'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Back country trailers

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-05-31 9:09 AM
2 replies, 3364 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-05-31 12:37 AM (#25860)
Subject: Back country trailers

Expert

I don't rodeo or hang out at fairgrounds. I use my horses in the mountains. Elk/Deer hunting, pack trips into remote wilderness lakes, evening rides at the local mountains, etc. In other words, hauling my horses from my house to remote trail heads. Just how big a trailer is practical for this type of application? I've had a 3 horse gooseneck (19'6") box and it has worked well for 5 years. Only once have I dragged off and damaged the rear bumper of the trailer. I'm considering a bigger trailer with a weekender package ( 24' box), I have 3 daughters that are coming with me more often now and I want to give them a few more creature comforts than just a mattress in the GN to encourage them to keep coming. But I don't want a trailer that's too big to haul down a mountain road to the trailhead. Anybody with any experience care to comment?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
keliy23
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-05-31 6:30 AM (#25867 - in reply to #25860)
Subject: RE: Back country trailers

I do not have a lot of expeience in this, but we go to mountains of Virginia and North Carolina occasionally with some friends. They have two trailers. A big one with a nice large living quarters, this trailer is used for everywhere. Then they have a smaller one for Cataloochee. It appears that the larger one is to long to travel up and down the narrow windy roads into Cataloochee... The longer trailer also can not get into all the camp sites in Virginia, so they always call ahead and reserve one of the three parking spaces the trailer will fit in. So, my only opinion on this subject is to look into the places you go to camp and the roads you travel, and make sure that whatever you buy can make it into all those small places you squeeze into...

Hope this helps...

lucky
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2005-05-31 9:09 AM (#25879 - in reply to #25860)
Subject: RE: Back country trailers

Regular

Painted Horse - we do the same thing you do and my word of caution is - don't buy a used trailer.  We found on the mountain roads, at least the ones you have to take to get to the trail heads, you need a trailer with lots of clearance.  Not only between the gooseneck and your truck but also ground clearance.  We just sold our 3H trailer that we raised 6 inches in the nose and 4 inches at the axle.  We out grew the trailer otherwise we never would have gotten rid of it.  I can't tell you how many people freaked out because we raised it - even had a 'jumper' person tell me the trailer was unsafe for horses to step up into!  Gee, we ask our horse to jump over fences but we can't ask him to step into a trailer?  I'm sure if you ride in the mountains you ask your horses to cross all sorts of obstacles and stepping up into a trailer is nothing.  We never worried about bottoming out our trailer or crushing the truck bed.  You'll have to figure out from the roads you travel what length you want - don't forget how easy it is to get into a spot that you need to back out of.  If you get a weekender package just watch out for your clearance.  Another option would be to keep the trailer you have and get a little wall tent.  You can stay mighty warm in a wall tent with a little stove.   
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)