'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Brake Controller

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-05-20 1:22 PM
4 replies, 3335 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

katkins
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2005-05-20 10:59 AM (#25350)
Subject: Brake Controller

New User

Hello, I need help just hooked up a brake controller to my expedition. Everything works fine except my interior lights for my horse trailer. Am I supposed to run another wire to the battery and the trailer Pin? If so how do I do this  Thanks for the help

Kelly

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gabz
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-05-20 12:13 PM (#25360 - in reply to #25350)
Subject: RE: Brake Controller

Expert

The brake controller has NOTHING to do with lights on the trailer. It is simply the piece of equipment that tells your TRAILER brakes when to go on and off and allows you to adjust how strongly and quickly the trailer brakes are applied when you apply the brakes in the tow vehicle. The brake controller can also be used to apply trailer brakes separately from the tow vehicles brakes in an emergency - but again, it has NO bearing on any of the lights on the trailer itself.

So far as your interior lights. For all Ford Vehicles - you MUST have the ignition key turned on for the trailer interior lights to work.  Or have someone rig a "by-pass" (there are other threads about that on the forums).

If the key is on, and you still don't have interior trailer lights, then yes, your connector plug might need something wired differently.

efaubert1
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-05-20 1:00 PM (#25364 - in reply to #25350)

Elite Veteran

Ok, lets start from the top as if this was new to you. 1) Do you have a 4 way flat connector, large 7 pin round connector, or 1/2" diameter 6 pin round connector? 2) If you only have a 4 way flat connector on your expedition you are out of luck and the brake control is useless, and there is no way to run a power wire. 3) If you have a 7 pin round, factory installed connector on the back of the expy it will already have the wire for power to you dress lights. Here is the rub. There are two ways to wire a seven pin connector and here is a simple test to determine if yours is wired different from the trailer itself. First your trailer brakes will be activated at all times. Second, have someone get in the dressing room, while you have the vehicle running, and hit the brakes and hold them. If the lights come on you need to switch the black and blue wires. Heres a diagram for you. http://www.marksrv.com/wiring.htm
katkins
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2005-05-20 1:08 PM (#25366 - in reply to #25364)

New User

I have a 1/2in 6pin connector. Do you have to run the black 12v to the car battery?
efaubert1
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-05-20 1:22 PM (#25368 - in reply to #25350)

Elite Veteran

Here is the diagram for a six pin set up.

http://www.marksrv.com/6way.htm

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)