'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Coleman Hot Water On Demand

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-06-09 1:00 PM
7 replies, 4091 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

gemm
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-06-03 1:45 PM (#26048)
Subject: Coleman Hot Water On Demand

Extreme Veteran

I wanted to tell you about my new Coleman instant hot water gizmo. I camped with it a couple of weeks ago and was really happy I bought it! It was easy to use and made my camping experience much "cushier" than in the past. I used it to fill my hot water bottle to warm my bed at night, for warm wash cloths, and for hot drinks. My only problem was that the dial has an "on" setting, then cool, warm, hot. I assumed the "on" part meant that's where the gas pilot lit, so I kept holding it there with the pump running cold water through. Finally I used it in the dark and discovered that the gas lit w/o pausing at the "on" spot. I could go straight to the warm or hot settings. In the meantime, since I had spent so much time with the pump running, I used up the battery and had to recharge it...not too big of a deal. This is what I get for not trying it at home first.In spite of that minor problem, I'm very happy with it now that I know how to use it properly. I don't have a LQ, but this gets me a step closer to what it must be like to have one.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
jakey1
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2005-06-06 8:28 AM (#26115 - in reply to #26048)
Subject: RE: Coleman Hot Water On Demand

Extreme Veteran

My husband bought me the Hot Water on Demand for Christmas.  I used it for the first time this weekend and it was absolutely terrific.  How nice to take a hot shower after 5 hrs in the saddle!!! 
gemm
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-06-06 11:42 AM (#26121 - in reply to #26048)

Extreme Veteran

After I used up the battery on pumping all that cold water, I chickened out on the showers....Just used my old solar shower. I was too worried I'd run the battery down again and not be able to fill my hot water bottle up at night! How easily we get spoiled. How long do you think you pumped water w/o draining the battery? How was the water pressure?
jakey1
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2005-06-07 7:28 AM (#26151 - in reply to #26048)

Extreme Veteran

I filled the water jug that came with the unit and turned the control nob to hot and got myself all nice and comfortable and wet.  Then I turned it off and soaped up my hair and the rest of me, turned it back on and rinsed, put some conditioner on the mop and then rinsed that off too.  I used up the whole container of water.  Then I refilled and my friend did the same thing.  There seemed to be plenty of charge left.

Did you pre-charge the unit before heading out?

gemm
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-06-08 1:10 PM (#26229 - in reply to #26048)

Extreme Veteran

Jakey1 - I did pre-charge the battery. I didn't use the container that came with the unit. It's a 5 gal container I think, so you got 10 gals of hot water w/o recharging? Pretty respectable! And who knows how much more you could have gotten if your trip had been longer. My trip was 6 days, so the solar shower was insurance against running out of battery "juice". Luckily my trip was sunny! That's the down side of the solar showers.....I bought the hose adapter so I can use the unit in my barn (no hot water there) for bran mashes or maybe a quick bath for the horses....haven't tried it yet. I thought of buying a second rechargeable battery so I could have 2 and not worry about using one up. The problem is how long it takes to recharge them from your car battery - something like 8 hrs according to the manual!
jakey1
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2005-06-09 10:38 AM (#26263 - in reply to #26048)

Extreme Veteran

I don't know how long it would take to recharge from the vehicle battery.  I know you'd have to have the vehicle running while charging.  I'm going to plug the unit in to the house electric this evening to see how long it will take to recharge after this weekend's usage.  I'm also giving some thought to having a deep cycle battery installed on my trailer so I can plug in the water heater and run some lights when camping.  Luckily, my husband can do the work for me.
packerpete
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2005-06-09 11:18 AM (#26265 - in reply to #26048)

Veteran

I thought that I read that the Coleman doesn't work when it is being recharged, but I don't know this for sure. When I researched the Zodi, I found that they make one with a direct hook-up for a 12-volt battery, BUT you needed to purchase the more expensive 12-volt pump as well. I am warming up ( pun intended) to these postive reports from the Coleman users. The spare battery might be a good idea if the price was right.

gemm
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-06-09 1:00 PM (#26270 - in reply to #26048)

Extreme Veteran

When you recharge the battery from the car power outlet, it's "supposed" to have a shut off if the car battery gets low. I'm too chicken to test that one! I recharged the battery for about 3 hrs, then disconnected it, so not a full charge. I have one battery for the trailer (lights, ceiling vent/fan only; no cooking, cooling, heating), but no plug. My decision to not recharge the hot water battery all the way was because I only had one day left of my ride and, again, I'm a chicken. I seem to remember Coleman adapters available for many kinds of connections. Maybe one would work for for you, Packerpete - I'll have to check it out more thoroughly next time I'm at the camping store. One more thing, I decided against the Zodi because you don't have  control over how hot the water gets - it just comes out some degrees(45?) hotter than the base water you use. The Coleman has temp variations you choose.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)