'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Bandera - Hill Country State Natural Area

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-06-08 6:45 PM
10 replies, 4261 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

RbarL
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-05-27 10:35 AM (#25744)
Subject: Bandera - Hill Country State Natural Area

Regular

I figured I'd give us a new post for this place. We love it there. Still no hookups unless you rent the house. There were 2 pens at each site we stayed at. No drinking water and no real toilets. We have LQ so we didn't care. We just filled up a 55 gal plastic drum when we needed water. They have it at the Ranger Camp.

We used to go to Bandera all the time before the kids showed up.  (so its been about 10yrs)  The state park has/had a limited number of pens and no hook ups.  Generators had to be off by 10 or 11.  There was a barn in one of the campgrounds but we never used them so I don't know what was charged for them.  There were quite a few trails that were easy to follow, but my favorite wasn't well marked and sometimes I think we were off the trail. 

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-05-27 12:07 PM (#25753 - in reply to #25744)
Subject: RE: Bandera - Hill Country State Natural Area

Expert

We always stayed at the site right infront of the registration building. (Near the rangers house)  There were about 12 pens under some large trees and a water facuet there. I think there were also some port-a-pottys.   I loved riding there but the misquitos could be pretty thick sometimes.  Maybe when the kids are a bit older we can start going back. (and if my app mare can get over her nerves and wanting to kick every strange horse in site!!)
RbarL
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-05-31 7:24 AM (#25871 - in reply to #25744)

Regular

We stay at the camp just up the road from the ranger station. They have 6 sites(I think) Most are pretty shady and the corrals have shade. They have a portapotty and a big water tank on a trailer for horse water. Each site has 2 corrals, fire ring, picnic table and most are pretty level parking. We really like to go there in the spring when it is still yucky up here. We have been in March and April. We went out on a limb and spent New Year's there this year. The weather was awesome.
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-06-01 5:22 PM (#25966 - in reply to #25871)

Expert

They must have changed it since I was there last.  I don't remember any other campsites with corrals.   Just the one with the big barn.  Unless we are thinking of the same one.  The one uphill from the Rangers house in front of the registeration building?  There was a water trough and a faucet and I "think" some porta-pottys.

I just re-red your post and I think it is the same spot.

Edited by Terri 2005-06-01 5:26 PM
Longrider
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2005-06-06 8:47 PM (#26142 - in reply to #25744)

Extreme Veteran

The trails at Bandera are beautiful, but rocky. There is an annual endurance ride each Thanksgiving weekend-the Lone Star Endurance I & II-a 25 and a 50 miler on each day. We have been the last 4 or 5 years in a row and enjoy the trails, rocks, rocks, & rocks.The parking is good if it hasn't rained where they have us park. If wet, you have to be towed out. No hookups. No comparison to what we've been to in Oklahoma at the endurance rides. But it is a great managed ride that we look forward to every year. We also discovered - pads with shoes if you're going to complete within the 12 hour limit and not have lameness! Those of you in the mountains are now laughing, but our sandy-clay soil accustomed horses aren't. LOL

RbarL
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-06-07 12:32 PM (#26162 - in reply to #25744)

Regular

Longrider - I was reading your post and thinking have they really ridden in OK. We think some of those eastern OK trails are way rockier than Bandera. Different kinds of rocks and we certainly aren't endurance riders. We do ride all day but not hard like you do. We keep shoes on our guys so we really don't ever consider how rocky a place is unless it is REALLY bad. There was a place in MO that had big round rocks (softball to soccerball size) all over the place. Very hard on the horses and there was just no way around them. Didn't like that at all.

I really enjoy getting out of the trees and seeing some land. I think that's why I like riding down there so much.

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-06-07 1:09 PM (#26168 - in reply to #26142)

Expert

It is very rocky, but we always went barefoot.  My paint didn't like shoes and my app mare wasn't bothered by the rocks.  Of course we weren't competing, just out for a relaxing weekend ride.
Longrider
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2005-06-07 4:29 PM (#26186 - in reply to #25744)

Extreme Veteran

Rbart: Yes we have competed in SW OK and we have pads on their feet there also.  The Winding Stair Ride was chock full of rocks. But what a beautiful place to ride. Bandera is beautiful also, just no hookups or pavilions for the endurance people. That's what is nice about the OK rides, come in after 6-8 hours in the saddle and have hookups to use instead of running the generator. Works better for the satellite system too, since it only works on AC which means a generator has to be going to use it. You said in a previous post that you had been to Caprock in TX. How recent? I'm wondering if they ever fixed up the horse campground or if it's still like it was last time we rode in '96. We also rode the rails to trails there from South Plains to Quitaque, thru the railroad tunnel, in a thunderstorm with lots of marble sized hail. But we enjoyed it. Don't know why we haven't been back there for another fun ride. Amenities, I suppose.
RbarL
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-06-08 11:36 AM (#26223 - in reply to #25744)

Regular

We went to Caprock last year for a weekend. They had a spigot to fill the horse trough but was only one. They looked like they might have water going to all sites real soon. No electric. I sure wish they would give the horse people the other camp and put in corrals up there.

I hate hearing a lot of generators running at night. At least ours is pretty quiet.

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-06-08 1:08 PM (#26228 - in reply to #26223)

Expert

We camped next to some people that had the quietest generator I've ever heard.  Or not heard.  I didn't even realize that it was running until the lady came over and asked if it was distrubing us because she wanted to leave it on all night.  
Longrider
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2005-06-08 6:45 PM (#26244 - in reply to #25744)

Extreme Veteran

Thanks, Rbart-that answers my questions about Caprock. I'm like you, I wish that the RV campground would become the equestrian campground. I too, don't enjoy the noise of generators at night though ours is quiet also. Just would still rather have electricity available. The security at the campground, however, was the best I can remember anywhere. I woke up everytime they came by to check on us (we were the only occupants that weekend) and it would always be real close to one hour intervals.   And Terri, the generator was probably one of the new Honda EU units. Our endurance club bought one to power the laptops we use for keeping records and figuring points for best conditioned award. We sat right beside the generator, even using the top of it for a table and you could talk in a normal voice and hear each other with absolutely no problems. They're great!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)