'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
WW trailers - too good to be true?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-05-22 8:13 AM
13 replies, 8473 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

irishhorse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-05-07 9:54 AM (#24820)
Subject: WW trailers - too good to be true?

New User

Hi,

I have large horses (irish draughts) and have become interested in the WW trailers.  I have spoken with 2 dealers and it seems I can get what I want in aluminum within my price range.  I want a gooseneck 3 horse slant 7' wide, 7.6 tall with at least 40" wide slant stalls.  I want stock sides as I am in NC and ventilation is very important.  I want a tack/dressing room that does not have to be super large. 

Any input on the WW's would be appreciated, I have searched the forums here and found some comments on this brand but thought maybe someone might have some new insights.

Thanks

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-05-07 10:06 AM (#24821 - in reply to #24820)
Subject: RE: WW trailers - too good to be true?

Expert

Hi and welcome to the Forum.
Ahhh, Irish Drafts... dreaming again (-:
I know NOTHING about WW, so this is just a bit of generalizing.

As they say, when something appears to be too good to be true, it usually is.

There are some exceptions. New(ish) companies will sometimes shave their margins to gain market entry, i.e. be fiercely competitive on price, features, quality, etc. They may not be losing money, just not making as much as other companies that are more established. Sometimes older companies will do it to revitalise themselves and (re)gain market share.

I guess you really need to look at the trailer and weigh it against the competition for yourself, your horses, your needs, etc. I don't recall anything BAD being said (in this or other forums) about them as a company or their product.

Good luck in your search and research.
irishhorse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-05-07 10:35 AM (#24823 - in reply to #24820)

New User

Thanks for your input.  There is a warranty on the trailers, 6 years on most stuff.  So maybe that would mitigate some problems, but still if I couldn't resell if neccesary that would not be good.

Zane
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2005-05-07 10:59 AM (#24824 - in reply to #24820)

I would like to caution you about going to a 7' wide,slant-load trailer for your size horses.  When you say they are 40" stalls--are they measuring from center-line of divider to center-line of divider on the head wall as most manufacturers do ??  If so, you will probably have about 5" less when measuring the direct width from one divider to the next--in the middle of the stall--especially with padded dividers.  Also--manufacturers often measure stall length--on a slant-load--by measuring from the inside front CORNER of the stall-- to the outside back CORNER !!!  This measurement is usually given as 120 inches !!!  Diagonal measurement !!!  The true measurement--from center of stall on the head wall, to center of stall on the butt wall will be closer to 95 inches !!!  This will NOT be enough length for your horses !!   Look at trailers that people have used with your size horses--the butt-wall paint or pads will be rubbed clean from the horse resting on the butt-wall trying to get head-room!!!  I,ve been there--done that--.  Go to an 8 ft. wide trailer at the very least !!  You can also have the manufacturer make the stalls wider than normal--this will give more diagonal room for your horse.  Hope this help--just ask if you have further questions-- I would go to a straight-load if it were me--your horses will appreciate it !!!,,,,,Zane.
Jbsny
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2005-05-07 1:53 PM (#24826 - in reply to #24824)

Extreme Veteran

one of my first trailers was a 1981 WW two horse BP.  It is still going strong (friend bought it) with little maintenance, had it repainted.  I went to what was termed then "an English style" trailer (boxy) from the little "western style" round in the front and much lower at the ceiling. 

Can you go to a dealer and see a trailer?  Maybe that might help.  The only reason I sold my WW was that I bought bigger horses than it would haul comfortably.

Jbsny

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-05-07 3:38 PM (#24829 - in reply to #24820)

Expert

I used to have a 2 horse bumper pull WW and I never had a problem with it.  Aside from the wasps building nests in the manger!!  I sold it and my horses when my oldest daughter was born and wish I had kept it.  I never had any problems and in an emergency the spare tire for my dodge truck fit it.  I found that out the hard way!!  Two blowouts and one spare.
heritage lane farm
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-05-08 6:36 PM (#24857 - in reply to #24820)

Regular

The post about the length/width needed for your horses is absolutely correct. Tom and Neva Scheve in their book "The Complete Guide To Trailering" address this in great detail. Straight load, 7'6" height minimum, and 74" width is the way to go. Your horses will be happy! I never owned a WW, however, sometime back on this forum, it was commented that the nickname for the WW is "Wobble Wagon" because they did not pull staright and true. Perhaps you can find the post on a search. Just my 2 cents!

Brenda

Jbsny
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2005-05-08 7:40 PM (#24858 - in reply to #24857)

Extreme Veteran

my WW was an early 80s model, 2H BP. It pulled wonderfully. I dont' know about any made past that time. I do see a lot of older WWs that people use here in Ohio, and they have been in their drives for a long time.  Haven't seen many of the new ones, though.
Dawnya
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2005-05-09 8:06 AM (#24874 - in reply to #24820)

Extreme Veteran

I also had a late 70's, early 80's 2H BP and it could haul an elephant!!  It had 45610638769416 miles on it before I sold it for $1k.

I don't know about today's trailers, but we can all say they definately have experience in building great trailers.

Kay
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-05-09 10:04 AM (#24886 - in reply to #24820)

Extreme Veteran

Regardless of the brand of trailer you buy, the manufacturer can build a slant load trailer that will be comfortable for your larger horses.  We often sell slants built for big horses, each one built to the customer's needs.  Zane is absolutely right about the size you are describing being too tight for your horses.  Ask the dealers about adding length to the trailer in the stall area, 4 to 6 inches per stall, and increasing the width and height.  Even a 7'6" wide trailer will be better than a 7'.  The axles/suspension will no doubt need to be upgraded when you make the base trailer larger.
Babygoose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-05-09 1:09 PM (#24899 - in reply to #24820)

My horses hate my 7'6" tall 6'8" wide straight load trailer. My draft cross throws a fit when she even sees it being hooked up. But she hauls fine stuffed into my trainers four horse slant where she is a little tight in the stall. My soulution? I am going to sell the straight load if anybody will ever buy the darn thing. I keep going down in price and for all the hype I hear about getting the taller, wider straight loads, nobody is standing in line to buy mine (sorry, little pity party vent there!). Then I will buy a 7 tall, 7 wide three horse slant and take out one partition giving her two stalls. I realize if you are hauling several horses that can be impractical to have to have two stalls for each horse. The other option I am looking into is a stock with a center gate. Then she can have a whole big stall to herself.
Steph_735
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2005-05-09 9:26 PM (#24924 - in reply to #24820)

Regular

My friend has a old 4 horse slant ww bumper pull trailer, it hauls really well and its held up really well also, it is getting pretty rusty now though and could use a new paint job, but they like it, there horses like it, and it pulls good and has a good sized dressing room too.
Sundown R
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2005-05-10 10:14 AM (#24932 - in reply to #24820)

I sell W W trailers and they pull quite well. In fact, one of my fellow employees pulls one and he swears it feels like its not there. The construction is all aluminum or all steel. There is no mix of the two. The all-aluminum ones have a 2" x 4" Aluminum I-Beam on 8" centers. Thats the same as a Sundowner stock trailer.

Doc has been making trailers for almost 50 years. In fact, he probably trained most of the people who own most of the trailer manufacturing companies in the mid west. If you're in the business as a manufacturer, you've probably worked for ole' Doc. Albeit you can't get alot of changes made to the trailer as far as customizing it, but height & width have just recently been raised with an option to go even taller.

We expect a big year this year and W W is a welcome sight to us.

Sundown R

moparguy
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2005-05-22 8:13 AM (#25442 - in reply to #24820)

We ordered a new "02" WW Brightstar (al trailer) and pulled it a couple of years with no problems. Picked it up in Madil Ok, met the folks at the factory, a trip I'd recommend if you do buy WW. It was a strong built trailer. It wasn't as polished as some of the popular high end trailers, the welds were plenty stong but not cleaned up, etc. If I wanted a strong, heavy duty trailer to pull on bad roads for a lot of miles WW would get my vote.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)