'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Seek input on camp stoves?

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-06-25 5:24 PM
47 replies, 10951 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

olehossgal
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2005-06-04 10:35 AM (#26069)
Subject: Seek input on camp stoves?

Regular

I am a usual lurker, but would like to ask for input/opinions/suggestions on what would be the simplest, least expensive, yet workable way to cook for myself in a camping situation? I am just getting back to doing some trail riding after a couple of years of not riding(though, at 63, I have ridden since age 2). I am female, and by myself(widowed). A couple of the clubs I belong to have occasion overnighters of a night or two(about all I can manage, as I have to hire someone to come and take care of the others when I'm gone, and I live on a very limited survivor annuity). On these occasions, everyone is responsible for their own meals(I have been on, and plan to go again this year, an organized ride in the mountains of southern NM-it's a great ride, and the meals are part of it!!)-but am going to need to be able to do for myself on these "local" club events. I put a cot in the horse area of my horse trailer(an "old-fashioned", 5' wide, 14' BP stock combo-which suits my needs, and is paid for!)-no LQ, no PU camper, not even a PU cap. So-I need something simple to at least heat up canned stuff, or ??? Am trying to make up a list of what I REALLY need to take on these occasions, and would appreciate any input there, also.(There WILL be portapotties and potable water provided.) My mare is very good about tying to the trailer; that's what I've done on the other rides, and she was great with it. I pretty well know what to take for her, and on the trail, but have no experience in fixing food for myself-and would like to be able to have something REASONABLY tasty, without being too complicated!

Any and all serious input will be greatly appreciated!

Best to all,

Margo(aka "olehossgal"-which I am!)

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-06-04 12:43 PM (#26074 - in reply to #26069)
Subject: RE: Seek input on camp stoves?

Expert

I have a small propane grill and a camp stove.  I use the campstove to cook stuff that requires a pot/pan and the grill to cook everything else.  They are small and can be packed pretty easy.  When I used my stock trailer, I had tarps to cover the sides for privacy.

Where is the ride in NM? 

olehossgal
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2005-06-04 4:50 PM (#26078 - in reply to #26069)

Regular

The ride is from White Oaks to Lincoln, in the Lincoln Nat'l. Forest. Not too far from Ruidoso.

Question: where does one buy the things you mentioned?

My stock/combo has solid sides up about 5', then narrow(@6-8")opening, into which I have inserted smoked plexiglas, so I have a good privacy factor.

Thanks for the input,

Margo

martyg
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-06-04 7:35 PM (#26084 - in reply to #26069)

Veteran

I would suggest one of the propane coleman 2 burner stoves if you are talking about cooking in camp. I have always used the coleman gas stoves, but due to the hazards of using white gas, would suggest you stick to the propane models. If you watch yard sales or ebay you can pick these up for just a few dollars. Once you have the stove, the cheapest way to operate it would be to convert it to a regular grill propane tank, the small disposable propane bottles are more expensive. The downside is the weight and transporting the larger tank. I would think sticking to the small disposable bottles would be best for you, check the prices on them. Sams Club (Walmart) has some good prices on them I think they sometimes sell them in packs of 6. Happy camping. Marty.
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-06-04 9:33 PM (#26085 - in reply to #26078)

Expert

You can check e-bay, but watch out for the shipping costs.  Sometimes its cheaper to buy new.  I got mine at Walmart.  Your trailer sounds similar to mine.  How did you attatch the pelxi glass? 
olehossgal
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2005-06-05 10:49 AM (#26093 - in reply to #26069)

Regular

Thanks for the tips-I am heading for the "big city" tomorrow,will check out both Walmart and Sam's-I frequent both!

Terri, my trailer is a CM. I ordered it from a longtime local dealer and acquaintance, and I *think*the solid sides, and little steel channels above and below the open space at the top, which accomodate the plexiglas, were an option I chose(don't recall for sure, as I have had it for @ 12 years or so!)I do remember that I got the plexiglas and had it cut to fit, locally(well,down in Albuquerque), instead of from the trailer dealer-'twas cheaper that way.

Nice flashy Appy, BTW-I am a "Paint" person, myself, but appreciate that flashy color,(on a good horse, of course!) no matter what the breed/pattern!

Anyone with any other suggestions? Keep 'em coming, if so!

Again, thanks!

Margo

gemm
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-06-05 8:57 PM (#26103 - in reply to #26069)

Extreme Veteran

I camp alone a lot too, and the Coleman 2 burner stove works really well. Once you can get hot water, your options expand greatly in the food category - cocoa, tea, instant coffee, soups, mac-n-cheese, instant oatmeal, etc. Nothing gourmet, but we're there to ride, right? The Coleman stoves are pretty simple to use, and they're so common, you'll have no problem finding someone to help you out if you need it. This year I went "fancy" and got an instant hot water maker, also by Coleman. Check my review of it on this site. It is expensive though, compared to the stove. Good luck, sounds like you've got some fun times ahead!
inIndiana
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-06-06 2:39 AM (#26108 - in reply to #26069)

Veteran

I have used  a 2 burner coleman stove for years.Worth the money.  I even found an oven made by coleman that fits on top of the stove that allows you to bake things. Wal-Mart and K-Mart and even some Target stores carry lots of these items.  GOOD LUCK!!
RbarL
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-06-06 7:55 AM (#26111 - in reply to #26069)

Regular

We too have been using a coleman 2 burner for ever. We also have a small propane grill. We got a "tree" for the larger bottles and 2 hoses for the stove and grill. The lantern screws onto the top of the "tree". We keep the big bottle in a milk crate to keep it from falling over and to move it easier. We have nice LQ but still cook outside. We don't want those smells in there all the time and it's nice to be outside for the cleanup. I think all my supplies came from WalMart except the little oven. I got it at a junk shop for cheap and gave it a new paint job with some BBQ grill paint. Works like a charm for biscuits and bread (brown & serve rolls). We have friend that cooks great biscuits on his grill and another friend that makes great fried potatoes on the grill. Those foil oven bags are a great time saver on the grill too. Lots of options there.

If you want a more gourmet meal, cook it at home ahead of time, freeze it if you can or just keep in the icechest and then just reheat on the grill. We have done this many times when we go on longer trips. Breaks up the monotony.

Longrider
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2005-06-06 6:35 PM (#26134 - in reply to #26069)

Extreme Veteran

We bought a Coleman Campstove from Sears in 1964 along with a tent and Coleman lantern so we could camp out on weekends before I graduated from college.  Out of the three, guess which one we just retired last year due to buying a new LQ trailer.  It would still go strong today. I converted it from white gas to LP several years ago and also bought the tree like RBart mentioned. We still use the tree with LP lantern to leave on all night to be able to look out and see the horses. We do the same with the propane bottle, in a milk crate. You will definitely be happy should you purchase the Coleman.  Good luck and really hope you enjoy whatever you decide.
packerpete
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2005-06-06 6:55 PM (#26136 - in reply to #26069)

Veteran

I have used a Coleman two burner for a number of years, but discovered a new way to use it... I just returned from a Backcountry Horsemen trailwork project where the camp cook used an old Coleman  two-burner with a HUGE wok and did a great big stir-fry and it was good...fed twenty people too.

I have gone on pack trips with folks where one person is responsible for say one dinner and one breakfast for the group.  This was for a party of three or four people. The packer will pack in the stove and kitchen supplies (ice chest) then the riders take turns cooking their meal, usually someone other than the cook helps with the cleanup. This may not be related to your OP, but just an idea for another way to do it...

RbarL
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-06-07 12:38 PM (#26165 - in reply to #26069)

Regular

Pete - We haven't packed in but we want to!

We do the community dinner thing on our long trips. One camp cooks the main course and others bring complimentary things. We do Chili and they bring crackers, cornbread, cheese, etc. It works well and we enjoy it. Dutch Oven chili is good stuff. I don't have room for a wok but I do carry a big no-stick skillet for frying things. We have to put the back of the stove down to use it. It's great for fried potatoes with onions. OOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH I am making myself hungry!

There are some great suggestions on here.

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-06-07 1:22 PM (#26171 - in reply to #26093)

Expert

My trailer doesn't have the rails for the plexi glass.  Where the gap is the metal is rolled.  I need to find tracks to add.

**Nice flashy Appy, BTW-I am a "Paint" person, myself, but appreciate that flashy color,(on a good horse, of course!) no matter what the breed/pattern!**

Thanks. He is very dirty in that picture.  The white gets much brighter.  He is bred to my app. mare so I'm hoping for a really colorfull baby.  I left him in TX with a friend who is training him to rope and cut.  He's doing really well and will start competing sometime in July.  I actually prefer paints, but I'm a sucker for a skinny animal an he wasn't in the best of shape when I got him.  And since I had an app stud, I had to have an app mare......  Isn't that how it always works?

Edited by Terri 2005-06-07 1:26 PM
packerpete
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2005-06-07 1:41 PM (#26174 - in reply to #26069)

Veteran

okay so I found pictures of the big wokin stir fry. This camp was setup at the trailhead, so we didn't pack in the kitchen this time. But it does give you an idea of what can be done on a two burner.
martyg
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-06-07 9:32 PM (#26202 - in reply to #26174)

Veteran

Try this out on your stove for up to 1 dozen hungry folks. Take a large covered stock pot. Cut up 1 head of cabbage, several small potatoes, some celery if you like that, a couple handfulls of small carrots. Put the potatoes in the bottom and stack everything else in, on top cut up a smoked sausage link, enough for everyone a serving, lay that on top with about 1/2 stick of marjarine. Put in just about 1/4 cup of water and put the lid on and cook down for about 1-2 hours. Salt and pepper to taste. Folks who dont think they like cooked cabbage will be in line for seconds (our kids). You can cut up all these ingredients before hand and store in 1 gallon ziplocs, prep can then be done in just a few minutes. If you have the time, bake a loaf of hot bread in the dutch oven while its cookin down. In the other dutch oven, make a pinapple upside down cake, these are really easy in a dutch oven. If you have some ice cream for toppers you will be the hero for the day. Dont forget a gallon pot of coffee to wash it down. Marty.
gabz
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-06-08 10:24 AM (#26219 - in reply to #26093)

Expert

I have a coleman propane camp stove. It was about $25 at a discount department store. It has 2 burners, so I need to use pots and pans (and coffee pot). The GRILLS are more expensive but you can cook meat directly on them.

I have seen this year, combo camp stoves; 1 side is a grill, the other side is a burner.

If you don't mind eating food from pans and pots, the 2-burner stove should suit you. I use the small propane canisters, but I also bought the conversion hose and coupler so that I can connect to a large tank (like you use for barbecue grills) - for long stays in one place.

The easiest way to transport the larger tanks is in a milk crate. Get the sturdy ones from a 7-11 type of store. Then you can tie down the milk crate to keep the tank from sliding around in your pickup.

Some foods I have found are convenient are the packages of noodles - you add milk and butter & water. I also toss in some veggies and cut up chicken.  You can precook some chicken breasts and then freeze them to take with you. The chicken can be used as sandwich meat, added to noodles or rice (I buy the Zataran's boxed spicy rice mixes too), or warmed up and eaten plain.

Hard boiled eggs!! marvelous food for camping. Cupcakes with no frosting - or, cut a hole in them and squirt a little frosting inside.

Tortillas. shredded cheese, chopped tomatoes and onions, salsa. Warm up a tortilla in a pan, sprinkle some cheese, meat, and onions on it, when they are warm, add some tomatoes and eat!

Tuna in a bag. Precooked bacon.

RbarL
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-06-08 11:32 AM (#26222 - in reply to #26069)

Regular

Gabz- We eat the same trail food.

I hope this thread keeps going for while. Great ideas. Love the wok idea. My stove is the newer one. It is thinner and easier to put in the undermanger storage. I have an old one that could still be converted but just didn't need to after hubby came home with the new one several years ago.

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-06-08 1:04 PM (#26227 - in reply to #26069)

Expert

I just went to the store and started looking at the campstoves.  I bought a coleman "party grill".  It has a rack to be used as a stove (for pots and pans) and a grill piece that lays over the rack. 
gabz
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-06-09 11:16 AM (#26264 - in reply to #26227)

Expert

Say Terri?  does that party grill use propane or charcoal?

I'll have to find the one I saw and post a pic of it.

olehossgal
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2005-06-09 11:50 AM (#26267 - in reply to #26069)

Regular

Wow! This thread really "took off"--and I'm tickled pink at all the excellent info and input--if you have more, keep it coming!

I looked in the camping dep't. at Walmart in town; saw a 2 burner Coleman that looked like it might be just what I need-will likely go buy one next time I'm in town-price was reasonable. I also had started a list of what occurred to me to take to fix-the tuna in a bag was there, and you all have given me lots more good ideas! I also thought it might be a good idea to try to freeze some ice in blocks, as well as taking some "regular" cubes.(This is going to be only a couple of nights-about as long as I am likely to be able to get away for -except for the ride I mentioned before, which is three nights of camping.)I rummaged through my late father's old fishing box, and found a very servicable metal percolator, as well as a couple of other things I think I can use(I don't drink coffee anymore, but that hot H20 will make good tea(and all the other stuff mentioned!)

Now, what would you all suggest for lighting?

Thanks again, everyone!

Margo

gabz
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-06-09 12:02 PM (#26268 - in reply to #26267)

Expert

Olehosssgal...

I have 2 different "lights" that I use. One is a very small "mag-lite"... I bought one that has a magnetic clip to it and I stick it to the steel wall right by my exit/entrance door.

I also have a Coleman flourescent camp light - it runs on a couple of "D" batteries. $15 at CostCo...   It is a VERY bright light - but necessary in case of needing to doctor the horse or yourself.

But - I gotta tell you that what is THE BEST lighting for camping ... if it's okay to have open fires that is, are those bamboo tiki torches. They hold a small can of fuel - buy the citronella - bug repellant stuff - and they burn all night long. Makes it easy to check on your horse, repels the bugs, and provides soft light AWAY from you...  2 tiki torches are nice touches to a campsite - per person/horse. Use a small trowel or shovel to start the hole to push the torch into.

My other - wouldn't be without item - is a coleman shower bag. About $15... It holds 5 gallons of water and the hose has a sprinkler on the end that also serves as the on/off. I put about 3 gallons in it, lay it on the hood of the truck during the day, then add 1 gallon or so of cool water. I stand at the back of my trailer, tarp or poncho hung up between the doors (I have 2 rear doors) (stretchy clothes line, lead line, etc.) and I hang the shower bag just inside the trailer (high enough to get some pressure) and I have a small bucket too. Stand outside and get washed before going to bed.  I bet you could make one of those with a strong clamp, short length of hose and water jug.

I like to pack a double-boiler... first of all - they stack nicely in my camp box and give me 2 pots; but also, because I can cook something in the bottom and reheat something else in the top pot, and only use 1 burner. (Soup in the bottom, bread/rolls in the top

gemm
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-06-09 1:16 PM (#26271 - in reply to #26069)

Extreme Veteran

Lighting, that's a big one! I have various flashlights, but most importantly, I have a lantern that has a "remote". I check the horses before bed, put the remote next to my bed, and any time I want to recheck the horses during the night I just click the outdoor lantern on. I truly love this invention! I try not to use too much light when camping because (IMO) bright lights all night long diminish my outdoor experience. In fact, on one of the organized rides I go on each year, they specify "not" to have all-night lighting....Makes the stargazing better, too!
jakey1
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2005-06-09 2:41 PM (#26279 - in reply to #26069)

Extreme Veteran

gemm, you seem to have all the bells and whistles.  I saw an advertisement for that remote operated lantern.  Do you like it alot?  What type batteries does it take and how long do they last?

olehossgal, check out the thread about the hot water heaters.  Boy, that's really a luxury that will be hard to live without now that I've tried it.

hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-06-09 3:23 PM (#26286 - in reply to #26267)

Expert

Lighting ... A propane lantern.  I really like the electronic igniting type.  Even in the dark, I can get the thing lighted by touch alone.  I used to think the igniters were a frill but for a lantern, they're great.

The propane bottle lasts a long time, and if I need light for a long time (like all night) I use the hose to attach it to the bulk tank.

They also throw off a bit of heat.  Nice side benefit in the winter time.

packerpete
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2005-06-09 5:37 PM (#26292 - in reply to #26286)

Veteran

For Propane lanterns some friends of mine use the bulk proane tanks with a "distribution tree" rather than an extension hose. It seems to work pretty well to keep the light stable and mounted relatively high. It works well for camping close to the vehicles, but the weight and bulk of the unit does limit its portablility.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)