'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Break away Brakes

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-06-06 7:22 AM
5 replies, 3786 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Jbsny
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2005-06-05 8:50 AM (#26089)
Subject: Break away Brakes

Extreme Veteran

A friend of mine has the option for these but said her dealer said not to hook them up as they were more dangerous to have than not have.

The same person serviced one of my trailers and told me I needed to have a new battery for the break aways and it was advisable to have them working.

This guy isn't in it to make money but now I dont' know which way is the best way.  I just had my Trailet serviced at another place and the guy suggested strongly to have the box replaced and set up properly.  I did, because I guess I would rather have the trailer brake itself if separated, but then if they locked up, would that make the trailer flip?

Now I am not sure I made the correct decision, except that if I ever sold the trailer, it would have the feature intact.

Jbsny

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-06-05 10:00 AM (#26092 - in reply to #26089)
Subject: RE: Break away Brakes

Expert

well,  state law requirements aside........and this being just my opinion(which is of course worthless)...... i will say,  any one who does not have a functioning break away system (on a horse trailer) is an irresponsible ass.  same goes for saftey chains.

$@!& happens and if the trailer gets loose from the truck it needs to be stopped as quickly as possible. i doubt that it would cause the trailer to flip over any more than it will when it runs throught the ditch as it free wheels for a mile down the road.

saftey first.

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-06-05 5:22 PM (#26097 - in reply to #26092)

Expert

What Chad said.

If you want to worry about a trailer flipping over after it has left the truck just think about the tongue digging in - say "end-O".

Breakaway brakes should NEVER be needed, but they really should be there and working - same with safety chains. OK, so you're doubly backed up in case the coupler lets go...
Also make damned sure your coupler is in good shape and WILL NOT let go.

Sorry you've been given bad advice.
Jbsny
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2005-06-05 5:38 PM (#26098 - in reply to #26089)

Extreme Veteran

Thanks for your opinions...

I have been using the break away feature since it was repaired when I got this trailer (it was set up but the box/connections were obvious in need of work).  I do find it interesting that the guy who did my friends' trailer said NO but that was 5 years ago (I called and asked her when she got her trailer). He may have changed his mind since then.

Jbsny

chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-06-05 6:16 PM (#26099 - in reply to #26098)

Expert

Originally written by Jbsny on 2005-06-05 6:38 PM

I do find it interesting that the guy who did my friends' trailer said NO but that was 5 years ago (I called and asked her when she got her trailer). He may have changed his mind since then.

Jbsny

he may have got his butt chewed for handing out ignorant advice.

barry
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-06-06 7:22 AM (#26110 - in reply to #26089)

Veteran

Personal experience. Had a boat trailer that came off the truck. Watched it freewheel down a city street - in and out of a ditch - then start to slow down and move back into a ditch. Thought all was going to be well when the tongue went into a driveway drain culvert. Trailer stopped - boat did not.

We are a society that wants to be protected from everything. Bad things will happen when you lose a horse trailer at 70 mph. Not much good can happen. It is probably better to have some feature that slows/stops the projectile. It may or may not save your trailer but it might also keep it from crossing a median and killing someone else.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)