'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Fun Show Prep

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-06-27 3:49 PM
20 replies, 4950 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Lynn0202
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-05-31 2:26 PM (#25898)
Subject: Fun Show Prep

Veteran

I wanted to hear some ideas for getting ready for a fun show. Its not anything highly competitive, just something fun for community kids and those who are kids at heart. My horses are used to being trail ridden and give to leg pressure well and are generally soft in the mouth...What are some games or other prep techniques you guys use for these non-critical shows? I don't want ot mess them up with tons of speed training, but still want to have a good time.

Edited by Lynn0202 2005-05-31 2:29 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
marn
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-05-31 7:51 PM (#25910 - in reply to #25898)
Subject: RE: Fun Show Prep

Regular

I'd like to hear about some, too. This is our first year with 4-H. We practice pole bending with the trees in the front yard, but I would like to know how to better prepare my daughter and our trail horse. My husband would also like to see us "play" somewhere else. Our horse is just a farm/trail horse. Is there a fun way to prepare horse and rider?
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-06-01 1:01 AM (#25920 - in reply to #25898)

Expert

What are some of the events you are going to show?

FYI, I'm a die hard show person and speed events are not part of "showing" but more a part of "games" so your question might have thrown a few folks.  I'm not saying a show won't have speed events but a rodeo isn't a horse show...get my drift?

(To all of you who now think I hate speed folks...I too was once addicted to speed.  Stupid, young and fast...now wiser, older and slower.)

Lynn0202
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-06-01 7:53 AM (#25927 - in reply to #25898)

Veteran

I am sorry! I was referring to something more like gymkhana than a real horse show. Normally they have games like polebending and barrel racing but they also have cowboy pickup games, costume games, games testing a rider's balance and leg aids with the "rotten egg" game...I have even seen musical horses attempted. Normally, there are cheap ribbons handed out at the end of the games but nobody really goes for that...they just go for the fun and camaraderie that develops among the horsepeople.
marn
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-06-01 8:22 PM (#25978 - in reply to #25898)

Regular

I was going along with the same type of "show". We're just interested in doing the fun stuff at 4-H. I put barrels in the pasture so he knows what they look like, we get mail from the mail box, but I was wondering how to prepare horse and rider for the games.
robdnorm
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2005-06-03 12:07 PM (#26043 - in reply to #25898)

Extreme Veteran

Being a 4-H agent, I am planning a fun show that includes an egg race where they balance the egg in the spoon and see how long they can balance before dropping the egg.  Other events will be the magazine race where they go to the end of the arena find the exact page number they need in the magazine and bring it back.  The panty hose race is a good team event where the kids can pare up to see how well they can ride beside each other.   The biggest thing I have seen in making sure the horses are comfortable to the arena and having other horses around them.  It might be that you have to take the horse to the show just to see the surroundings the first time without entering the horse and child in the events.  None of these events will require the horse to be speed trained.  I have seen some kids walk their horses the entire time.  The key is that they are getting to interact with other kids and have fun.  The shows are not serious and neither are the games.  This just gives the kids some time to be kids and have fun.
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-06-03 5:12 PM (#26054 - in reply to #25898)

Expert

Please don't have your kids do the pantyhose race. Having small kids riding in VERY close proximity to each other is NOT A GOOD IDEA. Having them tied together even by a weak pair of pantyhose would send me into a coranary...I was a 4-H kid and I know half of them were about two strides away from falling off. Now I'm a 4-H adult and the kids haven't changed much!
robdnorm
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2005-06-06 10:32 AM (#26119 - in reply to #25898)

Extreme Veteran

The kids are not tied together under any circumstance.  I do not even allow them the chance to wrap the hose around the hand.  They are only allowed to hold it in the hand with a normal grip like you would see on a bat or club.  When doing this race, the kids are not allowed to go faster than a slow canter.  Most of the kids will just trot around the end barrell.  Helmets are also required in these events as well.  Like I said in my earlier post, we do not make these competitive.  Therefore, having the fastest time is not of an essence with this event. 
RichB
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-06-07 1:35 PM (#26172 - in reply to #25898)

Extreme Veteran

If I was you, I would do lots of trail riding, lots of riding in the open over varied terrain as well as riding in an arena.  When riding in the open, for instance, going down steep hills teaches your horse how to use and get his hind quarters under him.  You can circle around and do roll backs around bushes.  This gives your horse a reason and a focal point to listen to your cues.   Also, take your horse to these events, get them exposed to being around lots of other horses, lots of people and all the distractions.  In general, keep your skills and your horse's skills up to date. Like a good dance partner, learn your horse and let him learn you, so you two can compensate for each other.  
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-06-07 7:23 PM (#26195 - in reply to #25898)

Expert

I would have to say the best advice for you would be to keep your head on straight.  Don't push yourself or your horse beyond your experience level.  I hate seeing people that obviously never ride/practice, go out to a "show" and expect to win.  Yet when it doesn't happen they take it out on the horse/parent/spouse/judge.

I've just started a new client who's 14 with a 3 year old gelding.  It's very hard to go from her "killer" show horse to a "dumb kid" and learning our new expectations...it is very hard for both the girl and parents.

Just keep a level head and be honest with yourself about your goals for the day.  Maybe your focus could be:

calmly waiting with other horses at the out gate

making all events on time

a day with no panic(horse and yourself)

catching your leads X amount of times

no vocaliziations to other horses

not pinning ears at other horses

unloading and loading on cue

standing tied to the trailer calmly

standing calmly inside the trailer upon arrival

Make goals you can accomplish and some that might be just out of your reach!

marn
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-06-07 7:51 PM (#26198 - in reply to #25898)

Regular

I have been trying to get her to ride on trails more often. My husband and I have also told her to enter just one thing this time to see what it's like. My daughter's club is holding practices twice a week for a while. I hope this helps with her having the horse around other horses and working on control. I also want her to get help from her leaders and not me. As a preteen, she has a little attitude and listens much better to others' advice. At home, I told her to pick a fence post and just try to get him to go and stop next to it. We also have an old pair of boots for her to try to take off and put on the post. That helps her work on cues and control. It also gives her a specific goal to work on rather than just riding around for a few minutes. Another thing we told her is that not to expect too much from our "old farm" horse. Some of the kids have show horses that ride a lot. We told her to just have fun and not worry about winning all boue ribbons.
barry
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-06-08 7:11 AM (#26207 - in reply to #25920)

Veteran

Originally written by huntseat on 2005-06-01 1:01 AM

FYI, I'm a die hard show person and speed events are not part of "showing" but more a part of "games" so your question might have thrown a few folks.  I'm not saying a show won't have speed events but a rodeo isn't a horse show...get my drift?

(To all of you who now think I hate speed folks...I too was once addicted to speed.  Stupid, young and fast...now wiser, older and slower.)

Funny, if a diehard show person participated in both the World Quarter or World Paint Horse show they might have to wait between their W/E pleasure and Horsemanship/Equitation class to watch a barrel race, calf roping, or ranch horse work. I doubt those show participants consider themselves "stupid."

Erin_CBT
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2005-06-22 4:58 PM (#26944 - in reply to #25898)

First, I agree with barry, speed events are as much a part of showing as pleasure, showmanship, and HUS. I have shown at the AQHYA World and the speed, cow, and reining classes draw just as big of a crowd.

Second, I was also in 4-H and here aresome of the games we did in "fun" shows:

Diaper race: One person stands at end of the pen on foot, next person rides down on horse, dismounts and ties cloth "diaper" on first person, two lead horse back to starting end.

Food Relay: Ride horse down to far end, eat something, say four crackers, mount, ride back.

Ride a buck: ride bareback pleasure class with paper "buck" under leg, last person to drop paper wins.

Just some ideas!

efaubert1
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-06-22 5:24 PM (#26946 - in reply to #25920)

Elite Veteran

Originally written by huntseat on 2005-06-01 2:01 AM

As an AQHA member that has been to a number of "World" shows, and the proud pappa of a top ten pole bender out of a class of 135 at "Congress" I take exception to your comment. If you participate at Congress do yourself a favor and walk back and forth from the Pepsi arena to the one across the way behind the excellent sweet rolls. I have yet to see a day where more folks attended HUS, W/P, or a versatility class than were watching barrels or poles. I must say the versatility class is a hoot to watch when they pole bend...I see more horses bucking there than at the rodeos we attend. Everybody has something that floats their boat, but watching WP is like watching a mud fence dry for me. And it's totally political. In speed events the horse and rider can be ugly, fat, pretty or skinny. But the clock, not a judge with pre-disposed ideas, determines the winner. 

Erin_CBT
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2005-06-23 1:31 PM (#26975 - in reply to #25898)

Kudos to you efaubert1! I totally agree! and congrats on the top ten!
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-06-23 6:22 PM (#26991 - in reply to #25898)

Expert

Here goes my evil grinning streak...

I agree that watching pleasure is like watching water on the boil.  I wish we could paint sparkles on our horses hooves and ride around in orange tack.  The thing I love about watching speed events is seeing people work their horses under total control at such top speeds. 

What I hate to see is kids being hauled off in an Ambulance after running head first into the closed gate.  I also hate to hear about really young girls breaking their pelvis because their speed event horse flipped over on them while waiting for their run.  I haven't mentioned adults getting hurt because adults should know exactly what kind of horse they've got under them.  Not that they've asked for it by any means.

I wonder how some parents can put their small child on a living breathing "rocket."  My parents always put my safety first and I will do the same for mine no matter what events they choose.  I have been honored to meet some of the finest speed horses of their day(Martha Josey)and they were all perfectly well mannered, which all horses should be.  But sitting in the stands and watching little girls ride a horse down the alley on it's back two legs just scares the crap outta me.  I spend the whole run praying the horse will stop if there is a closed gate.

I'm sure all of the horses I'm speaking of are all poorly trained and ill mannered.  They just seem to plague that specific niche.  I just came back from the Tulsa national barrel horse event.

Congrats to your top ten placer at Congress, did you go to World?

Edited by huntseat 2005-06-23 6:24 PM
efaubert1
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-06-23 9:10 PM (#27006 - in reply to #25898)

Elite Veteran

This year is a whirlwind. My daughter turned 18 on the 2nd of May and graduated June 4th, so horses have taken a back seat until the last week or so.

I can name a dozen people that put their kids on crazy horses in our district. Then again I could name a dozen more that would as soon put a bullet in it's noggin if it acted the way you speak of. I had, note the HAD, one that was a terror on two legs going in. She was defeated shortly after the fact was discovered and now resides far away, and calmly enters a gate. I have never, and would never put my child in danger with an idiot that didn't somewhat behave on purpose. Dancing, prancing and spinning don't bother me, but it better damn well never come up in the front end or it is done living in my barn.

And by the way, it seems that when pleasure folks get a horse they can't train, or handle they tend to say this "This horse would probably only be good for barrels", so it's folks like you that send us the crazy ones.(JUST KIDDING!!!!)

huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-06-24 12:33 AM (#27017 - in reply to #25898)

Expert

Are you kidding the crazy ones make the best jumpers!  I think of jumpers as speed event horses that have the right idea...why run around something when you can fly over it at top speed?

Bless you for knowing speed and sanity can be found in the same animal.

marn
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-06-24 9:03 AM (#27030 - in reply to #25898)

Regular

This is my daughter's first year in horse 4-H. She doesn't ride a whole lot, yet. Her club is holding practices so the kids and horses can be arouond each other. This has helped both horse and rider. Also her leader is very cautious. She doesn't want anyone getting hurt, either. Last year a horse reared and came down on top of the girl at halter due to the chain under the chin. As far as pole bending and barrels, I told my daughter if she wants to try them, go for it. He turns well and has good brakes. But I also told her to do it at a trot or even walk if that's all she wants to. She'll get a blue ribbon just for getting the pattern correct. I don't want her trying to go speedy quick and possibly hurt, just completing the pattern. My husband and I are letting her decided what she wants to do the day of the show. For the fun games, we'll see what happens. She's not real comfy on bareback. She does do a good job of getting off and on, so maybe soem of those games would be good. Being this is both horse and rider's first year, we're taking it slow and easy. It should be all about the FUN of a show. I think practice and time with the horse both on the ground and in the saddle are the best prep.
hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-06-24 11:58 AM (#27044 - in reply to #25898)

Expert

Please be aware that speed events can sometimes make a normally quiet horse get "hot".  Not all horses or riders are suited for the speed events.  If you thin you don't have the expertise or sensible type of horses to do any speed events, consider teaching them trail events.  There are clinics, books and tapes available to help you learn how and it is very fun to do.  You really have to communicate well with your horse and plan every move you are going to make.  It may look like watching grass grow to someone who does not understand the event but it is very interesting to those who do.
Lynn0202
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-06-27 3:49 PM (#27236 - in reply to #25898)

Veteran

Just thought I would let you guys know that I went to my first "fun show" on Saturday and had a ball!!! My mare handled like a champ though she had never been to a show before. Kudos to whoever came up with this idea, I just wish there were more around!!

P.S. Didn't win any ribbons but beat my b/f in one event!!! ;-)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)