'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Insurance on horse trailers?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-05-06 2:11 PM
5 replies, 7306 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

TWHorsewoman
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2005-05-06 11:18 AM (#24784)
Subject: Insurance on horse trailers?

New User

Hi All-

My husband and I are fairly new to horses, and have just entered the world of trailering.  We'd like to know everyone's opinion on getting insurance for our horse trailer.  I understand that your typical auto insurance policy excludes any trailer and any contents on/in it.  So what happens if you back into someone with your trailer?  Does your auto insurance cover the liability, or are you up a creek?  Do most people insure trailers for liability?  Do companies offer insurance coverage for trailers?  We didn't want to ask our agent, because you'll get the ol' "yes, you absolutely need insurance!  That will be $---".  We were hoping to get some objective opinions from people who have experience in the trailer world.  Any insurance agents out there with a comment?  Thanks!

Erin

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-05-06 11:29 AM (#24786 - in reply to #24784)
Subject: RE: Insurance on horse trailers?

Expert

i live in SC and my insurance (USAA) told me i would have basic liability on the trailer itself just by hitching it to the truck. i opted for full coverage on the trailer itself for $80 a year. i have a 2h slant BP w/dress. i dont have enough money in the horses/tack and no LQ to have asked about insuring the contents of the trailer.
Dawnya
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2005-05-06 12:33 PM (#24792 - in reply to #24784)

Extreme Veteran

Correct.  When you're hooked up, you have liability only - like if you backed into someone, it would cover their car and any injuries.
Then you can add comp and collision to protect yourself - to repair any damages to the trailer from an accident or mother nature.

Mine is added to our homeowner/auto Allstate policy and runs about $20 per month with a $500 deductible.

Edited by Dawnya 2005-05-06 12:35 PM
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-05-06 1:19 PM (#24795 - in reply to #24784)

Expert

I'd go ahead and insure a trailer just because its cheap and a good idea since shi* happens.
barry
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-05-06 1:26 PM (#24796 - in reply to #24784)

Veteran

I've experienced a wreck towing my trailer (empty, thank goodness).  I found out that my Farm Bureau insurance did not cover the damage to my trailer.  Any damage caused to others was covered at the same coverage that I had on the tow vehicle.  So if I had full coverage with comp, collison and liablilty that is what I had for the trailer.  Sour grapes, but at the time my agent told me that I sure should have had the extra coverage for $50 a year.

I would recommend that you take photos of your trailer every year for your agent.  Same yr model trailers have a wide range of value depending on condition, etc.  A 10 year old steel trailer which seldom sits in the sun or rain is worth much more to someone that a 3 yr old steel which has "survived" 3 winters.  You want proof of the condition.

maccwall
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2005-05-06 2:11 PM (#24798 - in reply to #24796)

Extreme Veteran

When our trailer was stolen, the comprehensive on the truck covered it. It's listed on the policy as being seperate but it's actually covered under our comprehensive.

Safe Riding,
Todd
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World