'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Winding Stair Nat'l Rec Area Equestrian Trails Okla

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-05-27 11:55 AM
11 replies, 4214 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Longrider
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2005-05-01 8:08 PM (#24563)
Subject: Winding Stair Nat'l Rec Area Equestrian Trails Okla

Extreme Veteran

Anyone else ridden these trails and how did you like them?  This is beautiful area of OK reminds me a lot of parts of Colorado.  Trails are steep and rocky in areas.  Campground with amenities are great.  NFS does good job on maintenance.  Still don't understand why Texas Parks doesn't wake up and smell the coffee for more equestrian facilities.  They have MANY RV campgrounds but few equestrian oriented.  Oh well, looks like OK WANTS riders to come to their state.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
RbarL
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-05-04 3:39 PM (#24723 - in reply to #24563)
Subject: RE: Winding Stair Nat'l Rec Area Equestrian Trails Okla

Regular

I had to think about those trails. Cedar Lake is a trail head for them. It is a good camp ground. I have been there once. We just got back from Horse Heaven. It is in the same area but is a private camp that has trails in the Nat'l forest also. I liked the trails there better. Robber's Cave is also in that same vicinity.

It's funny that you want to come to ride in OK and we love to go ride in TX. We have been there twice this year already.

Longrider
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2005-05-04 7:26 PM (#24730 - in reply to #24563)

Extreme Veteran

RBart,  Where do you ride in TX?  We have been to 3 endurance rides in OK within the last 7 months- Bell Cow Lake at Clayton, Cougar Prowl west of McAlester, and the Winding Stair.  Cougar Prowl was the only one that didn't have campsite amenities, but it's a beautiful place to ride.  The others had all the amenities and even though we have a built in generator, we love being able to hook up with electricity and water.  We have Lake Ray Roberts not too far, but the trail is BLAND!  Only 7 miles and flat. But, they do have hookups.  The rest are south of us and traveling through Dallas-Ft Worth, Austin, and San Antonio is the pits with the traffic and pulling a trailer.  We ride at LBJ just about every weekend, but we love going somewhere else probably like you do.  See you on the trails.

RbarL
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-05-05 12:41 PM (#24758 - in reply to #24563)

Regular

LongRider -
We have ridden at LBJ, Caprock, Palo Duro, a ranch at Pidcoke(AQHA ride) and our favorite place in at Hill Country SNA at Bandera.

We lived in AR before we moved to OK(I moved back to OK, hubby is from AR). Eastern OK is alot like AR but is much closer and we like that. Our friends can meet us there.

We have never ridden at Bell Cow at Chandler. A lot of the ladies and gents on Horsebuddies ride there.

We have friends that like to ride at Valley Mills down there in TX. We haven't been but want to go. They also ride at Parrie Haynes quite a bit. They live near Waco. I think there is a ranch near Killeen that has trails. C bar or something like that. We haven't been there or Parrie Haynes yet.
maccwall
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2005-05-05 5:34 PM (#24768 - in reply to #24758)

Extreme Veteran

Cedar Lake is a very nice campground but I would definately make reservations in advance cause they are always full. So is Robbers Cave.

We are regulars at LBJ as well. Love the place and it's close enough to us. Been to Caprock and like it as well, very pretty but I wouldn't go in the summer :P. Have yet to go to Bandera yet but that is planned this fall. :) If you want some trail maps of these areas, PM me with your e-mail address and I'll e-mail them to you. They are topo maps with the trails on them most of which I've mapped out with my GPS

Safe Riding,
Todd
oklahoma horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-05-26 2:45 PM (#25729 - in reply to #24563)

Regular

Hey RBarL, found you on this forum too (I should be working, yet I am goofing off)! I love Cedar Lake, wonderful riding, just went in April I think the campground is outstanding. I haven't been to Horse Heaven yet but plan to next fall. Remember at Cedar Lake though, only about half of the spots are reservable. The rest are first come, first served. So if you go Wed. or Thursday, you shouldn't have any trouble finding a camping spot through the weekend.

Going to Wilburton, Robbers Cave, next week for the National Trails Ride. Do you have a topo map of Robbers Cave? If so, I would love a copy. I seem to always go in circles there!

Yes, we would LOVE all of you to come to Oklahoma and ride. I have been amazed to see that most of our horse camps in Oklahoma have hookups, bath houses, etc. Most other states have no facilities at their camps, including most at Texas. So weird!

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-05-26 4:28 PM (#25732 - in reply to #24768)

Expert

We used to go to Bandera all the time before the kids showed up.  (so its been about 10yrs)  The state park has/had a limited number of pens and no hook ups.  Generators had to be off by 10 or 11.  There was a barn in one of the campgrounds but we never used them so I don't know what was charged for them.  There were quite a few trails that were easy to follow, but my favorite wasn't well marked and sometimes I think we were off the trail. 
RbarL
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-05-27 10:31 AM (#25743 - in reply to #24563)

Regular

Hi OkHorse - I am everywhere.

RbarL
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-05-27 10:37 AM (#25745 - in reply to #24563)

Regular

OKhorse - I have those maps that Todd posted about if you want me to forward them to you. He has done a great job and it is sooooooooooooo nice of him to share.
oklahoma horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-05-27 11:13 AM (#25749 - in reply to #24563)

Regular

Thanks Treva! Maybe I won't have to go in circles this time!
RbarL
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-05-27 11:16 AM (#25750 - in reply to #24563)

Regular

OKhorse - Boogie looks good in your Avatar. Is he still clean? R's horse rolled in the red sand. He has a very nice orange color right now.

oklahoma horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-05-27 11:55 AM (#25752 - in reply to #24563)

Regular

I have been using show polish on him once a week and that really seems to be repelling the orange dirt!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)