'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Fords integrated brake controller

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-05-03 10:38 AM
3 replies, 3854 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

pamwilson
Reg. Sep 2004
Posted 2005-05-02 11:05 AM (#24572)
Subject: Fords integrated brake controller

Anyone tried this yet? I just got an 05 F350 with the IBC.  I had an extra 7 prong plug put in the bed of my truck when my GN hitch was installed.  The IBC system beeps at me when I brake using the bed plug. The trailer is braking, but I get the beep and sometimes I get "TRAILER DISCONNECTED" message in the info panel on my dash.  The hitch place was nice enough to replace the bed plug for me, but that didn't help. They bashed ford and said it was a bad idea and other have had problems with IBC too.  My trailer is brand spankin new as well, so I'm stuck on where the problem is 1) plug in the bed of the truck 2) trailer plug 3) Fords IBC system. 

The factory plug works better, which is why I took my truck back to the hitch guy initially, but since then the IBC system beeped at me when using the factory plug as well.  I have not had the trailer plug, since I'm sure they would want proof too that it really is their problem.  So what are your thoughts?  I thought it was just a bad connection at first, but maybe the Ford IBC system, hasn't worked out all the kinks yet.

My experinece with Ford warranty though, is that if they can't reproduce the problem there is nothing they can do.  And I would suspect they might say "get your trailer plug replaced" or worse yet bring the trailer to them. Their lot is setup such that I could not even get my rig to them let alone trusting some car mechanic to drive it.  Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Pamela

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-05-02 12:47 PM (#24577 - in reply to #24572)
Subject: RE: Fords integrated brake controller

Expert

Originally written by pamwilson on 2005-05-02 11:05 AM

Anyone tried this yet? I just got an 05 F350 with the IBC. I had an extra 7 prong plug put in the bed of my truck when my GN hitch was installed. The IBC system beeps at me when I brake using the bed plug. The trailer is braking, but I get the beep and sometimes I get "TRAILER DISCONNECTED" message in the info panel on my dash. The hitch place was nice enough to replace the bed plug for me, but that didn't help. They bashed ford and said it was a bad idea and other have had problems with IBC too. My trailer is brand spankin new as well, so I'm stuck on where the problem is 1) plug in the bed of the truck 2) trailer plug 3) Fords IBC system.

The factory plug works better, which is why I took my truck back to the hitch guy initially, but since then the IBC system beeped at me when using the factory plug as well. I have not had the trailer plug, since I'm sure they would want proof too that it really is their problem. So what are your thoughts? I thought it was just a bad connection at first, but maybe the Ford IBC system, hasn't worked out all the kinks yet.

My experinece with Ford warranty though, is that if they can't reproduce the problem there is nothing they can do. And I would suspect they might say "get your trailer plug replaced" or worse yet bring the trailer to them. Their lot is setup such that I could not even get my rig to them let alone trusting some car mechanic to drive it. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Pamela

I'd chase the ground connection(s).
There is at least a chance that whoever added the in bed connector relied on a doubtful ground. B'leeve it or not, ground is a very distributed thing on modern vehicles. It was bad enough when there were just; frame, engine and sheet metal grounds to deal with. On SOME recent trucks there is a trailer/camper (sub)harness already close by the middle of the bed on the driver's side, at least on the GMs it is a very simple matter to add a socket to that.
hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-05-02 3:26 PM (#24585 - in reply to #24572)

Expert

Do you have hydraulic brakes on your trailer?
RTSmith
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-05-03 10:38 AM (#24637 - in reply to #24572)

Elite Veteran

Unfortunately, you need to add another possibility-

4) Trailer problem.

We have installed several plugs as you describe & have not had the problem you are describing. But a number of folks are having issues with short & disconnected readings with the IBC as it is very much more sensitive than even the Prodigy. But basic troubleshooting would tell you that if it works on the OEM plug, and acts up with the bed plug- look aft of the OEM setup- ie aftermarket plug installation & connections.

RTSmith

Select Trailer Co.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World