'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Hauling other peoples horses

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-06-01 5:49 PM
28 replies, 10042 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Hollins2003
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2005-05-19 12:20 PM (#25305)
Subject: Hauling other peoples horses

Hi Everyone!

I need some advice please!  I am going to a show this weekend and there is someone who wants to tag along.  What is your oppinion about hauling other peoples horses?  I by no means what to haul commericaly.  But, I am going and she would like to also.  What do you charge for hauling?  Thanks!!

Jennifer

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-05-19 12:51 PM (#25310 - in reply to #25305)
Subject: RE: Hauling other peoples horses

Expert

If you can accept the potential for damage to your trailer from the guest horse... by all means offer a ride along. 

The "guest" might offer to pay for the fuel used, as you are providing the tow vehicle and trailer for the trip.

Bashful
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-05-19 12:52 PM (#25311 - in reply to #25305)

New User

If you charge your friend then you would be doing it for hire which is commercial. Lets just say the you charge her $1 per mile (just a figure) you have an accident. You are totally responsible for that horse. If you do it as a favor, there is no repercussions... there is always a cival suit but. Have your friend pay for half the gas and your lunch.
barry
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-05-19 1:01 PM (#25312 - in reply to #25305)

Veteran

Can't speak about the actual hauling.  Two experiences I've had with just "guest" horses tied to my trailer. 1) A kid ask if they could tie their horse as their mom had to leave with their trailer to get another horse.  Heard scratching sounds and went around the trailer to find the guest horse using his teeth to write his name on my fender top.  Thankfully the kid was very regretful but unable to do anything with her own mom.   2)  Your horses may not like guest horses.  Then you have biting, kicking, and otherwise unruly horses tied in close proximity.  I saw a trailer owner's own horse get mad and paw "his" own trailer because of a guest tied beside.

To me unless this is a good friend who you really want to help out - or you really need compensated - there is a much greater downside than upside.  Which sometimes I ask myself - what did I ever think the upside was?

huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-05-19 2:07 PM (#25313 - in reply to #25305)

Expert

If they pay for "half the gas" then you can claim you had the best of intentions in court if all hello breaks loose. If you charge outright you are liable. I'd print out a hauling waiver of Liability and go from there.
Ahmac
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-05-19 2:33 PM (#25317 - in reply to #25305)

I usually always buddy with someone or someone buddies with me when I haul somewhere.  We always split gas 50/50 if something is broke because of my horse I offer to pay to fix it if their horse breaks something I hope they do the same.  Also if we blow a tire or something like that I offer to pay half with the hopes they do the same.  We usually are going for several hours one and and more then one day not just a local jackpot.  Just some things to take into concideration....good lucK!
xdublinx
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2005-05-19 2:56 PM (#25319 - in reply to #25305)

I actually put off buying my trailer for awhile out of concern that friends would start asking for favors transporting their horses. I knew I really didn't want to haul other people's horses because of liability concerns and the risk that their horses might do damage to an expensive new investment, but how do you politely decline without risking offense? Since making our purchase, only one person has asked...and several others have intimated they are prepared to ask when the time is right. Oh well! My wife and I have decided in the meantime that we will not haul other people's horses unless it's a medical emergency and their commercial hauler is not available.
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-05-19 3:17 PM (#25321 - in reply to #25305)

Expert

i have a 2 horse trailer because i have 2 horses....sorry no more room.
Bashful
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-05-19 3:29 PM (#25323 - in reply to #25305)

New User

Ohhh you can't use the trailer, the brakes need to be fixed. Ohh sorry you can't use the trailer the lights aren't working.ohh sorry we are using it ourselves that day.ohh sorry wife gets mad at me when I let people use our stuff.ohh sorry hubby gets mad at me when I let peeople use our stuff.Need more excuses? Sooner or later they will get the hint and not ask. Oh and if you do loan it out its a guarentee they will bring it back with scratches, manure, dents, flat tires and not offer you a darn thing!!! Friends who needs ones like that????
KelanSasu
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-05-19 3:45 PM (#25324 - in reply to #25305)

If you need an excuse not to haul someone's horses, you can say, "YOU may not come after me if there's a problem, but your insurance company certainly will, and you have no control over that." Also remind the other person that if his/her horse acts up, he can cause perhiperal/third-party damage that may place you in legal jeopardy, such as if the horse gets loose and runs into the road, or kicks a kid who wanders up behind it, or [...] In such cases, sometimes the way the lawyers go is to sue everyone in sight.Check with your insurance company for coverage options. I did (Allstate). I have a $1M general personal-liability policy with them. I also have automatic coverage via my USEF membership (see http://www.usef.org for details).If you absolutely must haul someone else's horses, see an equine-liability lawyer first and have him/her draft a bulletproof limitation-of-liability/"care and custody" contract, and then make the person whose horse you're hauling fill out and sign that contract before each and every time that horse gets on the trailer. If you have a personal-liability policy, perhaps your insurance company can assist in drafting such a contract.My two (and probably overly-cautious) cents.........KS
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-05-19 3:50 PM (#25325 - in reply to #25305)

Expert

Or, like me you could just point blank tell them...I'm not insured to carry your precious cargo. Sometimes their mouth will open like a drop window. Asking them to sign a waver of liability will stop some of them too. Joking about how bad your car insurance is and how they never pay adn such can be nice to drop in a conversation.
MBRA518
Reg. Sep 2004
Posted 2005-05-19 3:55 PM (#25326 - in reply to #25319)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by xdublinx on 2005-05-19 3:56 PM

I actually put off buying my trailer for awhile out of concern that friends would start asking for favors transporting their horses. I knew I really didn't want to haul other people's horses because of liability concerns and the risk that their horses might do damage to an expensive new investment, but how do you politely decline without risking offense? Since making our purchase, only one person has asked...and several others have intimated they are prepared to ask when the time is right. Oh well! My wife and I have decided in the meantime that we will not haul other people's horses unless it's a medical emergency and their commercial hauler is not available.

My personal favorite (which I had to use yesterday) is "Sorry, I'm not insured for that" It's a pretty cut and dry statement - what are they going to do question you - or ask to see your policy? Works like a charm every time!

RES1
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2005-05-20 6:22 AM (#25342 - in reply to #25305)

Regular

I haul my neighbor's horse for free, her husband gives free access to his goose neck flat bed any time I need it. Good exchange I think!
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-05-20 7:55 AM (#25345 - in reply to #25305)

Expert

I was hauling my own horse to a show and my trainer asked if I could haul one of theirs. I was paid .55 a mile ( the final amount was deducted from my training and board bill)...i was pretty nervous the whole time but we all got to our destination in one piece.

Liabiltiy is a reasonable concern but the odds are pretty good that the horse and trailer will be fine. if the horse is not a happy hauler, then decline. You could consult a lawyer to draw up a liability release especially if you're going o do this often. Its too bad we live in a age that we have to be so cautious just helping someone out.

gabz
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-05-20 12:27 PM (#25361 - in reply to #25345)

Expert

I will share my trailer with good friends and their horses only. When I have hauled horses for high school & 4H, I ended up with a kicked up trailer (the horse didn't like being stopped!!) and NO apology or anything ... and another time - they wanted to haul home before I was ready (WHAT THE ???) during a 4H show.

Do not take money as that will put you in the commercial hire category.

Just say NO. If you start out with NO, then it's easier for others to accept. If you have 1 or 2 good buddies who do things in return for you and you enjoy their company when trail riding or showing - that's another story all together. Usually you know their horses and their horse(s) gets along with your horse.

Just because you have a car doesn't mean you have to transport anyone who asks, right? Same goes for a horse trailer. You made the investment in the tow vehicle and the trailer. You pay insurance, you pay repairs, etc.

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-05-20 6:49 PM (#25394 - in reply to #25313)

Expert

Originally written by huntseat on 2005-05-19 2:07 PM

If they pay for "half the gas" then you can claim you had the best of intentions in court if all hello breaks loose. If you charge outright you are liable. I'd print out a hauling waiver of Liability and go from there.

You could make it quite clear that you don't have commercial insurance and therefore cannot accept "PAYMENT" {with emphasis}.
If they compensate you afterwards for part of your costs, then you havn't performed a service for money or other reward. AFTERWARDS, means when their horse(s) are back off your trailer - on their property, etc.

Nod, wink wink, know what I mean ?
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2005-05-21 4:36 AM (#25407 - in reply to #25305)

Expert

I don't haul anyone elses animals. There are others out there that make their living doing so. In the past I would haul for others to some local shows and they acted as though they had done ME some kind of a big favor, ended up with kicked panals and chewed paint, rope burns to my hands cause the horse did not want to load to go home. If some one has a medical emergency I'll roll night and day to get them to the vet with the understanding that when the horse gets on my trailer he then becomes my horse till he steps off. Sorry but just say "NO". I purchased a truck and trailer way before I bought my first horse, guess I must have gotten the cart before the horse, which ain't a bad thing. I don't borrow from others and I expect the same respect!

rotag
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2005-05-21 7:13 AM (#25410 - in reply to #25305)

Veteran

I haul if going to the same event. I dont acccept money. I will let them buy dinner etc. If the horse acts up tied to the trailer I have them move him to a tree etc.
Summit1
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-05-24 9:53 AM (#25565 - in reply to #25305)

Regarding hauling other peoples horses, I'm the wife of the "1995 Sidekick" posting, my husband busted his butt driving from west coast Canada to east coast US to pick this trailer up, totally worth it, however, he had only been back for a few days, we haven't even used it yet, and were asked by our local Pony Club if they could borrow the trailer AND our truck to haul some horses to a pony club testing.  We don't mind trailering other horses to the same event we're going to, (we won't get paid "for hauling horses", but for "reimbursement of gas" etc.), but if my husband isn't driving it, nobody's using it.  My husband has only had his Chevy Duramax 1 ton dually for a couple of months and they offer to have a guy (who only drives a "bus" style RV) drive his truck and haul our trailer!  I believe it's up to the indivudal as to whether or not to haul other horses, just get paid "for gas" or ??? but not directly for hauling. 

MBRA518
Reg. Sep 2004
Posted 2005-05-24 10:37 AM (#25567 - in reply to #25407)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by retento on 2005-05-21 5:36 AM

I don't haul anyone elses animals. There are others out there that make their living doing so. In the past I would haul for others to some local shows and they acted as though they had done ME some kind of a big favor, ended up with kicked panals and chewed paint, rope burns to my hands cause the horse did not want to load to go home. If some one has a medical emergency I'll roll night and day to get them to the vet with the understanding that when the horse gets on my trailer he then becomes my horse till he steps off. Sorry but just say "NO". I purchased a truck and trailer way before I bought my first horse, guess I must have gotten the cart before the horse, which ain't a bad thing. I don't borrow from others and I expect the same respect!

That's how I feel about it too. I just bought this nice new "life time" trailer and I don't intend to let anyone else wreck it on me. WHen I had the 77 BP I wasn't so protective - but this is a different story. If it's an emergancy then fine - that's different, but why would I drive my gas hog around and buy the new trailer so that they didn't need to pay a pro? I feel for some people, but unless it's life or death - they can hire someone. I think you are more likely to loose a "friend" over a mishap on the trailer than by telling them you can not/will will haul for them.

Summit1... the nerve of some people... I couldn't even imagine asking someone to borrow a rig - not to mention a new one! Some people!

marn
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-05-24 8:49 PM (#25619 - in reply to #25305)

Regular

I am fortunate enough to have a neighbor that hauled my butt around for a year. I offered gas money and when we camped, I paid half of camp fee. I guess we're lucky that nothing has ever happened. I'm just glad I have good friends that offer rides. It is dangerous hauling horses that are not your own. I have had the opportunity to haul her this year now that I have a trailer. With gas prices so high, we often car pool together and sometimes pick up another friend or two. She has a 4 horse, I have a 2. I wouldn't offer to or want to haul for someone I wasn't good friends with. I'm glad my 2 horse is a slant and some horses don't want to go. I can't believe the pony club had the balls to ask you to use your new equipment.
Summit1
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-05-24 10:32 PM (#25629 - in reply to #25619)

IF we haul other horses, they are the horses from the barn where we board, the owner has a 6H trailer, has hauled these horses for quite a few years and they're all good at hauling.  We're in the process of registering, licencing, insurance, etc., as you say only to people and horses we know well.  I guess only time will tell how it works out, we bought the trailer for ourselves only with the understanding that if it is convenient for us and we're willing, then we'll haul the others if needed.  The original posting mentioned about "how much" .... our barn has set prices depending on travel time, distance, etc.  Locally around C$65 but to the interior of BC around C$200.00.  I guess a horse trailer is like anything else, once you have something others don't have, but want, the "can I borrow it" starts pouring in. 
tazassape
Reg. Sep 2004
Posted 2005-05-28 9:03 PM (#25795 - in reply to #25305)

DON'T
nd deb
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2005-05-29 1:02 PM (#25801 - in reply to #25305)

Veteran

how do the trainers do it then?

I ocassionally will haul other horses.  They will many times split the gas but I won't haul one that knowingly would be a problem.  So far have had good luck.  Had one horse thou that was a client of mines that did rip up one of the pads in the stall he was in.  

run&jump
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2005-05-29 5:41 PM (#25805 - in reply to #25305)

There is insurance available for hauling other people's horses.  It is called, I think, care, custody, and control insurance.  That may be what trainers, and a few others, have.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)