'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
slant load vs straight load?

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-05-18 7:27 PM
32 replies, 9583 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

NCpaintluvr
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-05-02 7:06 PM (#24592)
Subject: slant load vs straight load?

Can someone please educate me on the pros and cons of slant load vs straight load trailers?  I'm currently trailer shopping and am seeing a lot more slant loads these days.

Thanks!

Edited by NCpaintluvr 2005-05-02 7:07 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-05-02 7:39 PM (#24595 - in reply to #24592)
Subject: RE: slant load vs straight load?

Expert

Hi ... Welcome to the forum..

My experiance:  When I had a 2H straight load, the horses would scramble and had to have shipping boots or there would be leg nicks and dings.

Same truck, same horses, same driver (me) with a 3H slant load... no scrambling, no shipping boots, no leg nicks and dings.

The dressing area is more useable in the slant load too.

ASJ
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2005-05-02 7:47 PM (#24596 - in reply to #24592)

Veteran

A straight load trailer limits you in so many ways. Straight load has no rear tack, you can't find a 3 horse straight load and if you have a 4 horse straight load it is 10 miles long. A slant load gives you so much more. Usually a larger dressing room, rear tack, more horses in a smaller trailer. If you are hauling only one horse the horse's weight is distributed evenly in the trailer. If you have very large horses ( warm Blood Size) horses, A lot of owners of this type of horse have straight load trailers. It is what they prefer. That is why most of the Straight load trailers are 7'6" tall or taller and the stall length is usually a little longer. The slant load has become the best selling trailers by far, But if you have large Warm Blood horses you may want a larger straight load trailer, although I know a lot of the owners of the big breed have slant load trailers because of options. The horses usually fit in one stall just fine, But a couple of my friends give their larger horses 2 stalls in the trailer so they have more room to move.

Hope this helps and is not to confusing

MIfarmbabe
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-05-02 8:29 PM (#24598 - in reply to #24592)

Extreme Veteran

You can do a "search" for past posts on this topic. It has been beaten to death on this forum. Everyone will have their own opinion over their preference. I don't have anything against either configuration. I own a 3 horse slant. What drew me to them is the extra room you will have with them and I wanted the option of being able to haul 3 horses if need be. Some debate they ride better at a slant over straight and vice versa. Some have sworn their horse rides best backwards at  a slant.

Good luck trailer shopping!

inWA
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2005-05-02 9:00 PM (#24603 - in reply to #24592)

Veteran

If you are hauling BIG HORSES in a slant it does have to set up differently than a regular slant. Two horses and both 17 hands take up all the room in our two horse straight.
NCpaintluvr
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-05-02 10:13 PM (#24612 - in reply to #24592)

Wow ~thanks to all of you for the responses! I appreciate the suggestion to look up the old threads on this topic, I will try to do so. (I tried before I posted, but I couldn't pull up the pages ~ thought they may have been deleted.)

I have been using this site to keep an eye on trailers and to contact dealers ~ it's been incredibly useful. Didn't even realize it had this forum on it until this evening! Thanks again for the info ~ I think I may start looking at more slant loads now too....

Karen

songcatcher
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2005-05-03 2:16 PM (#24653 - in reply to #24592)

i just love my slant. i had a straightload,, and even tho it was extra tall and extra wide, the horse had an issue zooming out of the back door before i could even get it unlatched. it was a dangerous situation, IMO. plus i think it is SO much more inviting for the horse to load ( and unload) in a slant, the big open door(s) in the back make it seem like going into a real stall, rather than a narrow cubicle. plus, depending on your hors'es size, you may have the option of having them back out OR turn around and walk out frontwards... PLUS you get a cool dressing room!
highgatefarm
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-05-03 4:23 PM (#24660 - in reply to #24592)

Regular

I hear what both sides are saying.  I have hauled in both.  I like the slant but my warmblood filly is just to big even using two stalls.  Her nose jams into the side wall ( left turns ) and she can not stretch her neck out in a relaxed position.  I decided on a custom Hawk 2 horse straight load with a side ramp.   I designed the bulk head wall at an angle like the slant so I could put in a side tack on the road side.  It is 7'8" tall 7'6" wide and I feel like my horse, or two horses, side by side have plenty of room and I don't have to back them out just walk them off the 5' side ramp on the ditch side.  I feel safe for my horse with this set up, and myself.  I have a nice big dress area with no equipment clutter.  I basically designed the trickest trailer I have ever seen that works for me.  Sundowner makes a straight load with side ramp also but only comes 6.9 wide or 8' and is much more expensive than the Hawk.  You just have to figure out what works for your horse and you. T
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-05-03 10:01 PM (#24683 - in reply to #24592)

Expert

A trailer of any given width and length only has so many square feet of floor.
What you take for tack and camper comes out of the horse area.
I think that the head to head configuration gives the horses the maximum amount of 'personal space'. So what if its 30ft on the floor ?, it doesn't take THAT much more actual road space or skill to drive. I think its worth spreading the horses out, for heat density and their personal space reasons (think stress). There is still space for tack, just no little triangular cupboard in the back for a saddle rack.
I'm not saying I'll do it again, but 2500 miles in 4 days was bearable FOR THE HORSES in a 4 horse head to head trailer, though the third day was kinda hard at about 710 due to (non)availability of overnight stabling.
I really can't see doing that trip in a shoulder to shoulder configuration.
Forget having to feed and water them at rest stops from outside the trailer with heads popping out, kids feeding them fingers, trucks/cars whooshing by and all THAT )-:
I want to be able to get IN the trailer WITH the horses and tend to them (somewhat) like in a center aisle barn.

Edited by Reg 2005-05-03 10:24 PM
highgatefarm
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-05-03 11:26 PM (#24688 - in reply to #24592)

Regular

I agree totally with giving a horse space to breath, drink, and eat.  I have one horse and when I can own two or three I will be ordering up a 4 horse head to head.  It is better for the horses I think going long distances.  I off loaded four Warmbloods from a head to head van down a huge steep ramp (with side) in the middle of the night after a 14 hour ride, they were in great shape and not at all sore the next day.  I am sold on head to heads.....  I feel sorry for horse that have to travel 4,6,8,etc...sholder to shoulder with their necks all bent.  Does not mean that it is wrong just means I would not do that to a horse....T
NCpaintluvr
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-05-04 8:07 AM (#24696 - in reply to #24592)

Pardon my ignorance, but is "head to head" a straight load and "shoulder to shoulder" a slant?
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-05-04 8:24 AM (#24697 - in reply to #24696)

Expert

Originally written by NCpaintluvr on 2005-05-04 8:07 AM

Pardon my ignorance, but is "head to head" a straight load and "shoulder to shoulder" a slant?

I was using "head to head" to mean a straight load trailer in which some of the horses face the direction of travel and others face the opposite direction. The horses in front ride backwards, those in back ride forwards, when stationary it is almost like a center aisle barn with the aisle running across the trailer. The horses can be taken out and replaced in any order, handy at events if you're using the trailer as a mini stable.

I was using "shoulder to shoulder" partly to express the thought that in a slant load trailer the horses are packed beside each other and slightly behind/ahead of each other, though all facing the same general diagonal direction. I suspect that this "almost behind each other" position may be stressful, though I've never actually discussed this with a horse or anyone who at any time has actually been a horse (to their knowledge, though I have my doubts about some of those who are REALLY starting to look like their pets).

(-:
NCpaintluvr
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-05-04 8:44 AM (#24701 - in reply to #24697)

LOL!! Thanks for the explanation....  I'm only in the market looking for a 2-horse, so I didn't even know that there were trailers like the first one you described with horses traveling backwards and forwards facing each other!  I certainly have seen those HUGE trailers on the interstate, but never really thought about the interior layout.

Thanks!

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-05-04 9:22 AM (#24706 - in reply to #24701)

Expert

Originally written by NCpaintluvr on 2005-05-04 8:44 AM

LOL!! Thanks for the explanation.... I'm only in the market looking for a 2-horse, so I didn't even know that there were trailers like the first one you described with horses traveling backwards and forwards facing each other! I certainly have seen those HUGE trailers on the interstate, but never really thought about the interior layout.

Thanks!

Oh yeah ?, THIS year its about a 2 horse - ask again in '07 (-:

It isn't THAT huge - is it ?
If you get the good loaders in first facing backwards the hard loaders will usually take it as a sign that the trailer is an OK place to be. There is a bit of a trick to taking them up the side ramp and backing them in, but a horse that can be backed up (straight) on a lead rope can usually be backed into a stall.
I think they like looking at each other, it gives them a chance to discuss their humans, their tack, events, recent lessons, grooming, etc. so the miles just go by for them... (-:

Next time waive me down, I'm always (well, usually) only too pleased to show mine off and "talk horse" (and/or talk hoarse).

sundance's girl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2005-05-04 5:02 PM (#24726 - in reply to #24592)

I thought slant loads were the way to go.  I had heard, that when put in a open stock trailer going down the road horses naturally took a slanted stand.  I just looked this subject up, as I am getting ready to put the money down for my first trailer.  I found this article which basically says that even in a straight load most horses can still find the room to slant their stand for comfort. 

http://http://www.horse-sense.org/archives/20040620082512.phtml

I imagine though there are other articles with a opposite viewpoint, especially with so many slant load trailers out there.

hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-05-04 5:10 PM (#24727 - in reply to #24688)

Expert

n my slant, even the largest horses (16.3 and a neck like a giraffe!) can travel with necks straight and in total comfort.  The slant you used was probably too narrow.
xyzer
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2005-05-05 12:20 AM (#24738 - in reply to #24592)

Extreme Veteran

"Can someone please educate me on the pros and cons of slant load vs straight load trailers?  I'm currently trailer shopping and am seeing a lot more slant loads these days."

And then there is the multi use of a Horse trailer. I have both..My wife has a 2horse side by for the local rides and the long hauls We use the 3horse G/N slant . I have hauled furnurture, 4-wheelers, panels and some hay in the slant....the side by side won't haul much more than horses.  

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-05-05 6:48 AM (#24743 - in reply to #24738)

Expert

Originally written by xyzer on 2005-05-05 12:20 AM

"Can someone please educate me on the pros and cons of slant load vs straight load trailers? I'm currently trailer shopping and am seeing a lot more slant loads these days."

And then there is the multi use of a Horse trailer. I have both..My wife has a 2horse side by for the local rides and the long hauls We use the 3horse G/N slant . I have hauled furnurture, 4-wheelers, panels and some hay in the slant....the side by side won't haul much more than horses.

Doesn't the center divider come out ?

My 2 horse straight load is also used as a utility trailer, the 4 horse straight is a FINE moving van, though I really DO prefer freight that is able to walk on and doesn't need to be carried.
One of the DISadvantages of keeping trailer interiors very clean when not in use is that friends needing house moves start to get closer to you (-:

NCpaintluvr
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-05-05 7:29 AM (#24744 - in reply to #24592)

Ha! Guess it would be handy for other uses as well! I didn't think of that...

I'm off to check out a couple of '05 Trailer-ets this morning. (And thanks to a previous suggestion, I did a search and found a LOT of info on them in some past threads!)  I have my eye on a Gore that I really like ~ but the Trailer-et is about $1500 less, so it's worth a look.

Both are straight loads and, based on much of what I've read on this forum, it appears that slants are pretty popular these days. Oddly enough, around here (don't know about elsewhere) straight loads tend to appeal to certain riding disciplines, and slant loads to others....

Anyway, I love this site ~ it has been incredibly helpful to me! THANKS!

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-05-05 10:49 AM (#24752 - in reply to #24744)

Expert

Originally written by NCpaintluvr on 2005-05-05 7:29 AM

Ha! Guess it would be handy for other uses as well! I didn't think of that...

I'm off to check out a couple of '05 Trailer-ets this morning. (And thanks to a previous suggestion, I did a search and found a LOT of info on them in some past threads!) I have my eye on a Gore that I really like ~ but the Trailer-et is about $1500 less, so it's worth a look.

Both are straight loads and, based on much of what I've read on this forum, it appears that slants are pretty popular these days. Oddly enough, around here (don't know about elsewhere) straight loads tend to appeal to certain riding disciplines, and slant loads to others....

Anyway, I love this site ~ it has been incredibly helpful to me! THANKS!

That (for the straight loads) might be the riding disciplines for which folk are using the LARGER horses ?
Sure, you can get slant load trailers with special partition spacing and different partition angles to MAKE it work for the larger horses, but you'd have to know ahead of time what your horses needs are and are likely to be in the near and mid future. If you're only thinking in terms of a 2 or 3 year ownership cycle then your horse sizes might be fairly stable (pun) and youcan probably know what divider angle and spacing will work with what interior width. Good luck trying to predict ALL THAT ! I'll stick with stalls that are 45 inches straight across and a 10ft distance between facing chest bars.
I can live with the 30ft floor length.
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-05-05 10:57 AM (#24753 - in reply to #24592)

Expert

I personally prefer straights for my big'uns.  And recent studys show horses turn around and face the back of the trailer while hauling loose.  Another point for straights and rear facing slants.

Think of it this way:

When you are watching your horse run and play.  Do they stop front to back?  YES, because horses are designed to take starting and stopping in a straight line.  In a straight load horses can use their body the right way to adjust to traveling.  Slants use the horses sides to start and stop them.  Top performance horses can't afford to have a tired left back leg and a sore right shoulder.  If I want a top performance out of my ride how can I cram them in like sardines?  Long distance haulers use almost exclusively straights, so if I already have a straight then I can load up and haul anywhere with a minimum amount of stress on the horses.  Straights also allow you to load one at a time and unload or access one at a time.  Slants are like giant purses, the one you want is always buried at the bottom.

I think my next trailer will be a Hawk/Equispirt 3 horse straight/slant...more and more makers are producing similar models...I'll have mine bid out by 5-6 makers before I make my deal.

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-05-05 2:29 PM (#24764 - in reply to #24592)

Expert

In one of the previous threads about this an opinion was expressed that horses HAD TO back out of a straight load trailer and that might be problematic for some. I didn't think much of it at the time since I was using the 4 horse trailer with side ramps and could always walk them out forwards. Since that thread I've backed one horse out from the 2 horse straight load bumper pull and then swung the divider around and allowed the other horse to turn in the trailer and walk out forwards - well OK, so he just about jumped, but he'll get it with practice. OK, only one can turn and walk out forwards, but if you know one can back off then thats the one you unload first.

This is in a 7ft wide 2 horse trailer, I'm not very confident that it would work with a 6' 6" wide trailer and a LARGE horse, but if you have large horses you probably don't buy 6 1/2 ft wide trailers anyway.
highgatefarm
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-05-06 9:47 AM (#24779 - in reply to #24592)

Regular

I am going to try an experiment.  I will soon have my 2 horse straight load that will have a nice big side ramp.  I am going to take out the divider and only use the side ramp to load and unload.  My horse will know that this is the only way out, off the side ramp.  I will let her ride loose because the trailer is 7.6 wide with plenty of room to turn around for a short ride.  ( I design the wheel wells inside with Hawk to taper up from the floor, 4" two 2" at the side with 3" wall pad.  This gives more turn around space as well as hip room for wide horses standing side by side.  Like warmbloods and drafts.  They can spread their back legs and potting in a natural position.  No wheel wells at the back legs.  Ok so I predict that my horse will stand facing the side ramp while being hauled because she will be waiting for me to open the door.  I think horse stand backward at the back door because they want out !!  Maybe I am wrong but would like to find out.  The Hawk 3 horse straight load / slant looks like a great options for someone with two or three horses.  T    
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-05-06 11:06 AM (#24783 - in reply to #24779)

Expert

I tried that with my current trailer and they rode forward  I think they face backwards in a stock to keep the wind out of their face.  Like they turn tail to the wind during a storm or on a windy day.
keliy23
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-05-17 12:15 PM (#25213 - in reply to #24592)

I didn't read all the post mentioned here so I may be repeating something already said.

I was told that if you stand and have someone push you gentle from the back, you will want to put your foot forward from falling, but if someone was to push you gentle from the side your body sways with the motion. This would be the same as if you were the horse riding in the horse trailer. So it kinda makes sense that the slant would be better for the horse to stand and have better balance while stopping and going, and even while turning.

I have also been told, and I have done this, is to put your horse in an open stock trailer so that it may turn it's body in any which direction it wants while you drive down the road. My horses have always turned their body sideways as if in a slant trailer. So yet again it makes me to believe that a slant is better.

I have also been told that you should be able to access all your horses at all times in the case of an emeregency. With the new slant trailers and them all having drop down windows, this becomes an ease. I have always personally liked the idea of a two horse straight load so that I may load and unload any horse to my liking unlike the slant were you have to unload the last horse to reach the first horse. Well my better mind got to me and even in a four horse stock trailer, you still have to unload the last two horses before reaching the front two.

So to wrap up what I think, the choice is mainly preference, but think of what your horses like the best. In my mind, even after perferring the straight load for so many years, I too will be getting a slant load.

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)