'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Single Axle Bumper Pull?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-06-09 7:49 AM
12 replies, 5201 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

OldRookie
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-06-07 10:14 AM (#26156)
Subject: Single Axle Bumper Pull?

I have had a tough time finding a 2 Horse bumper pull trailer and finally found one worth the money.  The only potential problem is that it is a single axle.

I like pulling a single axle trailer, but my question is will the horses feel any difference?

Thanks for your help,

Doc

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
MIfarmbabe
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-06-07 1:36 PM (#26173 - in reply to #26156)
Subject: RE: Single Axle Bumper Pull?

Extreme Veteran

My personal opinion? I would pass on this trailer. A single axle trailer is just not as stable as a double and especially with live cargo moving around. Horses may not feel the difference but you sure will. Not to mention getting a flat tire while hauling horses in a single axle is just big trouble. At least with a double axle and a tire going bad you can better control the trailer and changing it, even with horses on board, will be much easier. I can't believe horse trailers are still around with single axles. Just my $.02!
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-06-07 3:02 PM (#26179 - in reply to #26173)

Expert

Originally written by MIfarmbabe on 2005-06-07 2:36 PM

My personal opinion? I would pass on this trailer. A single axle trailer is just not as stable as a double and especially with live cargo moving around. Horses may not feel the difference but you sure will. Not to mention getting a flat tire while hauling horses in a single axle is just big trouble. At least with a double axle and a tire going bad you can better control the trailer and changing it, even with horses on board, will be much easier. I can't believe horse trailers are still around with single axles. Just my $.02!

i second the above, though ive never pulled one(so take it for what its worth). and if you cant believe theyre still around, i cant believe theyre still making them. never made any sense to me.

www.horsetrailerworld.com/home/trailerdetail.asp?ID=38039

Edited by chadsalt 2005-06-07 4:46 PM
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-06-07 7:03 PM (#26193 - in reply to #26156)

Expert

Single axles are easier to pull and back.  If I had to buy a lawnmower trailer I'd get a single axle.

Single axle horse trailers are dangerous.  You blow a tire and you are stranded.  You must unload the trailer to change the tire.  Meaning you now have to unload on the shoulder of a highway...when I close my eyes I see dead people, hint, hint.  Having two axles and thusly two tires on each side, gives you an out.  You would be able to "limp" your way off the roadway and to the next gas station on your one good tire.

Could this be a sign I've hauled too much?  LOL!

Edited by huntseat 2005-06-07 7:04 PM
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-06-07 9:41 PM (#26203 - in reply to #26193)

Expert

Originally written by huntseat on 2005-06-07 8:03 PM

Single axles are easier to pull and back.  If I had to buy a lawnmower trailer I'd get a single axle.

Single axle horse trailers are dangerous.  You blow a tire and you are stranded.  You must unload the trailer to change the tire.  Meaning you now have to unload on the shoulder of a highway...when I close my eyes I see dead people, hint, hint.  Having two axles and thusly two tires on each side, gives you an out.  You would be able to "limp" your way off the roadway and to the next gas station on your one good tire.

Could this be a sign I've hauled too much?  LOL!

well i wouldnt go that far, you can always drive on the rim w/flashers on to get off the road or somewhere better to change the tire. and maybe, just maybe the horse is acting like a horse and not like an ass, you could get away without unloading.

how about this for a tandem axle attribute,  (i may be so called "under trucked" but im surely "over trailered")  axles rated to 7000, tires to 8600.  loaded im only at 5200 on the axles, (2600 each axle)blow a tire and that will put another 1300 on the other axle.  thats 3900 on one axle..... just over the axle limit and still under on the tires. hows that for saftey?

no, i really dont have anything better to do.

indian joe
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2005-06-07 10:50 PM (#26204 - in reply to #26156)

They aint  bad ,easy to pull thats for sure you see alot of them here at arizona ropings.
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-06-08 7:53 AM (#26209 - in reply to #26204)

Expert

Originally written by indian joe on 2005-06-07 11:50 PM

They aint  bad ,easy to pull thats for sure you see alot of them here at arizona ropings.
interesting.....anyone here pulling one? what makes them "easy to pull"? a 2h is only around 10 foot long, and having only one axle would only move the pivot point forward maybe a foot. like i said ive never pulled one, but i wouldnt think it would make much difference.

Edited by chadsalt 2005-06-08 7:54 AM
OldRookie
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-06-08 1:32 PM (#26232 - in reply to #26156)

Well, I had decided NOT to buy the single axle, but now I find myself "waffling" on the idea.

The single axle naysayers bring up some excellent points, but the worst of it would be changing a flat.  The pro single axle guys make good points too.

I've had tire failure on single axle and tandem axle trailers and as far as what happened while still traveling at speed, I did not experience anything dangerous.

A VERY good point to think about is having to leave the trailer beside the road in the Texas heat and the health risks for the horse under such conditions.

Here is my personal situation for this case:  I am a MUCH better mechanic than I am a horseman.  If I have GOOD tires on the trailer and a good spare PLUS proper equipment to use for a tire change, I don't think it will be a problem.  I just put a two post lift in my shop and no longer need my heavy floor jack.  I could put it in the tack compartment along with a length of two by to use under it on a soft surface.

The trailer I'm looking at is so cheap that I could buy two brand new tires to up the odds even more.  Also I am very dilligent in watching tire pressures.  Show me a tire cap laying in the road with the truck still there, and it is VERY likely that I can show you someone that let the tire pressure get too low on that tire.

I'm leaning toward this trailer at this point.

Any rebuttals toward my thinking?  I have gotten some good points so far, any further thoughts?

Have a great day,

Doc

gemm
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-06-08 2:03 PM (#26234 - in reply to #26156)

Extreme Veteran

I'm not sure about this because I have a gn, but would sway bars (anti-sway bars)help in the case of a blow out? If you go with the single axle, try to be diligent about any and all safety features you can add to your trailer (up your odds for a safe trip). Good luck!
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-06-08 2:19 PM (#26235 - in reply to #26232)

Expert

Originally written by OldRookie on 2005-06-08 2:32 PM

Well, I had decided NOT to buy the single axle, but now I find myself "waffling" on the idea.

The single axle naysayers bring up some excellent points, but the worst of it would be changing a flat.  The pro single axle guys make good points too.

I've had tire failure on single axle and tandem axle trailers and as far as what happened while still traveling at speed, I did not experience anything dangerous.

A VERY good point to think about is having to leave the trailer beside the road in the Texas heat and the health risks for the horse under such conditions.

Here is my personal situation for this case:  I am a MUCH better mechanic than I am a horseman.  If I have GOOD tires on the trailer and a good spare PLUS proper equipment to use for a tire change, I don't think it will be a problem.  I just put a two post lift in my shop and no longer need my heavy floor jack.  I could put it in the tack compartment along with a length of two by to use under it on a soft surface.

The trailer I'm looking at is so cheap that I could buy two brand new tires to up the odds even more.  Also I am very dilligent in watching tire pressures.  Show me a tire cap laying in the road with the truck still there, and it is VERY likely that I can show you someone that let the tire pressure get too low on that tire.

I'm leaning toward this trailer at this point.

Any rebuttals toward my thinking?  I have gotten some good points so far, any further thoughts?

Have a great day,

Doc

nothing wrong with your thinking. if its a good price and what you want jump on it. i wouldnt let the single axle bother me one way or another. youre right about tires, they dont just blow for no reason. take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. i cant remember ever having an actual blowout, always replaced tires that were questionable. picked up a few nails over the years, but i caught them all before the tire leaked down more than a few pounds. check that equipment.
indian joe
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2005-06-08 7:33 PM (#26246 - in reply to #26156)

What brand is it?? CM or WW? if its either of the two it should have 10 ply tires on them. they both are pretty good trailers
laxpatrick
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2005-06-09 7:41 AM (#26259 - in reply to #26156)

Veteran

Consider this scenario. You lose a wheel. With two axles, you're going to be able to limp along and you and the horses are in one piece because the other axle was able to manage the load. With a single axle, things could get quite scary.

Speaking from having dealt with this experience, I'm a fan of double axles.

Just a thought.

LAXPatrick
OldRookie
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-06-09 7:49 AM (#26260 - in reply to #26156)

Indian Joe,

I don't know what brand it is.  I gave it a superficial lookover and I will go look much harder this afternoon.  I have several things that I will check on it.  It has been repainted so there's no MFG Logo on it anywhere.  I will be looking for a MFG Plate this afternoon.

chadsalt,

You're right about checking your equipment.  That goes for anything, even your tack.  About fifteen years ago, when my son was small, I got on a horse that he had saddled and bridled.  I checked the cinch, but didn't check the bridle very closely.  As it turned out, the chin strap wasn't buckled and she spit the bit.  I learned this, of course, after picking myself off the ground and chasing her down.  It pays to check all kinds of equipment.

Have a great day,

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)