'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Hoof Boot recommendation?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-06-09 8:15 PM
12 replies, 4502 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

NCpaintluvr
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-05-21 8:54 AM (#25418)
Subject: Hoof Boot recommendation?

I have a 10 yr. old paint mare who has never been shod and has great feet. I'm taking her to the mountains to ride in a few weeks and everyone I've talked to says she ought to have shoes.

I really don't want to put shoes on her and I'm considering using hoof boots if I find the terrain is too rocky (don't want any stone bruises - ouch!). I'm looking at the Old Macs, the Boa Boots and the Easy Boot. Anyone have any experience with any of these products? Can you offer any advice or recommendations?

Most of them are sold in pairs ~ will I need to boot her all the way around or just on the front?

Thanks for any input you can offer!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-05-21 10:58 AM (#25423 - in reply to #25418)
Subject: RE: Hoof Boot recommendation?

Expert

Call your farrier.  If your mare has been barefoot for 10 years and has never had problems I'd leave her that way.  If she doesn't know how to handle shoes then riding in the mountains isn't the place to teach her.

Easy boots, but practice with them so it's not new to her.

LazyDayHorseFarm. TN
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2005-05-21 4:35 PM (#25429 - in reply to #25418)

Regular

I like my Boa Boots. I have a horse with contracted heels and weak ouchy feet. He stumbles a fair amount without the boots, but when he has them on, he's a different horse. I have tried shoes several times, but his foot will not hold one. He is on supplements and all that stuff and the only thing that seems to work are boots. Anyway, I like Boa boots for the fact that they will fit evenly and snuggly. I DON'T like the Easy Boots, because they put a indentation on the hoof wall where you buckle them. Boa Boots have a gathering system where you turn a dial and they somewhat conform to the horse's foot. You do need to buy the right size though. I think your horse will be fine they way he is unless he is not used to rocky terrain. I had a Paso Fino that never had worn shoes and we rode in endurance competitions barefoot with no problem. I think the best thing to do would be bring a pair with you just in case and if you end up not needing them, return them or just resale them. You'll have no problem finding a buyer on ebay. Well, good luck to you and have a great time.
sunnyarizona
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2005-05-23 5:58 PM (#25536 - in reply to #25418)

Regular

I recommend Old Macs. If you are going in rocky terrain you will need some kind of protection for her feet. You can always carry them and if she starts to get ouchy and stumble then you can put them on. Wouldn't you feel awful if you had nothing at all? Use them at home first to get her used to them, which really takes no time at all. My mare likes her boots. I only use them on the front. Easy boots are NOT for long distance use. Compare the structure of an easy boot to the structure and the padding of an Old Mac and you will see what I mean. Just because your mare has not needed shoes before does not mean that she won't need them where you are going. Have a great trip!
walkin
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2005-05-23 7:31 PM (#25545 - in reply to #25418)

Elite Veteran

Easy Boots.
gemm
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-05-23 9:47 PM (#25547 - in reply to #25418)

Extreme Veteran

I've never tried the Boas, but between the Easy Boots and the Old Macs I like the Old Macs. I use them only on rocky terrain that my horse isn't used to. Get the pastern protectors so you don't get any rubs, have them fit by your shoer and practice a bit at home and you will do fine. Have fun on your trip!
NCpaintluvr
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-05-24 9:01 AM (#25561 - in reply to #25418)

Thanks for the replies! I'm going to have to order the boots from a catalog because I don't think any of the local tack shops carry them...  I need to call Stateline Tack at the Petsmart ~ they might have them in stock. It might help to actually look at them before purchasing....

I will definitely do as suggested and purchase them (soon!), try them out here at home so she can get familiar with them and then carry them along on the trip. I guess I'm still not clear on whether she needs them on all four feet. If I'm concerned about stone bruises, shouldn't she wear them all around?

I'm really excited about the trip ~ I'm picking up my new trailer tomorrow, so this will be the maiden (overnight) voyage!! 

gemm
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-05-25 12:30 PM (#25659 - in reply to #25418)

Extreme Veteran

Sounds like a fun trip! I just got back from my first trip of the year and it was wonderful. About the boots for all four hooves - I only use/need them for the front hooves, but a friend of mine needs them for all four on her Paso. It might be how much weight the Pasos carry on their back feet. It always looks like they're more "under" themselves to my admittedly uneducated eye. What's the ratio for non-gaited horses? Something like 70% of the weight is on the front? If so, you can probably get away with front boots only if the ground isn't terribly rocky. Good luck and let us know how everything goes.
NCpaintluvr
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-05-25 4:22 PM (#25671 - in reply to #25659)

I only have one horse and have never had a problem with her feet ~ so I have to ask those who are more experienced....  Have you ever heard of a horse getting a stone bruise on a rear foot?
MIfarmbabe
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-05-25 5:32 PM (#25674 - in reply to #25418)

Extreme Veteran

EQUUS magazine has an article in this month's magazine on hoof boots. You might want to check it  out. Compares all the above mentioned boots with pros and cons.
NCpaintluvr
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-05-25 5:38 PM (#25675 - in reply to #25674)

GREAT!! Thanks so much for letting me know ~ I just got my copy in the mail yesterday and haven't had a chance to look through it yet. I will definitely look for the article tonight. What great timing...  :-)

Thanks!

Reg. Dec 1899
Posted 2005-06-06 1:19 PM (#26126 - in reply to #25418)

I use both Old Macs and Boa's.

Both have the same material for tread. Both are great for going over rocks, boulders, through streams and mud.
Both have studs you can buy for winter riding too.

Boa's are a quick way to fasten up but they can be a little difficult to pull on a hoof that has flared.
Old Mac's do take longer to secure and are a little bulkier. However...Old Mac's are user friendly for people with arthritis and such.

I use Boa's on her back and Old Mac's on the front.
I sometimes have pain in my hands so Old Mac's work better for me.
cowgirln
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2005-06-09 8:15 PM (#26299 - in reply to #25561)

Hi! My husband loves the Boa boots with the gator ankle pads.  He doesnt like to shoe his horse either.  You can go through water, rocks, etc. and they stay on really good.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)