'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Trailer height

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-05-20 9:38 PM
4 replies, 3738 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

montanalupine
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2005-05-17 6:15 PM (#25230)
Subject: Trailer height

I have two young Percheron Geldings.  This is my first experience with draft horses.  They are both around 15 hands right now.  I suspect they will both be around 17 hands when they are done.  Does anyone have any idea how tall of a trailer I should get ?  Do I absolutely need 7 1/2 feet or would 7 feet do? When trailer height is measured is it measured on the inside of the trailer or the outside?  I've always had quarter horses and height has never been an issue for me.  Thanks, Montana Lupine

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
inWA
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2005-05-17 6:24 PM (#25231 - in reply to #25230)
Subject: RE: Trailer height

Veteran

The two horses that we have both are 17 hands, one may go 17'2". The question really is will the horses load easily. Preference for us was straight load and the 7'6" trailer height. Reason more roomy and they seem to like the extra space. If you are going to drive them you might want to consider something like we have. Its a Trail-et Windhadow Eventor, it has a box stall area in front of the two straight loads. So you have a place to put your carriage.
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-05-17 6:41 PM (#25233 - in reply to #25230)

Expert

Hi,
Congrats, and envy (-:
I have 7' 6" height in both trailers and I have hauled 17HH horses in both of them with enough head room. I should add that I'm in the north east and although it does get hot here a few days a year I think if I was in a southern state I would want more air above their heads. Perchies are also nice and big around, so it isn't just head height, they're heavy and put out a lot of heat, which in turn needs a lot of air around them.
You didn't ask, but I'm leading you towards also considering stall width.

I think height is usually measured at the center, at a guess the roof bows down a few inches at the side walls. It seems that heads are at a point where the roof is lower in a slant load than in a straight load, though I havn't measured this.

LifeIsGood
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-05-19 11:14 AM (#25304 - in reply to #25230)

Most warmblood horses with people servants 48 like the straight loads for the room but for the slant load preference Featherlite has a model with 50 inches between dividers, model 9649 and has a standard 48 3/4" short wall in the dress, 7'6" tall and 7'6" wide. Even with the added stall width the 2 horse is 17' on the floor and the 3H is 21' and weights in at only about 4600 lbs.
montanalupine
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2005-05-20 9:38 PM (#25397 - in reply to #25230)

Thanks.  I'm moving to Montana and I don't think heat will be a factor.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)