablity of a tandem axle! Margins of safety are important considerations both for you, your horse, and others on the road. For this reason, I do not think they even make single axle horse trailers anymore. Will your insurance company insure you with a single axle???

Just my 2 cents!

Brenda

gabz
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-06-14 5:07 PM (#26566 - in reply to #26157)

Expert

http://tacktrader.com/index.php3
(whoops
- it's the competition...sssshhhh - don't tell DAVE!)

Here's one in Gray, Louisianna (10 hours SE of you)
http://tacktrader.com/show_item.php?tack_id=89955

This one's in Arkansas: (3H, slant, BP)http://tacktrader.com/show_item.php?tack_id=90396

This one's in Oklahoma:
http://tacktrader.com/show_item.php?tack_id=84920

Keep on checking - and remember to ask if the trailer has brakes!!! Your state may require them for any trailer with GVW of 2500 pounds or more - whether you haul that much or not.

verushka
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2005-06-22 11:08 AM (#26924 - in reply to #26157)

Regular

ONE SIMPLE QUESTION, HOW MUCH DO YOU VALUE YOUR HORSE?  I HAD A SINGLE AXLE, GIVEN TO ME BY MY BOSS.  I LET HIM THINK I USED IT BUT GAVE IT AWAY FOR A JUNK HAULING TRAILER AND BOUGHT A BRENDERUP.  KEEP LOOKING IN YOUR PRICE RANGE.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)