'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Question about a 2" axle block

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-05-13 12:11 PM
13 replies, 5637 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

roanrobey
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-05-08 1:43 PM (#24848)
Subject: Question about a 2" axle block

I am looking at a Keifer Built trailer, it doesnt have enough clearance for my 99 ford dually 4x4. Would a 2" axle block give me enough clearance for the bed? When we backed under it, we had about 6" clearance at the tailgate and nose of the trailer.

It does not have a drop nose, but came factory with a nose that is deep enough for a person to sit up without hitting their head on the roof. It does have a weekend package in it.

Thanks

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gemm
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-05-08 3:55 PM (#24850 - in reply to #24848)
Subject: RE: Question about a 2" axle block

Extreme Veteran

I just had 3" blocks put between the axle and frame of my trailer to make it ride more level. We brought a forklift out to raise the back of the trailer while it was hitched to the truck, so we could actually see how the block size would affect the level. I was surprised at how much it would take to make the trailer travel 100% level....something like 6" or 7"! I decided a compromise was needed. 3" made my trailer "almost" level, while still leaving the step up into the trailer reasonable for the horses. I now have about 8 1/2" clearance between the gooseneck and the tailgate/bed rails. You could probably do with a bit less if you drive VERY carefully over bumps...lots of people do! Best wishes with the new trailer.
gemm
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-05-08 3:59 PM (#24851 - in reply to #24848)

Extreme Veteran

Hi again! I just re-read your post and another thing popped into my tiny-sized pea brain....If your clearance is only 6" when you back under the trailer, you should check into adjusting the coupler too. You might be able to raise it, and in addition to axle blocks, have a very level rig.
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-05-08 5:38 PM (#24853 - in reply to #24848)

Expert

I would definately check the coupler to see if you can correct it that way first.  I had to lower my coupler to make my trailer level.  It also increased the distance a bit between the neck and tailgate.
roanrobey
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-05-08 5:53 PM (#24854 - in reply to #24853)

Thanks for the replies!!

The trailer sat pretty level hooked up, I think raising the coupler as it is now would really make the trailer ride up hill.

It might be better with a 2" or 3" block.

Can anyone tell me about what that would cost???

I havent bought the trailer yet, will likely get the owner to haul it to the trailer shop and let them look at it on their level parking lot and then decide what kind of lift it needs.

gemm
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-05-08 7:42 PM (#24859 - in reply to #24848)

Extreme Veteran

When I had my axles blocked the labor for the welders was $85/hr. I had a bunch of other stuff done, so I don't know how much time was spent on axles only. Ask your dealer for a quote first, so you don't get a very unpleasant surprise with a new trailer. It may make the difference in whether you buy this trailer or wait for another.
roanrobey
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-05-08 8:13 PM (#24862 - in reply to #24859)

Thanks gemm, I will definately ask before I have any work done. First I need to find out if the block will work, then price it and decide if its worth it or not.

Thanks!

BJB
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-05-08 9:27 PM (#24864 - in reply to #24848)

The height of the 4x4 trucks has been a consern for dealers who stock trailers especially when the Ford becomes the vehicle. If known in advance, the dealer should order the the MFG'r to raise the gooseneck tongue accordingly. Then the adjustable coupler will take care of everything.
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-05-09 8:52 AM (#24877 - in reply to #24848)

Expert

Somehow I doubt that 2 inches is going to make THAT much difference to the levelness (a new compound word ?) of your trailer.
Of course it WILL make a 2 inch difference, but I doubt that 2 inches would be useful - err, the angle whose tangent is about 0.00435 in the case of my own 4 horse trailer.
I think I'd try lowering the truck to a less fashionable height. I don't know the 99 Fords at all well, but you might be able to get an earlier year's parts put on to get it down.
Raised trailers = tippy.
High trucks = awkward to lift things into and climb onto.

There is always the platform bed solution... (-:
roanrobey
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-05-09 9:48 AM (#24883 - in reply to #24877)

Thanks for your mathematical theory on levelness....LOL

I hadnt thought about lowering the truck, might be what I need to do

We tried a 4-star this weekend with a LQ, about the same lenght as the Keifer, the 4 star had a drop nose on it and we had good clearance. I did notice that it did squat the truck a bit more and the truck bed was actually level compared to being unloaded.

I found out my husband did not put the full weight of the Keifer on our truck, which IMO, doesnt give us a real idea of how much clearance we really had???

Ive been arguing with him about that. THat if he had lowered it all the way onto the truck, it might have shown more clearance. Thats just what I think anyway from what I saw hooking onto that 4-star with a drop nose.

The 99 fords 4x4 are lower than the dodges, they are taller, whether or not they are 4x4 or not. I have seen one 4x4 newer dodge pull a LQ trailer with a drop nose and they had plenty of clearance....but probably due to the fact it really sqatted the truck level.

Thanks again!!

Originally written by Reg on 2005-05-09 8:52 AM

Somehow I doubt that 2 inches is going to make THAT much difference to the levelness (a new compound word ?) of your trailer.
Of course it WILL make a 2 inch difference, but I doubt that 2 inches would be useful - err, the angle whose tangent is about 0.00435 in the case of my own 4 horse trailer.
I think I'd try lowering the truck to a less fashionable height. I don't know the 99 Fords at all well, but you might be able to get an earlier year's parts put on to get it down.
Raised trailers = tippy.
High trucks = awkward to lift things into and climb onto.

There is always the platform bed solution... (-:

51 51
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-05-09 7:21 PM (#24917 - in reply to #24883)

Expert

Mayhap Hubby didn't want to have to (what verb am I looking for here ?) "raise" the trailer all the way OFF the truck again ? and again for the next one... and again for the next one...

Is trailer shopping with a spouse anything like shopping for clothes - - or SHOES ?
"Let's try THIS one to see how it looks behind our truck."
Do they ALL have to be hooked up ? and FULLY lowered ?

(-:

{No Dear, that trailer doesn't make you look fat.}

roanrobey
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-05-09 8:09 PM (#24919 - in reply to #24917)

You are too funny!!

It was only one trailer we were looking at that night and since the coupler was already down on the ball, he just had to crank it a few more rounds to have the jack on the ground. LOL

BTW...I hate shopping!!

Originally written by Reg on 2005-05-09 7:21 PM

Mayhap Hubby didn't want to have to (what verb am I looking for here ?) "raise" the trailer all the way OFF the truck again ? and again for the next one... and again for the next one... Is trailer shopping with a spouse anything like shopping for clothes - - or SHOES ? "Let's try THIS one to see how it looks behind our truck." Do they ALL have to be hooked up ? and FULLY lowered ? (-: {No Dear, that trailer doesn't make you look fat.}

RTSmith
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-05-10 1:02 PM (#24938 - in reply to #24848)

Elite Veteran

You DEFINITELY need to put all of the tongue weight on the truck to check. With the long leaf springs, the Fords do "squish" a fair amount. Also, the early '99s were very high, and there was a no charge campaign available to lower them 2". While it won't be free now, the parts should be readily available.

RTSmith

Select Trailer

gemm
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-05-13 12:11 PM (#25063 - in reply to #24848)

Extreme Veteran

Yeah, I forgot to mention in my earlier post that I had the truck lowered as well as the blocks put in. Truck got a free Dodge kit that lowered the bed height 3" and didn't void the warranty. The trailer still wasn't level, so that's why I had the axle blocks put in, unfortunately not free. Now it's not absolutely level, but if I raise the trailer any more it'll make the step-up too high for an easy hop for the horses. We have a pony and a couple of "old guys" (pasture ornaments) that the high step-up can't be too high for. I love how much headroom I have in my gooseneck (compared to the newer goosenecks that accommodated the new high trucks), but I wish all those darn new trucks wouldn't be so jacked up!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)