'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
4H straight load

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-05-17 4:47 PM
4 replies, 3502 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

RichB
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-05-17 1:41 PM (#25219)
Subject: 4H straight load

Extreme Veteran

Hi ya'll,

Taking the wife trailer shopping this weekend , so you know what that means.     

Currently, I have a 3H slant, love the trailer, tows great.

I have just about made up my mind to swap my trailer for a new 4H, straight load by 4Star.  Main reason: It easily converts into 3 box stalls.  This is important to me so that I can haul mares with thier foals and I can give my horses more room when on the road for long distances.  Also, I really like the idea of being able to tend or unload a horse having problems.  

Only drawback, tack has to go up front. So I either get a dressing room/tack room up front or I have to get a side tack to make room for a small weekender package.  Anyone have the later configuration?  I would be interested in hearing the details of your set up and your advice in looking for a straight load. I guess it comes down to my comfort while on the road (large LQ) vs. my horses comfort while on the road (large stalls), cause I don't have the truck to do both (safely) in a 50' trailer.       

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-05-17 2:50 PM (#25222 - in reply to #25219)
Subject: RE: 4H straight load

Expert

Way to go !!!
On the box stalls, the dividers are expensive (and I'm cheep).
I'd try to negotiate the lowest possible price on the trailer and THEN ask if they'll throw box stall dividers in (free) - - a dirty trick I know, but no worse than trying to win against car salespeople.

If you can't get them for rea$onable and you get the 8ft wide trailer another tip is that an 8ft pipe gate is actually just about 92 inches and fits close to perfectly. Even the hinge brackets match up to the chest bar brackets on the side walls. {I already said I'm cheep.}
BTW, I really LIKE their 5 horse head to head, 2 or 3 across in the front where there are no wheel wells.
I've appreciated having side ramps on both sides, YES it is 30 ft on the floor and pulling in isn't always practical, but I can block a driveway and drop a side ramp, either side ramp.
I have a 6ft (on the floor) tack/dr/rough_it_camper area, it seems to work for travelling, though I've never had to sleep in it.
Electric over hydraulic brakes ? - - I would (again).
Air ride - - I probably wouldn't on a new trailer, just dollar:value ratio.

e-mail if you have questions that wouldn't interest others.

RichB
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-05-17 3:32 PM (#25223 - in reply to #25222)

Extreme Veteran

Reg,

Thanks for the advice. I like that tactic.

I didn't know they had a 5 horse, but that makes sense and is something else to consider.   I definitely want the trailer 8' wide. 6' on the floor might work.  Have you seen any with a weekender package?   I like the idea of double side ramps too.

My trailer is 28' on the floor right now and I can get it into some pretty tight areas.      Yours is  a 4h, with a 6' dressing room and floor length is 30'(?), that is not bad at all. I think I would be comfortable going 32' as long as the weight doesn't get out of control. Is yours a 4Star, if so, how do you like it?

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-05-17 3:57 PM (#25225 - in reply to #25223)

Expert

Originally written by RichB on 2005-05-17 3:32 PM

Reg,

Thanks for the advice. I like that tactic.

I didn't know they had a 5 horse, but that makes sense and is something else to consider. I definitely want the trailer 8' wide. 6' on the floor might work. Have you seen any with a weekender package? I like the idea of double side ramps too.

My trailer is 28' on the floor right now and I can get it into some pretty tight areas. Yours is a 4h, with a 6' dressing room and floor length is 30'(?), that is not bad at all. I think I would be comfortable going 32' as long as the weight doesn't get out of control. Is yours a 4Star, if so, how do you like it?

Ab_so_friggin'_lute_ly it is a 4-Star (-:
I like it a lot, though from time to time I've thought I'd like a 6H, but then they move the axles way forwards and you have a worse chance of tail dragging in rough fields and dippy driveways. I really WILL build extra dividers for mine to make the front stalls convertible to 2 or 3, the 4/5 is probably the best compromise - - errr, soon, next project.
Double side ramps allow me to really open it up, a horse coming in the side ramp at least has the illusion that he could walk out the back or the other side if he wanted to, so getting them in is (almost) never a problem, then just back into a front stall and done. Just about any horse will go in the back if they can see others already in and looking back at them.

The other project is cloth/canvas feed trays; if I do it (get them made) right they will be 45 x 30, which is close to what I already have in the Jamco. Turned across 2 x 45 = 90, turned along 3 x 30 = 90, so they'll convert with the stalls.

4-Star is VERY good to deal with on parts, they'll even sell you raw materials for repairs and they have never billed me for probably 20% of what they've sent. I've never had the "contact your nearest authorised dealer" response from them.

RichB
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-05-17 4:47 PM (#25227 - in reply to #25225)

Extreme Veteran

That's good to hear.  I've always liked 4Star, the way they are built and the way they look.   

Thanks for your help. 

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)