'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Acid wash for trailers

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-05-16 4:55 PM
34 replies, 14708 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

trailer-bright
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2005-05-13 4:32 PM (#25078 - in reply to #24567)
Subject: RE: Acid wash for trailers

If you can get me a sample I'LL TEST IT. the product has been used on featherlight ,sundowner,essex,sooner stidham,chrokee,forestar and many more, with no problems.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
DLR
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2005-05-13 5:02 PM (#25080 - in reply to #25052)

Veteran

I believe I did read enough.  You stated on the web site 2 1/2 - 3 gal for 16 - 20 ft.  My trailer is 37 ft or 5 - 6 gal of your product or $85 plus @ the $17 rate.  I save less than $15 and have the labor.  I beleive I will stay at the $100 for a commerical job.  I have been doing for many years with no problems.  You sound like a good salesman. 

Edited by DLR 2005-05-13 5:05 PM
ASJ
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2005-05-13 8:13 PM (#25085 - in reply to #24567)

Veteran

The trailer brands that you mentioned do not have the bright (polished) aluminum on them. This is a rather new product being used on horse trailers now. (real pretty) I will try to see if someone will provide a sample for you to test. It would be nice to know if your product is safe for this type of alum.

Thanks 

trailer-bright
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2005-05-14 12:16 AM (#25092 - in reply to #25085)

Dave I,m also in the power wash business,wish you live in okla I,d like your business. If you out west a few of the truck wash places use our product due to EPA they don't like Acid. because it removes a layer of aluminum each time its used. thanks gary
ASJ
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2005-05-14 7:47 AM (#25098 - in reply to #24567)

Veteran

It only removes a minute amount of the mill finish only. The acid is removed almost immediately. usually one person is puttng it on while another is rinsing it off. It does not sit on your trailer... And I have never heard of washing a trailer eating it thin. But you know its nice to have other choices when it comes to cleaning your trailer. I would like to try your product for my gerneral cleaning and pay someone else to acid wash when it is time for that. But I believe the question was about cleaning an American Spirit. I think that every one would like to know if your product is safe for it. And again I will try to get a sample or if there is some one out there who has access to this alum product and would be willing to provide a sample it would be very nice too.

Thanks

DLR
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2005-05-14 11:15 AM (#25111 - in reply to #25092)

Veteran

Gary,

I am sure you are in a lot of businesses.  I have a power washer but do have the acid bath done commerically.

trailer-bright
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2005-05-14 11:29 AM (#25112 - in reply to #24567)

I,ve worked with acid for 15 years I,m well aware of the damage it can do.

to painted metal, raw aluminum,and humans. as long as the right mix is maintained no problem,but you can't very much. before we develop rail cleaner we sold a lot of acid still have customers that use our acid. well enough said I have a excellent product for people who are concerned about the enviroment, their safty and live too far from a truck wash. I know their is a market --all you have to do is drive by an event anywhere in the us and you'll see more dirty trailers than kleen.

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-05-14 12:44 PM (#25114 - in reply to #24567)

Expert

I think I believe the following to be (more or less) true;

Aluminum and the alloys of it that are used in horse trailers "oxidize" in the presence of air and water (moisture). This causes them to turn darker, which many find unattractive and regard as "dirty".
The initial layer of oxide on the surface forms a protective film, slowing futher oxidation.
There are a very limited number of ways to remove the layer of oxide(s), primarily acids and abrasives.
Black streaks come from the initial formation of oxide that gets washed off and down the sides of the trailer.

I am curious as to what "chemicals" are being marketed for cleaning aluminum trailers that are not acidic, i.e. if not acids what ARE they and how do they remove the layer of oxides ? (chemically).
What chemicals in the "treatments" is used to retard the formation of oxides and how do they do that ? I mean CHEMICALLY, how do they do that ?
Alternatively, how do they form barriers to air and moisture (oxygen and water) ?

Just wondering...

zipzipzippo
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-05-16 4:27 PM (#25182 - in reply to #24567)

New User

The chemicals at AFPchemical.com is the best products to use.  I have 2 miles of dirt road and my trailer looks brand new!  You can use as much or as little as you want, depending on how dirty it is.  The best part is you don't have to wax the white skin after washing like you do when you have is acid washed!  Its easy to use, just spray it on and rinse it off, no scrubbing!  Try it, you'll love it.

Tyler

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-05-16 4:55 PM (#25185 - in reply to #25182)

Expert

Originally written by zipzipzippo on 2005-05-16 4:27 PM

The chemicals at AFPchemical.com is the best products to use. I have 2 miles of dirt road and my trailer looks brand new! You can use as much or as little as you want, depending on how dirty it is. The best part is you don't have to wax the white skin after washing like you do when you have is acid washed! Its easy to use, just spray it on and rinse it off, no scrubbing! Try it, you'll love it.

Tyler

Hi and Welcome to the Forum.

Tell me WHAT it is first.
Tell me HOW it works.
Tell me HOW it removes aluminum oxides.
Maybe I'll love it, maybe I won't.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version