'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Featherlite Trailers - the good, bad & the ugly...

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-05-14 8:40 PM
11 replies, 11542 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Green Acres
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2005-05-11 2:36 PM (#24986)
Subject: Featherlite Trailers - the good, bad & the ugly...

Just as the subject says - please give me your opinions.  I just bought a steel '97 Featherlite 4 horse slant load GN and want to know what I should look out for.  It seems to be in good condition, just a little surface rusting inside and the windows, etc need some caulking.  The floor is new - so that should be in good shape.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Ahmac
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-05-11 3:33 PM (#24987 - in reply to #24986)
Subject: RE: Featherlite Trailers - the good, bad & the ugly...

I'v neemn hauling Featherlite horse trailers since 1995 and have NO complaints except the swinging saddle rack in the rear tack...lol Seriously just anual maintance and mine have all been great.  The one I have know I bought in the fall of 97 and its been up and down the road and will continue to go up and down the road.  Good Luck with yours, hope yours is as good as mine have been!
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-05-11 4:42 PM (#24990 - in reply to #24986)

Expert

I have a steel featherlite and the only problem besides a bit of rust is the seal between the fiberglass nose and sheet metal of the roof leaked.  It's really just a maintence thing that the people I bought it from didn't take care of.  Replaced a bit of calk and touched up the rust spots and haven't had any problems.  Pulls great.   There are a few options I wish it had and a few I added, but I got it used.  Any one know where to find a spare tire mount made for wheels with 8 lug nuts?

Edited by Terri 2005-05-11 4:46 PM
Rander
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2005-05-11 7:11 PM (#24999 - in reply to #24990)

Terri:\

Those seams can be difficult to keep wateright because they are between dissimilar materials that react to temperature and motion differently.  You might want to consider using Eternabond Miracle Roof Tape on that seam.  It is primarily used by RV folks and there are a lot of good comments about it on the RV boards. I've included a link below in case you are interested.  I have no connection with the company, financial or familial--I just don't like leaks.

http://www.eternabond.com/leak_repair_products.htm

maeclara
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2005-05-11 7:16 PM (#25000 - in reply to #24986)

got mine froma dealer last year that had been sitting on the lot for 4 years since brand new so still brand new when I got and fetherlite gave me the full warrenty and there is absolutly no problems and I love the trailer as far as the tire the dealer told me they are GM rims great because my chevy and trailer are the same. Enjoy the trailer.
Green Acres
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2005-05-12 8:27 AM (#25013 - in reply to #24986)

Thanks for the replies!  Thank goodness I haven't heard anything that I didn't already know.   Rander - I will look into that tape for the seams. I know it's leaking up in the nose of the trailer some.

Ahmac - it looks like my trailer has the swinging saddle rack that can be taken out of the DR and put in the rear tack compartment.  So I gather you don't like it in the rear? 

Anyway - thanks everyone, I can't wait to use it now!!!

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-05-12 2:25 PM (#25025 - in reply to #24999)

Expert

I was thinking of using either the eternabond or this stuff http://www.tycoadhesives.com/Data/Transient/Docs/Products/Markets/Retail/Waterproofing_Tape_1204.pdf

Then I'll paint over it with a water sealant or something to cover the entire roof.

gemm
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-05-13 12:33 PM (#25064 - in reply to #24986)

Extreme Veteran

I have a '92 Featherlite. We shopped alot before we bought, but there were not nearly so many aluminum trailer manufacturers back then. When I look at the new trailers, I'm tempted by how pretty they are and all the fancy extras they have, but mine is SOLID! I just put some money into extras for my trailer and an acid wash, but it still doesn't need major repairs, just maintenance. I think it was a really good buy and I'm still happy I bought it 13 yrs later! Featherlite was, and still is, a quality manufacturer in my experience.
rodent42
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-05-13 1:13 PM (#25066 - in reply to #24986)

just got ours this year in Feb. (8456 with l/q, four horse) LOVE it. well built. solid. no complaints.  looked at a LOT before we picked featherlite. just kept coming back to them for value and quality.  I thinkyou'll be very happy!
rodent42
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-05-13 1:13 PM (#25067 - in reply to #24986)

just got ours this year in Feb. (8456 with l/q, four horse) LOVE it. well built. solid. no complaints.  looked at a LOT before we picked featherlite. just kept coming back to them for value and quality.  I thinkyou'll be very happy!
NoSpam
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-05-13 10:43 PM (#25089 - in reply to #24986)

Veteran

I have had a FL since 1999 (it was new then).  The problems with it were that the factory interior wiring for lights is screwed up - they have never worked!  And the latches on the doors and windows give me problems.  The door to the tack compartment won't open (I stick my hand through the window and open it from the inside, which DOES work) and the slam latches on the windows don't work very well.  A window occasionally pops open when it's not supposed to.

But the important stuff works well enough on it that I don't sweat the small stuff.

Happy Trails,

Michelle

Steph_735
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2005-05-14 8:40 PM (#25124 - in reply to #24986)

Regular

I have a 2000 featherlite stock/combo. My trailers a really nice trailer still. The floor is the original and still in great shape, there is surface rust, but thats mainly due to not taken reall good care off and being kept out side all year long. Its a great basic trailer. Its holding up great. Even though since i got it used in september, we have put a dent in the front from my sister turning too sharp with it. Then we also bent the jack, but it still works as we are going to replace that. And the trailer came with a broken seam, so all i need to do there is get my uncle to weld it back. But other then that its a great trailer and all the damage was made from people not from anything bad on the trailer. The only thing i hate, is my trailer doesn't  have tie rings on it and never did. And there is only one row of stock vents on it. So in order for me to tie to my trailer i have to climb onto the tire fender to tie because i am too short to reach from the ground.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)