'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Shawnee Camping

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-07-05 3:34 PM
16 replies, 5499 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

smoothride
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2005-06-03 7:52 PM (#26057)
Subject: Shawnee Camping

Regular

Can anyone tell me about the campgrounds at Shawnee? 

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
truckin_cowboy_63
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2005-06-05 9:21 AM (#26091 - in reply to #26057)
Subject: RE: Shawnee Camping

baycreek is probly my favorite although lusk creek 34 & double m has pretty riding too none of the trails are marked so ya want to have a gps or hook up with some1 that rides that particular campground alot

smoothride
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2005-06-06 10:07 AM (#26116 - in reply to #26091)

Regular

Truckin Cowboy,
Thank you for your reply. We have heard good things about Lusk Creek 34. We may try it in July. They say you can ride there that time of year and it not be too hot. Do you know anything about the campground?
truckin_cowboy_63
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2005-06-06 5:19 PM (#26132 - in reply to #26057)

i am not to sure about lusk creek we have friends that ride their all the time, 34 ranch has changed hands since the last time we"ve rode there & heard the new owner made lots of improvements bay creek has just changed hands to in the last month or so but the last time we rode at them they were clean & well kept as far as it not being hot in july up here good luck usually in the 90"s by july

cowgirln
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2005-06-09 8:21 PM (#26301 - in reply to #26057)

Hi!  We have enjoyed the trails at Bear Branch.  It is a nice campground with a restaurant and stalls for your horses.  I like it real well compared to High Knob.  Pretty rough riding there.  I haven't been to Lusk Creek but planning on going soon. 

rockyrider
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2005-06-10 1:30 AM (#26306 - in reply to #26057)

Extreme Veteran

Smoothride,

A place that we just can't say enough about, is only a couple hrs from Shawnee is called Golden Hills. If you haven't been there yet check them out. Great people, great camping,wonderful trails,excellant food, lots of eve activites, clinics, cattle drives, team penning,roping,fun shows.

http://www.goldenhills.com/

truckin_cowboy_63
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2005-06-10 7:25 AM (#26307 - in reply to #26057)

rockyrider we try to hit every campground in shawnee at least a coupl times every fall would like to here more about this golden hills thanx
rockyrider
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2005-06-11 1:28 AM (#26367 - in reply to #26057)

Extreme Veteran

Did you have a chance to ck out their website yet? Lotsa info there. We started going there in 1993 and love it. They have the most beautiful camp ground you'll find, with very nice stalls.Also have several turn out pens and round pens for your use. Inground pool, fitness room, old western town, are a few of the xtras you'll find there, you can even get a massage. There is a lady there that does excellant graphics for your truck & trailer also. (Rockin "T" Graphics).They are located near Raymondville, Mo. The town of Houston is only 15 mins away, where they have several major gas stations for refueling, a Walmart for those forgotten items, and God forbid,  a Hospital.

I like to say you'll arive there as guest but leave as freinds.

We were there for the ride May 28 thru Jun 4, and there was a Rodeo in the next town north  Licking, Mo. 

Edited by rockyrider 2005-06-11 1:30 AM
truckin_cowboy_63
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2005-06-11 8:00 AM (#26372 - in reply to #26057)

thanx for the info we have rode quite a bit at cctr so it sounds like it isnt far from there

smoothride
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2005-06-13 9:01 PM (#26523 - in reply to #26306)

Regular

Rockyrider,

How far is it from Shawnee to Golden Hills?

Thanks,

Sherry

rockyrider
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2005-06-14 1:34 AM (#26527 - in reply to #26057)

Extreme Veteran

I've never driven one to the other before, so I checked map quest (good luck right) and they route you up north for a 300 mile trip. I believe the southern route to be shorter. Probablly a 4 to 5 hr trip????

Maybe someone else has better info!

Where are you in Tenn? I think from Memphis area it's about 5 hrs to Golden Hills.

I was just at Golden the last weekend of May thru 1st weekend of June, and it was great. They have opened up some new trails that we didn't even get to check out. Of course no trip there is complete without a ride to and into "Ride In Cave" ( one of several caves)

Edited by rockyrider 2005-06-14 1:38 AM
smoothride
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2005-06-14 5:14 PM (#26568 - in reply to #26057)

Regular

I am 1.5 hrs east of Nashville.

Sherry

horsin around
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2005-06-28 6:19 PM (#27315 - in reply to #26116)

Extreme Veteran

I was at the Circle B campground in June and found it to be hot.  It was in the mid 90's and humid and we actually had one horse get overheated.  We ended up trying to be in the saddle by 7-7:30 to beat the  heat.  Before it was over all, of us white legged cowgirls/boy were in our shorts.  We did have pens at each campsite and you provided your own food.

I went to Bay Creek in October and really enjoyed riding in that area.  I thought the area was prettier than around Circle B.  They provided breakfast and supper.  At breakfast they set out goodies for you to pack yourself a sack lunch to go.  They also provided a guide.  They have limited stalls and corrals.  You could picket your at your campsite.  Shawnee is well worth going to see, I plan to go again someday.  

rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-06-30 6:54 AM (#27395 - in reply to #26057)

The following is a copy of an email I received from Brenda Kail (trail rider and responsible horse/mule person) and I pass it on for everyone's information:

Are you aware of the problems going in In Illinois, in the Shawnee Forest?  They have been in a battle over trying to shut down trails for a few years now, and it has really heated up. 

I asked the President, Linda Granneman, of Shawnee Trail Conservancy, if she had any help from the Illinois horse council, and she said no, not really.  My next question to her had anyone contacted the AHC.  And she said not that she knew.

So I am taking it upon myself to do just that.  This is a potentially serious situation.  What happens in Illinois will affect every state, and frankly, I don't think we can afford to lose any horse trails, in any state.  You know that the enviromentalist are very determined and very organized, and money is rarely an issue.  This makes it very difficult for individuals to fight. And the STC, is very active in this fight, but it is an on going struggle.  They need help, and I think the AHC, should be involved.

Linda Granneman @  http://webmaila.netzero.net/webmail/26?To=monet2@shawneelink.com&count=1120131956 can fill you in on all the details. And I would appreciated it if you would see that someone contacts her, to see how you can become actively involved.

Thank you for you help

Brenda Kail
County Representative of the Tn Horse Council

jmbadavis
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2005-06-30 2:50 PM (#27432 - in reply to #26057)

My family and I along with another couple were in Shawnee last week.  I have to say we did enjoy the riding.  The scenery, rock formation and general trail riding was very great.  The camp site we stayed at did not impress us at all.  We drove around to look at some of the other camp grounds in the area and for what you pay for a night, we decided to drive to Missouri to find a camp site with riding.  We live in SE MN and have nice riding here and the parks are clean.  We have traveled out west and found camp grounds and parks to be very clean there.  I was surprised at the amount littering found in the park on the trail and at camp grounds.  Also for such a large park we were surprised by having to ride some of the private land to get to the park trails.  We were told how alot of the private land owners are not allowing trail riding on their land because of the littering problem.  We are glad that we experienced Shawnee but will probably never go back. 

appy4me
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2005-07-02 9:09 AM (#27518 - in reply to #26057)

Veteran

I am sorry that your Shawnee experience was less than great.  We were there the first week of June, and the only dissapointment we had was the HOT weather!!  Our campground (Little Lusk) was extremely clean, friendly, and comfortable.  We rode to secret/lost canyon and trails surrounding. We rode all day Monday, Tuesday, and only a few hours Wed. and Thurs.  I did not see one single piece of litter along any trail!  I believe you encountered litter, and that's sad, but honestly Shawnee IS beautiful and something that people from Illinois are very proud of! 

I don't think litter is the only reason private land owners want to keep us out (although it wouldn't help).  It boils down to money.  Many land owners want to charge the campgrounds money to use their lands now.  It is extremely sad that there are radical people out there trying to close the forest.  They don't even want you there on foot, let alone your horse.  If these wacko's succeed, it will open doors for many other precious riding areas and state land that we love to ride on.  I would hope you re-consider your decision not to return to Shawnee, it is a wonderful place to visit and ride.

Diane

Issie
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2005-07-05 3:34 PM (#27624 - in reply to #27432)

Regular

I am very surprised to hear about all the littering that you saw in the Shawnee.  I have ridden in the Shawnee now for three years and have seen very little littering, and when we do  see it we stop and pick it up, which is not often.  As for the campground, I don't know what campground you stayed at, but we stay at Little Lusk and it is very clean.

It is unfortunate that we have to ride across private land in the Shawnee, but that is a larger issue.  The government bought a great deal of land in southern Illinois, to create the Shawnee Forest, but they could not get it all bought.  The land owners have in the past let us ride across them, but now things are getting messy, and beleive me, it's not about litter. 

The Shawnee is beautiful, and I hope we can all work together to keep the trails open, so generations to come will enjoy riding through this great wonder of nature

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)