'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
trailer axles

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-06-04 6:51 PM
5 replies, 4615 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Str8
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2005-06-02 11:32 AM (#26006)
Subject: trailer axles

New User

We are looking at a 7 Horse slant (Hart). It has 2 7000# axles under it. A friend of ours with the same trailer had to have his replaced w/ 8000#-he kept blowing tires and tore off the fenders. Any idea if his was a fluke or if 2-7000# axles are not enough for this big of a trailer? Thanks!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
BJB
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-06-02 10:20 PM (#26028 - in reply to #26006)
Subject: RE: trailer axles

I would sure recommend the 8K axles. What you really gain is a better and bigger brake. Most Mfg's price with the 7K to be competitive in price. I would pay the up-charge to get the 8K. Safety in brake power is a must. As for Tires and wheels I would look into upgrading the tires & wheels. The trailer probably has 10 Ply tires.
KelanSasu
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-06-03 9:34 PM (#26059 - in reply to #26006)

First, there are lots of bad trailer tires out there, even some very convincing Chinese imitations of brand-name tires that take some good close looking to detect, even by experienced dealers. Second, there are lots of tires out there that just don’t belong on trailers in the first place, period. Third, there are a lot of tires out there that belong on trailers but only on trailers rated to carry much less weight than they actually are being asked to carry. And fourth, there are a lot of underinflated tires out there, too. You can have the best axles and wheels in the world and still have blowouts because of only one of the above factors.I just checked the specs for Dexter Torflex axles: 8-lug on 6.5” centers on both the 7K and 8K models. HOWEVER... there are stud-diameter options, too. The 7K axles have 1/2” studs with 9/16” or 5/8” optional. The 8K axles have 9/16” studs with 5/8” optional. Maybe a true wheel/hub expert can answer whether your friend’s 7K axles, if they had smaller-than-sensible studs, could have forced the choice of an undersized wheel which in turn could have forced the choice of an undersized tire (total speculation on my part).It would be interesting to know what the wheel specs were on those 7K axles: lug count, center measurement, stud diameter—and what the tire brand/model/specs were, too, especially load rating and tire type (trailer or passenger-car), and how much the tires were inflated.Remember, a tire that blows out on an 7K axle will blow out just as quick on an 8K axle, if the wheel can be mounted on it.All that said, 7K axles on a 7H trailer seems pushing it weight-wise, ‘specially when you run the numbers on paper........BTW (but n/a to blowouts), I think you get about 50% more brake area on a Dexter 8K Torflex than you do on the 7K.KS
equinetrans
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2005-06-04 9:22 AM (#26066 - in reply to #26006)

The more I do the math on your axle ratings, the more concerned I become. I do not know the weight of the trailer, so you'll need to add this on top of the following:7 times weight per horse, bedding, hay, water, and equipment =@ 1200 pounds per horse = 8400 pounds leaving 5600 pounds for trailer@ 1500 pounds per horse = 10,500 pounds leaving 3500 pounds for trailerMy personal experience is that 1500 pounds per horse is closer to reality than 1200 pounds. This would include 1200 pounds for the horse, 10 gallons of water at 80 pounds, one bale of hay at 60 pounds, bedding at 40 pounds, and equipment at 50 pounds (more if you have a heavy Western saddle). This puts you at 1430 pounds, and I believe realistically includes everything that you need to travel with a horse.Please note that you are going to need tires rated to 4,000+ pounds when fully inflated.Also please note that if your trailer is not evenly balanced, more weight will be on one axle than the other.Short answer, go with the 8,000 pound axles, otherwise your safety factor is too close for comfort.Jim Clark-Dawe
Kay
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-06-04 9:29 AM (#26067 - in reply to #26006)

Extreme Veteran

A Hart seven horse trailer, as of this date, has two Dexter 10,000# axles, with 235/75R17.5 LRH 16 ply tires.  The floor length for this trailer is 32'3", including a 5' short wall dressing room.  The empty weight is 9200#.  They will NOT built it with less suspension.  Hart is extemely particular about suspension and frame strength, and probably overbuilds their product due to this.  The result is an exceptionally strong and well built trailer.

Edited by Kay 2005-06-04 9:31 AM
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-06-04 6:51 PM (#26082 - in reply to #26067)

Expert

Originally written by Kay on 2005-06-04 9:29 AM

A Hart seven horse trailer, as of this date, has two Dexter 10,000# axles, with 235/75R17.5 LRH 16 ply tires. The floor length for this trailer is 32'3", including a 5' short wall dressing room. The empty weight is 9200#. They will NOT built it with less suspension. Hart is extemely particular about suspension and frame strength, and probably overbuilds their product due to this. The result is an exceptionally strong and well built trailer.

As Kay has said, Hart is a VERY reputable builder who won't put inadequate axles under their trailers, or include anything else that is not up to the job.

As to how the op found one with 7k axles and has a friend with one with 7k axles that blows tires... better get back to the dealer and get to the bottom of it.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)