'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
horse hooves in trailer manger

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-05-27 9:39 AM
8 replies, 5713 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

mchavez
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2005-05-09 5:55 PM (#24914)
Subject: horse hooves in trailer manger

I have a horse who gets his hooves up into the manger of my new Sundowner slant load. He does it one leg at a time. He never did it in my Sundowner straight load in which he traveled a lot! My straight load was taller (8' vs. 7'6" in my slant) and may have had a taller manger wall in front of him. Why has this all of a sudden become a problem? Suggestions? Possible modifications to the trailer? Some have suggested hobbles, but I would prefer not to go this route as I have read that it this is dangerous while trailering.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-05-09 6:50 PM (#24915 - in reply to #24914)
Subject: RE: horse hooves in trailer manger

Expert

Sounds like your horse doesn't like the new rig.  Have you tried putting the horse in the first stall, if your first stall doesn't have a manger to see if it's just the slant that's the problem?  Have you watched him do it?  Does he climb in really slowly and carefully or is it like a jump in?  If it's slow he'll quit upon some verbal corrections over a short time frame...

I had one that would snort, bow-up and then slowly paw until her leg was in the manger, then lean back as far as she could until her heels were on the lip and streach then lift the leg and place it on the floor.  She looked like a ballerina with four legs.  Tops my list of freaky trailer stories that doesn't end in the vets office.

I just verbally corrected her and would go open her front door and pat my hand on the manger when she'd start her little routine.  Only tried it when first loaded...another reason horses should be loaded last and then hit the road!

mchavez
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2005-05-09 9:32 PM (#24926 - in reply to #24914)

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who has had such an experience. We suspect that it happens right when we arrive back to his home (stable); just as we pull into the drive away. Perhaps he's too anxious to get out. We've been riding him with the window down and just the bar grate closed so he can see the surroundings. We thought about perhaps closing the window and maybe even blocking the view totally (i.e. cardboard in the window). We've never had the problem going out to an event (but then again it's only been 3 times in the new rig and maybe we're just lucky). I suspect it is a slow process climbing in the manger as the 2nd time it happened only 1 foot was in the manger; not to mention never hearing a large "thud" that I would expect from a rearing up and jumping in. On our next venture we're going to try shortening the tie to his halter and my wife traveling in the trailor to see if we can catch him in action (and correct him). We've though about moving him to the middle stall as this allows less room to go backwards if he is rearing up. The 1st stall may be our last resort as this is currently being used for custom dog crates to haul our dogs (a stud dividing wall was purchased to separate dogs from horses). Very, very frustrated as I thought my horse was the best!
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-05-10 10:42 PM (#24964 - in reply to #24914)

Had one rear so hard with her feet against the manager wall that when the trailer tie broke, she flipped over backwards and landed upside down and half under the divider.  Fortunately, she was ok, not even a scratch.  I traded the trailer 2 days later.  Personally, I would put the horse in the stud stall rather than take a chance.  Good luck.
mchavez
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2005-05-11 9:31 AM (#24974 - in reply to #24914)

I talked to Sundowner (the company directly) and they did seem concerned. They said they are going to talk to Engineering about manger modifications; I'm not holding my breath, but we'll see.

Stay tuned ...
hconley
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-05-24 10:43 PM (#25630 - in reply to #24914)

Extreme Veteran

The wall under the manger prevents the horse from speading his legs forward for balance, and a very common problem for them to wind up in the manger during the ride due to lack of balance.
jhavniear
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-05-27 8:30 AM (#25736 - in reply to #24914)

This may help,  install an extra tie ring on each manger, located at the rear near the horse's chest.  Run tie through rear (new) tie ring 1st, then finish  with the original ring, should keep manger free. 

huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-05-27 8:54 AM (#25738 - in reply to #24914)

Expert

That sounds like the best way to get them to jump in the manger. Please don't tie your horse's head down during transit.
LazyDayHorseFarm. TN
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2005-05-27 9:39 AM (#25740 - in reply to #24914)

Regular

Just out of curiosity, which model Sundowner trailer did you buy and how wide is your trailer? Also, how high are your mangers? I just bought a used two horse slant load Sundowner with the mangers and I'm not so sure I like it because of the space it takes up. (7ft wide & 7ft tall) I have not had a problem yet as far as feet in the manger, but I also just got the trailer and have not really had a chance to use it. I have put the horses in there several times just to see how they would load and unload, but have not traveled with them yet.  I would just like to compare mine with yours. It's difficult for me to even imagine them getting their feet up in the manger because it's quite high, but after reading all the posts it's getting me a little nervous.  
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)