'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Trial-et trailer problems?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-05-11 6:10 PM
6 replies, 4239 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

TWHorsewoman
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2005-05-06 11:27 AM (#24785)
Subject: Trial-et trailer problems?

New User

Hi All-

My husband and I recently bought a 2003 Trail-et New Yorker Spirit.  For the most part, we love the trailer.  It is a 2-horse walk through straight load with ramp and tack/dressing room.  There is a full sized escape door on both sides, which makes for easy loading with a horse that won't self-load.  It's very tall and open, and the horses don't hesitate to walk right in.  The problems we're running into are with the breast/butt bars.  They're extremely hard to negotiate and get hooked into place, especially if the horse is putting any weight at all on them. 

Has anyone had similar problems with the Trail-et trailers?  Any suggestions as to how we might make this easier, or modify the existing breast/butt bars?  We're new to loading and trailering horses, so maybe it will come with time.  But right now, we don't feel too good standing directly behind them fiddling with the butt bar for so long.  And if the breast bar doesn't go in place easily, they have a tendency to want to walk right past you out the escape door (which doesn't work, for obvious reasons). 

Could we be loading improperly?  Any suggestions there?

Thanks for anything anyone can offer!

Erin

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-05-06 11:35 AM (#24787 - in reply to #24785)
Subject: RE: Trial-et trailer problems?

Expert

i suspect most advice will revolve around your horses ground manners. youll need to work with the horses, and possibly a trainer, to get them to start, stop, and stand when and where you tell them. good luck, at least theyre going in.
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-05-06 11:38 AM (#24788 - in reply to #24785)

Expert

You do have loading and unloading problems. YOur horse should stand, not sit on the butt bar. Your horses should self load, if at all possible never enter the trailer with the horse. INstead send them in, and then hook the butt bar and then go mess with their head. Try a method like John Lyons leading and loading.
Jbsny
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2005-05-06 6:47 PM (#24805 - in reply to #24788)

Extreme Veteran

One thing that I have found helping keep horses off the butt bars when I am loading is the leave the access door at the head open if your horses will not try to go out that door... ie the chest bar holds them in. 

Also helps when unloading as the horses tend to want to crane their heads around looking to see where they are.. and they are off the butt bar, too.

Sometimes I forget, and there is that huge QH butt pushing back on the bar, so I go back up to the head, open the door and he is off it!!!

Jbsny

highgatefarm
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-05-06 7:36 PM (#24809 - in reply to #24785)

Regular

I thought the pins were design so you can get the bar loose if there is weight on the bar, for safety?  Are they designed on the Trail-et like the Hawk breast and butt bars?
NCpaintluvr
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-05-07 7:16 PM (#24830 - in reply to #24785)

Hi Erin ~ Pardon me if my reply is insulting or offends you in any way (!) ~ I certainly don't mean to! I was just out looking at the Trail-et New Yorker Spirits on Thursday and also had a hard time putting the pin into the butt bar (with no horse in the trailer!). The guy who was assisting me on the lot showed me the "easy" way to do it... and this is where I don't mean to offend your intelligence because you may already be doing this... but if you're trying to put the pin in by holding the bar close to the pin, it's really hard to slide it in. If you hold the bar on the opposite end, it drops RIGHT in.

Again, I struggled with it with no horse in the trailer ~ once he told me to hold the bar up closer to the wall side, rather than at the center divider where I was sliding the pin it, it was a piece of cake.

If you're already doing it that way, then ignore my response!

inWA
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2005-05-11 6:10 PM (#24997 - in reply to #24785)

Veteran

The easy way I have found is leave the breast bar up, escape door open and teach the horse to walk in. You toss the lead rope over the withers as they pass you by on the ramp. As said they will usually stay at the front and look out the escape door. Move quickly and set up the butt bar. Practice helps and finding the right position to drop the pin in helps. Take the time just send them in and do unloading so that they think it is just a natural thing to do. Make sure that you do stand clear and to the side when unloading. Look at what the horse waiting to unload is doing, some get rather frisky when the buddy is backing off and they can't leave yet. Its practice practice and more practice and a lot of patience on your part.

And do have the trailer hooker to your truck for this practice work. If the the trailer dropped or moved you start a whole new series of problems
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)