'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Generator: Type and Size

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-05-21 8:47 AM
3 replies, 3607 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

LNorris
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-05-20 9:17 PM (#25396)
Subject: Generator: Type and Size

New User

I know nothing about generators and need to get one for the a/c and maybe a small appliance or two in our horse trailer.  Are there problems with used ones? What type or kind and size do I need? I need something affordable and something that is not going to require much of me because I have NO knowledge of how they work. HELP!!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gbl
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-05-20 9:57 PM (#25398 - in reply to #25396)
Subject: RE: Generator: Type and Size

You need to find out how many watts your air conditioner and microwave require.  You don't need to find a generator to power both simultaneously, but it does need to be able to run each seperately with ease.

If it's a small air conditioner with a small microwave, say 1000 watts each, you can get by with a 2000 watt generator.  If they're bigger (and typically they are) you're going to need a 3000 watt generator.

If you undersize the generator it will fry the air conditioner or microwave.

Good luck!

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-05-21 7:51 AM (#25415 - in reply to #25396)

Expert

Originally written by LNorris on 2005-05-20 9:17 PM

I know nothing about generators and need to get one for the a/c and maybe a small appliance or two in our horse trailer. Are there problems with used ones? What type or kind and size do I need? I need something affordable and something that is not going to require much of me because I have NO knowledge of how they work. HELP!!

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

There are a lot of threads in the forum on just this subject, my impression is that "It depends", but you could search for those threads and digest them.

What it depends on:

Size of air conditioner, starting current is the issue.
What other small appliances...
Family "maturity" with things electrical. By this I mean can you REALLY depend on everyone to not run more than x things at once ? OK, so the a/c and fridge will cycle whenever they need to, but would you be able to enforce rules about coffee pots, hair dryers, whatever else ?
I think 4500 watts continuous is what those that have them seem to agree is "needed" in an LQ trailer.

There is an issue of sound level, you might be able to sleep through it but can the folk in the next trailer ?

Used ? I'd guess most small engine repair places would have the skills and tools to service/repair the engine side at least. Since many such places also sell generators you could probably also get the electrical side serviced. Who fixes YOUR lawn mower ? (-:

Webasto has an interesting (BIG truck) air conditioner that they're pushing as a solution to the anti truck idling laws. They claim "new technology", though it is probably just a phase change way of storing energy. The point is that it charges while you drive and cools when you're stopped. It could be a solution for those who can't sleep within a mile of a generator's noise. I'll post a pointer later under another topic.

Edited by Reg 2005-05-21 8:25 AM
rodeodad
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-05-21 8:47 AM (#25417 - in reply to #25396)

Brands-Honda or Yamaha 2000 or 3000 series for portable. They are 2000 or 3000 watts continious with surge of 3600 watts for motor startup on the 3000i models.  Both are quite at around 52 to 54 debicels. Built- in Onan Micro 4000 or Gentrac 4000. If you find a used one of another brand make sure it is powered by a Honda engine, personal experience haveing worked construction and using gasoline engine powered small equipment says the Honda engines are easy starters and dependable.  

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)