'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Prussic Loop over the Knot eliminator

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-06-08 12:23 AM
3 replies, 4597 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-05-18 8:35 PM (#25290)
Subject: Prussic Loop over the Knot eliminator

Expert

Just got back from a week's worth of point to point camping.  Packerpete's Prussic Loop worked better than our partner's store bought Knot Eliminators.

The Prussic Loop allowed horse spacing adjustment after the line was up and tight.  The loops were easy to pack too.  Just hung them from the saddle, no clanking together on the trail.

I learned, there is some sort of relationship between the diameter of the high line and the cord diameter of the Prussic Loop.  Too many turns of the cord I used, and it was hard to slide along the high line.  Solution was to reduce the turns.

Packerpete ... Thanks for the tip...

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
packerpete
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2005-05-23 12:55 PM (#25500 - in reply to #25290)
Subject: RE: Prussic Loop over the Knot eliminator

Veteran

Glad you found it useful Hosspuller!

You did stumble on one of the details of the Prussic Loop. The diameter of the loop "cord" MUST be smaller than the highline "rope"...or else the loop won't bite. I have it in the small print under the prussic loop drawing on the webpage that I set up: http://pkrigerjr.tripod.com/highline.html You need to click on the drawing to get a large enough version to read the details.

I was gone last week taking the Forest Service Master Training course for "Leave No Trace" at the Nine Mile Remount Station outside of Missoula Montana. My mentor during this class was Smoke Elser author of "Packin In on Mules and Horses" and the leader was Bob Hoverson. These guys have plenty of Packing experience...1000 trail miles, 100,000 pounds of gear packed annually!!!

Needless to say, I learned plenty! Those guys don't use the knot eliminator either. And it is one of my goals to share the educational information I have. It sounds like I may have succeeded for you, so thanks for the feedback.

Bandit9
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2005-05-24 9:00 AM (#25560 - in reply to #25500)

I will have to agree. I have aquired everything to make a nice highline like packerpete suggests. I have set it up at home to make sure I had everything before I head out this weekend. The prussic loop is very convenient. Just push up on the loop and move it where you want. No meesing with loosening the rope to move a horse. Plus you can make one in no time. Thanks for the great information packerpete!
packerpete
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2005-06-08 12:23 AM (#26205 - in reply to #25290)

Veteran

You're welcome! For anybody in the Central California area, that wants to get a hands on demo of this setup, I'll be at the Western States Horse Expo this coming weekend June 11-12. Check out the Backcountry Horsemen booth outside in the "Gentle Use" Camp and Trails Symposium. For informarion check out the www.horsexpo.com website.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)